Parking got worse (2/8)

mm121

Pretty sure the I-4 ramp got killed because some junior VP didn't want the view from his window ruined. If you search through old threads, can find the story.

didn't know the direct DTD ramp idea got killed.. that would of been a smart idea LBV traffic can be really bad.. though hopefully they wont drop the little tunnel idea they had with regards to handling the entrance traffic to the two new garages.

roj2323

didn't know the direct DTD ramp idea got killed.. that would of been a smart idea LBV traffic can be really bad.. though hopefully they wont drop the little tunnel idea they had with regards to handling the entrance traffic to the two new garages.

little tunnel idea?

mm121

Most of the upstairs shuttered except for Cast Member Thursdays (and even those may have already ended, the DJ was cut after maybe 3 weeks) and special events. Probably a third of the restaurant shut down.

whats upstairs? haven't been there yet, but that doesn't sound like there doing well at all.

I remember looking at the prices when they were first announced and did seem like for bowling it was cost prohibitive for families. especially when most of DTD is kind of the "if we get bored stop" or "if its raining" place to go for out of towners

maxairmike

to build an underpass on LBV to take the southbound traffic underground to allow the northbound traffic to enter DTD without having to stop at a stoplight.

The more likely solution (due to the very high water table, going down isn't really an option) would be a flyover ramp of some sort for 535N, which it would still have the possibility to get backed up, though maybe not as bad as the current situation. The ideal solution, though, would be a ramp extension from the current 536 exit ramp that cuts between Typhoon and TDO to the front Cirque lot entrance. I've also had other ideas for traffic solutions, but they're overkill.

71jason

whats upstairs? haven't been there yet, but that doesn't sound like there doing well at all.

I remember looking at the prices when they were first announced and did seem like for bowling it was cost prohibitive for families. especially when most of DTD is kind of the "if we get bored stop" or "if its raining" place to go for out of towners

If you haven't been, then--nothing personal--but I'm sure you have the wrong idea about this place. It's NOT a "bowling alley" as that term is traditionally understood. It's a restaurant with lots of bar space that just happens to have (smallish, non-regulation) alleys tucked into the corners or off to the side here and there. Think of the alleys as robot elephants or dinosaurs. In addition to the giant bar downstairs, upstairs was built with two more bars and extra table space, as well as some billiards table. Most of that was shuttered due to lack of business 6 nights a week (probably not Christmas week, but you get the idea) before a single parking space was closed off.

mm121

If you haven't been, then--nothing personal--but I'm sure you have the wrong idea about this place. It's NOT a "bowling alley" as that term is traditionally understood. It's a restaurant with lots of bar space that just happens to have (smallish, non-regulation) alleys tucked into the corners or off to the side here and there. Think of the alleys as robot elephants or dinosaurs. In addition to the giant bar downstairs, upstairs was built with two more bars and extra table space, as well as some billiards table. Most of that was shuttered due to lack of business 6 nights a week (probably not Christmas week, but you get the idea) before a single parking space was closed off.

i knew it wasn't a typical bowling ally.. i was thinking kind of like a Jillians i think it was called, Indianapolis use to have one it was a bar/concert place with bowling as a just a small side component of the business

rangerbob

IMG_0455-L.jpg

OK as I'm looking at this picture. It could be the angle of it. But isn't that a parking structure behind Cirque building. The existing Marketplace (S end) is closest to where I'm typing. I can see the balloon on the N end of the picture and a garage there in the parking lot roughly where the area fenced off. I saw that area fenced off around Mid January.

StageFrenzy

IMG_0455-L.jpg

OK as I'm looking at this picture. It could be the angle of it. But isn't that a parking structure behind Cirque building. The existing Marketplace (S end) is closest to where I'm typing. I can see the balloon on the N end of the picture and a garage there in the parking lot roughly where the area fenced off. I saw that area fenced off around Mid January.

Cirque isn't in the picture of this model, one garage by marketplace, one by AMC in this model.

Tom Morrow

You're downplaying the bowling. It's called "Splitsville", the main purpose is to bowl, and the prices to bowl are pretty outrageous.

TimeTrip

IMG_0455-L.jpg

Like stage said, cirque isn't even this pic. Its likely you're confusing the planet Hollywood replacement/retheme (whatever it turns out to be) with cirque.

BrianLo

You're downplaying the bowling. It's called "Splitsville", the main purpose is to bowl, and the prices to bowl are pretty outrageous.

We have the same concept that's been around forever where I used to live, there are actually two locations and they do quite well. Prices are also comparable... considering it's on property WDW and not London, Ontario, I don't see any issue with the prices at Splitsville.

They need more concepts like Splitsville, it will separate out Disney Springs from being just a shopping mall.

71jason

Yes, I am downplaying the bowling, because bowling is not the main purpose. It's a gimmick to get you in to buy food and drinks. The upstairs was intended to be even more of a generic bar, with billiards and a DJ. This is in no sense a "bowling alley" as that term is conventionally understood. Although I agree the price for bowling is even more outrageous than the price for food/booze.

Mouse Detective

Splitsville still has that DINE-DANCE-DRINK-BOWL sign up facing the parking lot. If they don't have DJ's anymore, don't think anyone is going to be dancing there.

jlsHouston

Have you tried going to DTD in the past month or so? The parking situation was already a massive mess to begin with, and they just took out an additional 200 (approx.) spots.

The parking situation along with the bus situation was a freaking CF in November when I was there. DtD is BUSY. I had no idea how popular that place was until this November because I had avoided it after a couple of hours in that lego store that about blew my eardrums out in July of 2011. But I had those waterpark and more things and the kiddos wanted to do DisneyQuest and we also decided to see Frozen.
Now it sounds like it is even worse...if that is even possible.

jlsHouston

I had decent luck with the valet, but it was early.

I used valet the time I drove...it was okay. I'm not usually a bus advocate but my grandson kept saying we should take the bus the time I drove...and he was probably right. The next time we took the bus and it was actually better than the valet episode...

jlsHouston

... or RCID could properly light the area where people use crosswalks.

Yah it is really dark. I actually did walk on the sidewalk to get from the shopping part of DtD to where valet parking was located and it was night and it was dark and I don't think I would have attempted the crosswalks to get to the other side without a light or a cop stopping traffic.

jlsHouston

So is the general opinion that Splitsville is not a suitable venue for bowling with children as an afternoon activity in the heat of an Orlando summer?
I noticed the menu looked great there...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So is the general opinion that Splitsville is not a suitable venue for bowling with children as an afternoon activity in the heat of an Orlando summer?
I noticed the menu looked great there...
It's perfectly suitable for that. It's just a little more pricey than your average neighborhood bowling alley. They intended to make it a more adult oriented atmosphere at least at night, but there is nothing that would prevent you from enjoying it with your kids too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom