The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Soarin' Over Pgh

and the slythering house-themed bathrooms.

I seriously LOL'd at this. Sad thing is, it'd probably be true.

I would still love to see the concept art for Disneys Potterland, though. (Ahem, @Lee ... Anything that could, you know, accidentally fall off the back of the proverbial truck and somehow land face up for us?)

I don't blame JK Rowling for ultimately deciding against Disney and going with Universal. After seeing Jedi Mickey, I can't say I blame her one bit. What a mockery Disney has made of Star Wars. I still have hope for an awesome SW land/world someday, but shudder to think of the gift shop options.

PrincessNelly_NJ

I would still love to see the concept art for Disneys Potterland, though. (Ahem, @Lee ... Anything that could, you know, accidentally fall off the back of the proverbial truck and somehow land face up for us?)

I don't blame JK Rowling for ultimately deciding against Disney and going with Universal. After seeing Jedi Mickey, I can't say I blame her one bit. What a mockery Disney has made of Star Wars. I still have hope for an awesome SW land/world someday, but shudder to think of the gift shop options.
But that's Disney's MO.
They have to simplify and dumb down everything to capture guest attention. Can you imagine a Harry Potter Mickey? Or Snape Goofy?
I can't wait to see what they do with Pandora because I know they "Disney-ify" somehow.

GiveMeTheMusic

Midway Mania with wands at DHS and a magical creatures petting zoo. That was the pitch, according to a friend of mine in the company. I'm sure Tony Baxter could have come up with something much more fitting, but we all know how much work he got in recent years.

Nemo14

th

NearTheEars

Generally, hotel profitability is rather like a hockey stick. Using a fictitious hotel as an example, a 50% occupancy rate is needed for that hotel to breakeven on profitability. Above that level, the incremental cost of servicing additional guests plummets. In this example, this difference in profitability between a 50% and a 60% occupancy rate can be significant.

Conversely, a slightly lower occupancy rate can have a tremendous effect on profitability.

Ideally, Disney wants to set room rates in order to maximize total profit. Disney wants to balance between occupancy and room rate to produce the greatest margin. This balance depends on what the market will bear.

Historically, WDW operated at an incredibly high occupancy rate that approached and often exceeded 90%.

In the last 5 years, WDW's occupancy has headed downward.

In 2013, WDW's hotel occupancy rate was in the mid-70% range, a level comparable to 2002, a time when WDW closed wings and even entire hotels in the post-9/11 environment.

There are several possible reasons for this. However, given the strong theme park attendance in the last couple of years, what's clear is that, in growing numbers, paying customers no longer are finding 'value' in onsite stays. The gap between actual price and perceived value has grown large enough so that hotel occupancy is down even as theme park attendance is up.

Ideally, Disney wants both high prices and high occupancy. The way to achieve this is to add perceived value in WDW's hotels, taking advantage of Disney's unique position.

We already are familiar with this concept with Extra Magic Hours (EMH) and Disney's Magical Express (DME). Both provide customers with reasons to spend more to stay onsite. However, at current prices, these are no longer enough, resulting in an erosion of WDW's occupancy rate.

Realistically, Disney is not going to lower prices. They are at the point where they run "30% off" promotions for most of the year and yet occupancy remains stubbornly low.

Therefore, Disney needs to find new ways to add perceived value to onsite stays. As an extreme example, if Disney offered "50% off" theme park tickets to onsite guests, then occupancy would skyrocket. MyMagic+ represents another opportunity for Disney to differentiate itself with area hotels to provide perceived value.

Unfortunately, Disney's current management has been insultingly obtuse in their pricing strategies of late.

The Disney Dining Plan (DDP) used to offer about the equivalent of a 20% discount to guests who purchased it. "Agree to stay onsite & eat all you meals at a Disney restaurant, and we'll offer a discount." More recently, DDP prices have increased so much that it pretty much requires ordering the most expensive item on the menu and eating every bite in order to realize any financial savings. Today's DDP is nothing more that a prepaid meal plan. If you want a prepaid meal plan that provides a better value, then go purchase a debit card before your trip.

Earlier this year, Disney raised the price of a 5-day ticket by $15 and then immediately offered a "free day" (the equivalent of $10) to parties of 6 or more. P.T. Barnum aside, most guests are not that stupid.

Disney management needs to get more creative and offer real value. Simplistically, Disney needs to find new ways for the customer to perceive $2 in value for something that cost Disney $1.

Thanks for the reply!

Soarin' Over Pgh

But that's Disney's MO.
They have to simplify and dumb down everything to capture guest attention. Can you imagine a Harry Potter Mickey? Or Snape Goofy?
I can't wait to see what they do with Pandora because I know they "Disney-ify" somehow.

Sadly I can and it's horrible.

Midway Mania with wands at DHS and a magical creatures petting zoo. That was the pitch, according to a friend of mine in the company. I'm sure Tony Baxter could have come up with something much more fitting, but we all know how much work he got in recent years.

That's supposed to be attractive to anyone, how? Glad Rowling made the right, smart decision and showed Disney the door.

I'm not really a huge HP fan (just saw the movies for the first time ever last month) but I can appreciate the immense and detailed lands being developed around the books and movies.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
For the record, I have never been to Universal and have no desire to go to Universal and just booked a two week vacation to Florida in October specifically for the Food and Wine festival and have made no plans to go to Universal. So while everyone wants to say how great Universal is, it still does not intrigue me in the least. Or my grand kids. I keep reading about coasters, Cedar Point has the best coaster collection on the planet and I can't stand that place anymore. Theme parks need substance not coasters.

Do you know Ive never ever seen a post like that on this site before.
Well done you.

BryceM

I used to stay at Portofino Resort yearly. I loved Islands of Adventure when it first opened. It was just the best themed park that I ever have been to IMHO. I also love The Simpsons, and thought the Simpsons ride was very well done. I was super excited for Potter, having read all the books, but I was very underwhelmed with Forbidden Journey and still am. I think it is the worst land in all of IOA, and I think certain Uni fans blow it up to be something much greater than it actually is.

To each their own though.
IoA is still the best theme park, for my money. I haven't been to DisneySea yet though. I do agree that I wish Harry Potter didn't replace that was the Lost Continent's Merlinwood. I thought it was detailed and themed to perfection, and I sure do miss the Enchanted Oak and the Dueling Dragons queue. Though, I'm also thankful for the addition of FJ, which made IoA have two of the best dark-rides in the world... But clearly you aren't (which is fine).

Last edited:

BryceM

For the record, I have never been to Universal and have no desire to go to Universal and just booked a two week vacation to Florida in October specifically for the Food and Wine festival and have made no plans to go to Universal. So while everyone wants to say how great Universal is, it still does not intrigue me in the least. Or my grand kids. I keep reading about coasters, Cedar Point has the best coaster collection on the planet and I can't stand that place anymore. Theme parks need substance not coasters.
There are three major roller coasters between the two parks, and those are Hulk (IoA), Dragon Challenge (IoA) and Hollywood Rip Ride RockIt (USF). Cedar Point has like, 18 roller coasters. In one park. Universal is not a roller coaster park... There is so much more to it.

BryceM

The question becomes is the poster misinformed or doing it purposefully? I honestly have no idea. I'll drop it since I don't really know for sure.
Besides, everyone knows that Universal is just a collection of video screen rides :p

(see, that was trolling)
It just seems troll-ish in an already hostile thread, with like, 30 pages of Diagon Alley talk and amazing pictures to compare Universal to Cedar Point and say it has no substance.

Idk.

Lee

Adventurer

I don't possess, nor have I ever seen, any Disney Potter art. I'm not even positive any real art exists for it.

I know discussions took place with JKR and WB, and that some vague proposals were made regarding an attraction, but I'm not convinced it ever went to a point where much was done as far as art/models go.

The sticking points were the fault of both sides. JKR/WB wanted a HUGE slice of the profits and creative control. Can't blame her on the profit end, but Disney was right about the design and ops issues with her ideas. Problem is, Disney had a line in the sand they wouldn't cross, killing any potential deal.

In the end, Uni gave them a great deal financially, and JKR softened her creative demands. They dusted off the unused "Van Helsing" plans and the rest is history.

At least, that's how I hear it...

Cesar R M

Btw guys, as anyone heard any rumor about a land been greenlighted.. but themed exclusively for WRECK IT RALPH and FROZEN for DISNEYLAND?

there is this rumor appearing in tumblr. but its just a dumb screenshot of an iphone post.

where they claim this:

2rqpAK9.jpg

34FLcqK.jpg

rael ramone

While UNI is not a 'coaster' park - preferring one park/resort to another is not wrong. Personally I think DAK is a 3 day park - without seeing a single show :eek:.

But what you read about here has the potential of making Roy/Card/Ron/Michael's park *better*. The competition up the road might pay dividends in the resort of your choice. If a person who's faith wavers in that formerly 47 square mile section of swampland gets revived by positive developments that get nudged by competition - what's it going to do to someone who already prefers the Mouses offerings? It's going to make their park even more enjoyable for themselves...

ps... enjoy your trip. have at least one meal at AKL. avoid F&W weekend nights. And if you go to F&W while Boys II Men are there, you'll notice the locals show up en masse - all dressed to the nines...

lazyboy97o

Similar to FJ, but with...you know...Van Helsing fighting monsters. Fortunately, in hindsight, the movie wasn't a hit. Otherwise that plot of land would be occupied by Hugh Jackman and Kate Beckinsale.
(Well...a Beckinsale AA might've been ok...)
I'd love to see Universal give more consideration to financial under performers that might still be strong as themed entertainment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom