Parking got worse (2/8)

maxairmike

So is the general opinion that Splitsville is not a suitable venue for bowling with children as an afternoon activity in the heat of an Orlando summer?
I noticed the menu looked great there...

If you don't mind the prices, it is fine for doing that, and the closest/cleanest option for bowling in the area. I kind of turn my nose up at the price, even though Kings over on I-Drive is basically the same price, but knowing the lanes are just a bit under regulation drives me nuts. I'm not a high-level rec bowler, but it was very annoying always being a half-step short on the approach and not feeling like I could adjust adequately.

jlsHouston

If you don't mind the prices, it is fine for doing that, and the closest/cleanest option for bowling in the area. I kind of turn my nose up at the price, even though Kings over on I-Drive is basically the same price, but knowing the lanes are just a bit under regulation drives me nuts. I'm not a high-level rec bowler, but it was very annoying always being a half-step short on the approach and not feeling like I could adjust adequately.

I was thinking this summer Splitsville would be preferable over DisneyQuest... I kept losing the 7 year old at Disney Quest.

maxairmike

Haha then yeah, probably a better option over DQ in that regard. The food is decent, though I've only had a few things (the cheese fries were good, and a large portion, perfect appetizer/finger food for two while you bowl).

flynnibus

Premium Member
You're downplaying the bowling. It's called "Splitsville", the main purpose is to bowl, and the prices to bowl are pretty outrageous.

No, it's main purpose is an entertainment lounge and food. The bowling is the 'gimmic'... just like some places are a sports bar.. others are a karoke bar.. etc. Bowling is the entertainment differentiator.

This has been discussed since the location was announced... These are not intended to be nicer Bowl Americas... they are bar/food places with a bowling gimmic integrated to give the place an identity and lure.

tahqa

No, it's main purpose is an entertainment lounge and food. The bowling is the 'gimmic'... just like some places are a sports bar.. others are a karoke bar.. etc. Bowling is the entertainment differentiator.

This has been discussed since the location was announced... These are not intended to be nicer Bowl Americas... they are bar/food places with a bowling gimmic integrated to give the place an identity and lure.

Agreed. The lanes themselves at Splitsville are full sized, but the approaches are shortened. My friends that are serious bowlers will not bowl at Splitsville for that reason. I think if it were a bowling alley that served food then everything would be regulation...

71jason

The fairly new Kings, on I-Drive, is basically a "nicer Bowl America." When it was being built it got compared to Splittsville a lot, but visit both and the difference between the two is night and day. One is a snazzed up bowling alley, the other is a restaurant that was also supposed to have a lot of bar areas.

Tom Morrow

The main reason THEY want us to go there is to eat and drink. But we, the guests, or at least, the average tourists at DTD, are going to want to go there to bowl. If I just wanted to eat and drink, Orlando has a million other options, but surprisingly, not too many bowling alleys.

Tom Morrow

Well then you are going to be disappointed (like you already are).
Well then they shouldn't call it Splitsville, decorate it with giant bowling pins, have the bowling lanes in the windows adjoining the walkways outside, and put it in a location that desperately needs entertainment other than food and drinks. The bowling might be the gimmick, but its WHY people want to go there.

Last edited:

maxairmike

Agreed. The lanes themselves at Splitsville are full sized, but the approaches are shortened. My friends that are serious bowlers will not bowl at Splitsville for that reason. I think if it were a bowling alley that served food then everything would be regulation...

Yep, hardly a serious bowler myself, but that shortened approach bugged me so much that I will generally push to go to Kings if my friends/family want to do bowling when they visit. Yes, the traffic is worth the regulation approach. ;)

71jason

Yep, hardly a serious bowler myself, but that shortened approach bugged me so much that I will generally push to go to Kings if my friends/family want to do bowling when they visit. Yes, the traffic is worth the regulation approach. ;)

Traffic? Take 528 to Universal Blvd. (exit 2)--no need to get on the mess that is I-Drive.

NeedMoreMickey

We are headed down to WDW in 7 days so what’s the latest on the parking at DTD? We are going to be spending 2 days at the PGA golf tournament at Bay Hill and thought about stopping at DTD on the way back to the hotel one day. Saves time if we can stop at DTD and we don’t have to take the bus but if parking is really bad maybe we should go to the hotel first leave the car and take the bus. Any thoughts?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We are headed down to WDW in 7 days so what’s the latest on the parking at DTD? We are going to be spending 2 days at the PGA golf tournament at Bay Hill and thought about stopping at DTD on the way back to the hotel one day. Saves time if we can stop at DTD and we don’t have to take the bus but if parking is really bad maybe we should go to the hotel first leave the car and take the bus. Any thoughts?
It is still a nightmare and will be until at least one of the parking garages opens. I would go to the hotel and bus it in or plan on paying for valet.

bhg469

Things like that happen in a construction zone that includes changing the parking situation. Not sure why you are surprised.

You also didn't answer the question. If you haven't been there you don't know what a mess it is. And could be less of a mess if they did this in phases especially in the walking areas of DTD.

bhg469

I
Well then they shouldn't call it Splitsville, decorate it with giant bowling pins, have the bowling lanes in the windows adjoining the walkways outside, and put it in a location that desperately needs entertainment other than food and drinks. The bowling might be the gimmick, but its WHY people want to go there.
Have to agree with this, the same reason people would go there is probably the same reason a lot of people avoid it... The bowling... True its a decent restaurant and it has a nice bar and entertainment but without seeing it you probably wouldn't expect it if you didn't research.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You also didn't answer the question. If you haven't been there you don't know what a mess it is. And could be less of a mess if they did this in phases especially in the walking areas of DTD.
Not always. There tends to be a tipping point where the benefits from doing a phased construction evaporate. Phased construction also tends to take considerably longer. Given the amount of work being done, I think they made the right decision. You will start to see gradual improvements as certain things get finished.

bhg469

Not always. There tends to be a tipping point where the benefits from doing a phased construction evaporate. Phased construction also tends to take considerably longer. Given the amount of work being done, I think they made the right decision. You will start to see gradual improvements as certain things get finished.
I guess I'm just assuming that progress will slow to a halt and the walls will remain up longer than they should be a LA mine train.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom