Disney to increase the number of FastPass+ entitlements per day and include park hopping

muteki

I'm wondering if there will be different definitions of "used" for FP+ choices. For example, if you got a FP for Illuminations but you can't get more than 3 unless you've used your first 3, then what then? It could be like DL where some attractions aren't linked together or tied to the limit, I assume.
Very good point. It would be crazy to get a FP+ for any of the evening shows if this were the case. Optimally, you would want to make your initial 3 as early in the day as possible.
Once they’ve used the three they’ve booked, we’ll enable them to select another at kiosks in the parks.
This is probably a given, but I hope I can use my phone too. Would like to avoid the kiosks altogether if I can.

All this is a step in the right direction, remove tiers and allow parkhopping and I would be happy. Linking reservations and managing your party is still a mess though.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
It will be interesting to see how this is actually implemented. What happens in the event of one of your FP+ being very late, or for example IllumiNations. Does that then really lock you into 3 per day, as the park will be closed once the third is used and the 4th becomes available.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I find the 'listening' hysterical myself... from the PR piece "We’ve heard from a number of guests.." - Really? Spinning it like it's some discovery that people wouldn't like being limited? That's just spindoctoring lies. The lack of transparency is deplorable.
Well yep, they could have reworded it that they have heard very loudly from a number of very irate guests at guest relations in the park that they do not like being limited to 3 FPs. I hear the pushback from APers, DVCers, and other big spenders has been pretty bad.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well yep, they could have reworded it that they have heard very loudly from a number of very irate guests at guest relations in the park that they do not like being limited to 3 FPs. I hear the pushback from APers, DVCers, and other big spenders has been pretty bad.

I just wish they were more up front with the fact they are phasing in functionality. Imagine how much bad blood would have been spared if they had laid a roadmap out.

lebeau

They probably will become permanent. There are many guests who are day guests and cannot prebook as well as those who do not have smart phones.

I meant the idea that 4th FPs wouldn't be available on the apps. I am sure the kiosks are permanent. Just not the need for everyone to use them for additional FPs.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I just wish they were more up front with the fact they are phasing in functionality. Imagine how much bad blood would have been spared if they had laid a roadmap out.
I would have liked that as well, but you have to admit that they would have been crucified by someone no matter what they did. Sometimes saying nothing is the lesser of 2 evils.

Chicagoshannon2

I wish we knew when this would start.

I also hope they add the purple band before April 22, our deadline. I'm not a fan of the whole FP+ thing but if I'm going to get a band I'd prefer it to be purple!

lebeau

I'm so happy about this! But also need to change my "game plan". right now I have all of our passes spread out through the day, so now I should make them earlier in the day so I can get more :)

I will do the same but only after I know the date this becomes effective.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I have to think that they had an idea that they would be doing this for quite some time.
They had to at the very least design the system to make this option configurable and easy to roll out from a software development standpoint. I highly doubt that they would have the time to roll out new code (assuming a fairly standard release schedule) based on "guest feedback" in the time they've had with some real guest data, so they built this flexibility into the system from the start, which only makes sense. I'm guessing the "guest feedback" only played into the decision on how early in it's implementation that they decided to roll the change out. Test it with a standard 3 for a while, get some real insight into how it functions, then put out the change.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I think the roadmap has been extremely fluid. I also don't think that some of these features were originally planned to be implemented. Disney's own research had shown an average FP usage of less than 2 per day. I really feel they felt that offering 3 would seem to be a bonus to people. They then encountered significant pushback from the super-visitors, who were previously running around 8 per day. I believe today's announcement is a change in the roadmap.

lunchbox1175

I think it is very clear they are listening to feedback. Great to see.
I agree, it seems to me they actually followed a good plan, they implemented and tested, received feed back and developed it in a fashion that would work as opposed to just throwing it all out there and letting it fail. Its a shame that people are so impatient and would rather rant and rave about how it is terrible instead of waiting until the finished product is released.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I have to think that they had an idea that they would be doing this for quite some time.
They had to at the very least design the system to make this option configurable and easy to roll out from a software development standpoint. I highly doubt that they would have the time to roll out new code (assuming a fairly standard release schedule) based on "guest feedback" in the time they've had with some real guest data, so they built this flexibility into the system from the start, which only makes sense. I'm guessing the "guest feedback" only played into the decision on how early in it's implementation that they decided to roll the change out. Test it with a standard 3 for a while, get some real insight into how it functions, then put out the change.
I think this shows all the hallmarks of being added in very late in the development cycle. The fact they are talking about using kiosks to do this, and that it has taken somewhere in the region of 6 months to get to this point. Remember, FP+ has been in guest use now for nearly a year. The 3 FP limit got almost immediate pushback from guests. It has since taken a year to get to the point of rolling out a 4th - and even now it is not live.

I do certainly believe that FP+ has been written in a way to allow it to be very flexible and to make changes such as this, albeit not overnight.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I would have liked that as well, but you have to admit that they would have been crucified by someone no matter what they did. Sometimes saying nothing is the lesser of 2 evils.

Lack of info leads to generation of mis-information.. which in the age of the internet builds steam like never before.

The 'we say nothing' is classically the approach of those who believe they hold all the cards and can do whatever they want regardless, where those that share... step off the pedestal and project a picture of collaboration.. even if you don't bend. Disney isn't standing to lose sales by saying a feature is not delivered yet... people still want to goto WDW. But imagine how many people have said "I won't touch this with a ten foot pole" because everything is so volatile?

They didn't have to commit to dates... but they could have done a ton to calm fears. It's just like when the RFID stuff started... the uncertainty leads to massive flows of distrust and misinformation. Once Disney started saying what their intentions were... it puts the fire out almost entirely.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Lack of info leads to generation of mis-information.. which in the age of the internet builds steam like never before.

The 'we say nothing' is classically the approach of those who believe they hold all the cards and can do whatever they want regardless, where those that share... step off the pedestal and project a picture of collaboration.. even if you don't bend. Disney isn't standing to lose sales by saying a feature is not delivered yet... people still want to goto WDW. But imagine how many people have said "I won't touch this with a ten foot pole" because everything is so volatile?

They didn't have to commit to dates... but they could have done a ton to calm fears. It's just like when the RFID stuff started... the uncertainty leads to massive flows of distrust and misinformation. Once Disney started saying what their intentions were... it puts the fire out almost entirely.
It is true that the lack of official information and the perceived complexity of MyMagic+ has created much of the internet hostility. I am surprised that the official channels, such as the blog have been so quiet on the subject. It would seem they had a great educational resource at their disposal there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom