Appalling state of the monorail cabins

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I rode in Monorail Coral twice yesterday and it is really bad. The second time on the way back to Epcot from MK there was an AC leaking onto one of the seats, enough that a passenger warned us not to sit down there as the seat was wet. Also general upkeep on paint and panels is just awful. Any update on monorail refurbs?
No refurbs lined up that I am aware of other than the automation system.

tissandtully

The other night we observed a monorail CM pick up garbage out of one of the cabins and shove it down in the space between the train and track. Is this normal cleanup procedures? Seemed so odd!

I also saw a WHOLE bunch / bundle? (like the way they carry them in the MK) of Mickey balloons in the woods outside of Epcot along the monorail track. Looks like they got away, haha.

Kman101

Monorails have looked to be in terrible condition. The outsides look dirty. Can't they scrub them? It's clear it's dirt and they look awful running on the rails.

They're definitely determined to run them into the ground.

Kman101

Yes! The seats are disgusting. They really need to re-do the inside and actually clean the outsides. It doesn't seem that difficult (yes I know they run so much but really ... let's get some maintenance going.) They also sound like they're about to die each and every time it takes off.

Communicore

The monorails are fine. I mean it's the iconic monorail. People are not gonna boycott it and first time visitors are always in awe of it. Win-win for Disney. It's just like the parks, who cares about adding new things if we are guaranteed visitors regardless.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
This was at the MK platform. Wonder what it looks like under there...eek.
meg.jpg

SorcererDonald16

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I rode in Monorail Coral twice yesterday and it is really bad. The second time on the way back to Epcot from MK there was an AC leaking onto one of the seats, enough that a passenger warned us not to sit down there as the seat was wet. Also general upkeep on paint and panels is just awful. Any update on monorail refurbs?
Either Coral or Orange (not sure which as I have trouble distinguishing those colors) broke down yesterday afternoon on the Epcot line not too far from the TTC and had to be towed. First time I've ever seen that happen, and really glad I wasn't on it since I was in a hurry (I was there specifically to ride the monorail to Epcot).

Jeffxz

While we're on the subject of transportation in need of attention, some of the parking lot trams could really use a new coat of paint on the seats too.

PolynesianPrincess

It saddens me to see the monorails in this state. Yes, I understand they are running a lot.. Yes, I understand lots of people use them on a daily basis. But MOLD? That is absolutely disgusting, not to mention a health hazard!

The monorail used to be one thing I really looked forward to when I was younger and we went to Disney. Riding it was such a thrill for me. If I were a first time visitor to WDW, I would be shocked at the condition of them. We've cut back our Disney vacations from going 2-3 times a year with APs to 0. Mostly because if TDO isn't going to keep up with the parks and keep them up to the Disney standard that Walt set so long ago, then we're not going to give them our money. We will be staying on property for 1 night post cruise in November and that's only because we want to fly home Sunday instead of Saturday. We're planning on staying at either WL or possibly GF so I will have to check the monorails out then.

Kman101

For the 24 hour party I happily stayed off-property, payed $51 for a very very nice room right before going under the WDW arches, through Hotwire. I was more than happy with the room. A room like that would have easily been over $100 on-property.

I could have stayed on-site for around $81ish dollars with my AP discount (plus $30 in taxes of course, so it would have STILL been over $100).

And as a bonus, when I went to park in the morning, the system was down so they just waved people through.

Marc Gil

Okay, some of you guys are exaggerating...

The Monorails indeed need some TLC, but dang they're not all that horrible!

(Anxiously awaiting for this post to be quoted :D)

Last edited:

s8film40

The other night we observed a monorail CM pick up garbage out of one of the cabins and shove it down in the space between the train and track. Is this normal cleanup procedures? Seemed so odd!
This is actually very common, been going on for a long long time and not as bad as it sounds. Trash and various other items falls down there all the time anyway. The troughs are cleaned on a regular basis, this has varied over the years but usually been at least once week. For the fast paced work environment in monorails it's usually faster and more efficient to just kick trash in there rather than pick it up and walk over to a trash can. I'm sure Disney would prefer the CM's pick it up and throw it away, but ultimately it's better in the trough than on the platform.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom