PHOTOS - Disney reveals new lobby design and Trader Sam's lounge for the Polynesian

disney4life2008

Honestly, the photos look no different than any "tropical/polynesia" themed resort in the United States - even in Orlando. What set the Poly apart was its distinct features. Ah well - I never stay there anyway. And I suspect in the coming years Ohana will see cutbacks which will eliminate my need to go there. In the back of my head - I have a feeling disney execs would want Ohana somewhere else (not in their main area)) given the amount of traffic the resturant brings in.

Father Robinson

The water feature was not discussed, only a 5 second mention of a re-imagining of the GCH. There may have been a few boos from the audience if he mentioned the fountain removal specifically.

Bairstow

Question:

Is it obvious from the concept art whether this viewpoint is facing from the entrance towards the pool, or the other way around?

polynew-jpeg.52678

meyeet

Question:

Is it obvious from the concept art whether this viewpoint is facing from the entrance towards the pool, or the other way around?

polynew-jpeg.52678
I would say facing towards the pool. The outdoors seems to sunny and bright for it to be the front doors with the overhang and monorail station.

dgp602

What makes you suspect that? Why would they not include it in the artwork? Why would they not want to get visitors excited? I dont see any way how that Tiki statue could be made into something anywhere close to what the WF looks like. Disney is more known for value engineering designs, not improving on the original artwork.

Not sure where to start with this one. Do you have anything that could substantiate this claim? Who is the target audience? People that want to stay at a Hawaii themed resort? Why would anyone book a stay at a polynesian themed resort and be put off by the tropical theme, or same for WL? I cant imagine a person walking into either resort and feeling "put off" by the beauty and detail of it. How is it "smacking them upside the head"? Its not like there is a man twirling a fire baton in your face or simulated rain falling on you. What would qualify as "a taste" of the theme?
Excellent reply....

DKampy

Perhaps the lobby played into our nostalgia more than it should...I am in agreement I will miss this water feature...However My wife did not grow up with Disney unlike me. When I first introduced her to WDW...We went resort hopping...The Polynesian was perhaps her least favorite...the reasoning...the lobby felt dated...She said it felt we had stepped into the 70's. Perhaps this move will appeal more to the GP rather then Disney fanbois.

BoarderPhreak

I'm not sure I understand how the WF can appear "dated." It's a big square chunk extracted right off of a Hawaiian island.

Even looking around the lobby... I can see how someone would get a 70s vibe, with the dark walls, the colors, etc. But c'mon, this theme fits what I would think of Polynesia. Lava stone, orange-red colors, lush green vegetation, tiki bar... Of course, I suppose that could describe a few suburban basements too. :p

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

The water feature was not discussed, only a 5 second mention of a re-imagining of the GCH. There may have been a few boos from the audience if he mentioned the fountain removal specifically.

"One of those three hotels that existed October 1, 1971, the day Roy Disney dedicated Walt Disney World..."

Gotta evoke that nostalgia right away because they seem to have lost the ability (or the desire) to create anything TRULY original and awe inspiring. Thats what made the Poly special. You (used to) walk in and your blown away by a huge water fountain with parrots and birds in it, you hear the water cascading down, you smell the damp air, you feel like your in Hawaii. Now it will have none of that. And spare me the crap about "re-imagining" to keep it "fresh and vibrant". Please show me where the "imagination" is in the artist rendering. Really, please show me. They removed the "imagination" if you ask me. Fresh and vibrant = cheap and cost effective.

The above video is of WDW President George Kalogridis discussing the 3 hotels on opening day in 1971. The Contemporay was the flagship. The Polynesian was the completed first by a matter of days if not hours from my understanding. Fort Wilderness was the third but anything certainly not a hotel. What was this 3rd hotel that Walt Disney World President speaks of? This is WDW trivia 101. George doesn't know this? Kalogridis is in his position for other reasons and I will stand by that.

Bairstow

The above video is of WDW President George Kalogridis discussing the 3 hotels on opening day in 1971. The Contemporay was the flagship. The Polynesian was the completed first by a matter of days if not hours from my understanding. Fort Wilderness was the third but anything certainly not a hotel. What was this 3rd hotel that Walt Disney World President speaks of? This is WDW trivia 101. George doesn't know this? Kalogridis is in his position for other reasons and I will stand by that.

He probably just meant to say resort.

note2001

Fort Wilderness may not be a hotel in the true sense of the word, but the project certainly was a large one. Wiring, septec & water all had to be laid. Comfort stations, 2 stores, dock, playgrounds, welcome station and an entire train system were built. Oh, and a boat and trams were bought and the entire setup was staffed.

I can see him mistaking it for a hotel on the books, perhaps he should have visited it though ;)

Last edited:

Captain Neo

Does anyone else feel insulted by the fact that they keep pushing that there bringing back the original name of the resort?

"We are demolishing the Poly's unique features and beauty to save money but were bringing back the original name of the resort so love us!"

Also I was watching the avatar segment of George K's presentation and jesus can that guy look away from the teleprompter for more than 2 seconds? How about getting a manager who actually cares enough to know what products are coming to the park and be able to describe them from memory?

note2001

Does anyone else feel insulted by the fact that they keep pushing that there bringing back the original name of the resort?

"We are demolishing the Poly's unique features and beauty to save money but were bringing back the original name of the resort so love us!"

Also I was watching the avatar segment of George K's presentation and jesus can that guy look away from the teleprompter for more than 2 seconds? How about getting a manager who actually cares enough to know what products are coming to the park and be able to describe them from memory?

I'm not insulted by it, but it certainly does feel like they're missing the bigger issue. Typical Disney though, suppose I can understand why they do it. They stirred a hornet's nest and they don't want to keep poking it. Honestly confused why they released images of the new lobby to the public if they knew there was such a large fan base for the existing fountain. Was it to get the blow out of the way, to get feedback on the design, or were they genuinely unaware it would cause a ruckus?

The name change is all about marketing. They're bring back the name only because they're adding DVC. Anyone know how to say "Welcome home" in Polynesian?

Last edited:

TinkerBell9988

He never said you aren't allowed to feel or discuss it (another over the top leap by people like Andy C) - he said the info out there was wrong and hinted at some people need some balance. A comment that is far too true if you follow this 'community'. I mean, I spend a lot of time on forums.. but these twitter feeds are disturbing... and I've been in online communities for 30+ years.

Sometimes the peanut gallery needs a reminder they don't actually know everything. And what we have here is simply the peanut gallery lashing back because they got called out.

Amen. All around.

TinkerBell9988

That wasn't the point of contention.. his tweet was about the REASONS behind the changes. What specific claims he was speaking towards he did not highlight. Hasn't stopped a few from taking claim to being the focus of the tweet tho... some will never miss an opportunity to make something about themselves.
Finally, some sense. Thank you. You put it into words much better than I could. Friday and Saturday were an absolute mess in the Disney Twitter universe. For once, I kept quiet.

Yes, his tweet(s) were about the REASONS behind the changes, which he is legally bound to keep under wraps because, well, its his job. WDI did not *want* to take the fountain/waterfalls out because of design reasons. That's all he was trying to say.

Last edited:

Ijones88

I think Disney is messing with perfection changing the lobby like that. I've never encountered any crowd problems in that lobby, but I have sure enjoyed that little bit of tropical paradise on every visit to the
World. They seem to be getting very proficient at replacing something good with something bad....Journey, Spaceship Earth, Wonders of Life, Adventurers Club, etc etc etc. Just my 2 cents worth.

Bairstow

The more I think about the situation has we understand it, the less it makes sense.
Why would Disney remove the popular waterfall fountain, AND not replace it, AND various WDI employees have acted weirdly defensive or smug about the decision to do so?
We know that Disney has announced a major renovation of the resort's main lobby AND the pool area. We only have concept art of the former.
What if something grand is in the works for the pool area and the surrounding grounds, something that will echo the original waterfall feature in the lobby, to the extent that it would make it thematically redundant and cheap-looking when completed?

If there's one area where Disney's resorts have always marched forward, not backward in terms of scope and quality, its their swimming pools. I know this is speculation on my part, but what if Disney's overall plan for the Polynesian is to completely redo the main pool area with a large series of volcanic rock waterfalls that stretches all the way to where the also-rebuilt Captain Cook's quick-service restaurant will be? A master plan for the resort that would increase its status, but can't be revealed just yet would explain both the apparent "downgrade" of the lobby and the out of character behavior of WDI's staff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom