New rope drop process at MK

COrunner

I have read through the posts, and I'm not sure I have seen a report whether being at the front of rope drop and leading the hoard actually puts you in a position of getting in the M&G without the wait, or whether there are already people in the park due to breakfasts that are able to line up before you.

Agreed,

Remembering the early days of the running of the bulls (nobody believes me that Test Track and Splash Mountain used to be 'the rides' that people would sprint too), The rope drop has become much more organized and you'll never remove the speed walking/jostling that will occur every morning.

My question is when did the M&G's become this crazy? I'm a child of the 80's you met the characters throughout the day as they strolled the park and at the character breakfast. As you get older meeting Mickey and crew takes a backseat I guess.

Tigger1988

My question is when did the M&G's become this crazy? I'm a child of the 80's you met the characters throughout the day as they strolled the park and at the character breakfast. As you get older meeting Mickey and crew takes a backseat I guess.
M&G's were crazy in the 90s and probably the 80s as well. The craziness and inability to form lines as the characters roamed led to the arrival of character attendants and set M&G areas.

Last edited:

Kman101

I'd think people would be grateful that the M&G's are indoors and air conditioned. Even outdoors you still have to form a queue of sorts. It's been that way for a loooong time. Not when the parks first opened I'm sure but over time, the crowds increased and you have to have a handler to guard the character.

I did notice Alice and the Queen of Hearts on the day of 24 hour party walking alone (but quickly) to their backstage area behind Chesire and they were stopping and briefly interacting with guests (Alice even leaned over the railing and shouted "hello down there!" and asked the queen if she wanted to go for a swim ... I love how in character they are), but it was 6 in the morning and the park was still pretty much dead. I know that's probably ideal to some, but it just isn't realistic at WDW.

Cesar R M

And yet somehow, if you listen to other posters, M&Gs were SO much better back then.
they were better in a way of "spontaneously" fun imho.
like they looked cool to meet in your way to an attraction.. not to meet and greet, sign papers and talk with people.
for all these others.. the fixed M&G are better.

Can you imagine if they did Anna and Elsa in the old way?
the poor gals would have been trampled already and the crazies gone into an all-or-nothing full fledged brawl.

Last edited:

yellowb

Just an update for anyone interested. We decided to test the rope drop walk to Princess Fairy Tale Hall last week during our trip. We arrived at about 7:10 AM for EMH. They did not let anyone through the ticket scans until about 7:30. We lined up at the rope at the left entrance. After the welcome show fireworks, they let everyone walk behind the two ropes. They merged after the front courtyard and separated again at the hub. We had a stroller and were able to stay directly behind the rope until the hub when the line went over the curb instead of the flat entry. The lines went through the castle, around the carousal. We went ahead and parked the stroller outside the Cinderella water fountain and continued around the carousal and into the already backed up line into Princess Fairy Tale Hall. Those who brought their strollers to the entrance were told they had to leave the line and go park the strollers, so if you have one, make sure you park it near the Cinderella fountain before you pass the carousal. Total time in line for Anna and Elsa was 30 minutes, which is excellent considering the later times. It was EMH, so I'm not sure if Fastpass+ starts at 8 or 9, so this may lengthen the standby time if you come on a non-EMH day. Hope this helps anyone interested in lining up to see Anna and Elsa.

COrunner

Can you imagine if they did Anna and Elsa in the old way?
the poor gals would have been trampled already and the crazies gone into an all-or-nothing full fledged brawl.

I can only think of the pushing that used to go on but magnified as there wouldn't be a queue to stop the crowd. Yeah that does not sound very fun.

cw1982

Just an update for anyone interested. We decided to test the rope drop walk to Princess Fairy Tale Hall last week during our trip. We arrived at about 7:10 AM for EMH. They did not let anyone through the ticket scans until about 7:30. We lined up at the rope at the left entrance. After the welcome show fireworks, they let everyone walk behind the two ropes. They merged after the front courtyard and separated again at the hub. We had a stroller and were able to stay directly behind the rope until the hub when the line went over the curb instead of the flat entry. The lines went through the castle, around the carousal. We went ahead and parked the stroller outside the Cinderella water fountain and continued around the carousal and into the already backed up line into Princess Fairy Tale Hall. Those who brought their strollers to the entrance were told they had to leave the line and go park the strollers, so if you have one, make sure you park it near the Cinderella fountain before you pass the carousal. Total time in line for Anna and Elsa was 30 minutes, which is excellent considering the later times. It was EMH, so I'm not sure if Fastpass+ starts at 8 or 9, so this may lengthen the standby time if you come on a non-EMH day. Hope this helps anyone interested in lining up to see Anna and Elsa.

Thanks for the useful information! I understand the need to not have strollers in those queues for safety/hazard reasons (evacuating a line that size in the middle of the day if half the groups have at least one stroller could be deadly in an emergency), but now I feel even worse for people who wait in those lines for that long. I couldn't imagine having to hold a little one for five hours, plus carrying the diaper bag that would have been under the stroller (since any parent would be taking a huge gamble to knowingly go anywhere without a diaper bag for five hours lol... and no way would I leave it sitting in the stroller anyway!). I can only imagine how much more tiring that must make the situation.

Matt_Black

well, they were more spontaneous..
now seems something you'd see out of mcdonalds ( a queued line)

Again, there are benefits to the current set-up. For instance, you've got a family who might only get one trip ever to WDW, and their kids want to meet Cinderella SO badly. Welp, kids, unless you're in the right place at the right time, you're SOL. (Granted, random meets today it's a little easier to do "right place at the right time" if you've got a smart phone and follow the right sites).

Now, everyone has a fair chance to meet the classic characters, and I don't think that's a bad thing. Combine that with it being safer for cast members and reduced chance of rude guests pushing their way forward, the current system is better, in my opinion.

Facepalm

When we went as kids, you never had the expectation, nor really the desire to meet the characters. I am not sure when that changed. I mean, me and my sisters knew it was some random dude/ette in a stuffed Mickey Mouse costume...I still can't fathom how it became a thing. Maybe its the autographs. We were always mildly annoyed by the characters..my how things change!

COrunner

When we went as kids, you never had the expectation, nor really the desire to meet the characters. I am not sure when that changed.

Agreed,

It was fun to look at my autograph book when I went as a kid and most were from the character breakfast. But the characters weren't the drive, the park and rides were.

The change I think has come from the new theme park experience. Where it used to be about the ride (potc) and loosely based area (adventure land)where now it is being immersed from the moment you enter the area (toon town). Plus when I was growing up the draw was the new rides. Star Tours, Test track, splash mountain, tower of terror.

PolynesianPrincess

I was very surprised when I went to DL and saw Peter Pan all by himself signing autographs and taking pictures. He had no attendent and everyone who wanted a picture just got in line. No one tried to go right up to him, no one crowded him, everyone just took it upon themselves to form a line. It was mind blowing. Had that been at WDW he would have been swamped! I have noticed though at WDW the last few trips some of the characters without attendants. During the Halloween party, the step-sisters were mingling in Town Square. They had an attendent but she was not near them. She was kind of watching from afar. They messed around with the guests and stuff. No one mauled them or crowded them. It was neat to see since that's how I remember the characters being when I was younger.

Tigger1988

you explicitly mentioned "have multiple strangers in my photo with Pluto".
Which makes your post sounds like you only worry is a photo of the character in question.
99% of meet and greet encounters involve a photo, do they not?

Do you often try to just stand around and converse with foam heads?

Meet and greets were not more enjoyable at WDW when they were unstructured. Anyone who experienced them can tell you that.

Cesar R M

99% of meet and greet encounters involve a photo, do they not?
The problem is, you seem to be moving goalposts now..
Now your post sounds like dont care about the interaction between the characters and the kids!.

Do you often try to just stand around and converse with foam heads?
foamheads? no.. but there are princesses and other FACE characters.. you forgot Peter Pan or Gaston?
It seems you're trying your best to cherrypick.

Meet and greets were not more enjoyable at WDW when they were unstructured. Anyone who experienced them can tell you that.
And why you just didn't said this directly?
This is a very valid problem (and as other mentioned.. the rush, shoving, pushing and potential danger to the cast members) when the meet and greets were Unstructured.

My point about characters being spontaneous. Is when they roam a bit freely not for photos but for interacting with a few guests (like how Peter Pan does or Gaston do).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom