Parking got worse (2/8)

Rob562

I think there's some confusion, so I'll try to pull the posts together to clear things up.

The two parking garages are going to both be between Buena Vista Blvd and the stores/restaurants. The one under construction now is the western one. The second will be *east* of the one now under construction and will take up the area in the red box that someone posted *plus* some more to the west of it (including the cast building, which I think will get relocated elsewhere).

In between the two garages will be the new central bus stop area. (I vaguely recall someone saying the Cast building might be going where the current Marketplace bus stops are once the new bus facility is open)

The newly fenced off parking is in the lot north of Cirque and is for currently-unknown reasons, though I doubt it's for an additional garage. It's most likely as a staging area either for the garage construction or the pedestrian causeway being built on the Marketplace end.

It also sounds like they need to add signage for people who choose to walk from the Team Disney overflow parking to point them toward the crosswalks with the pedestrian crossing signals.

Did I miss anything?

-Rob

disney4life2008

Am I a total whiny wiener by just boycotting the DTD to Disney Springs conversion until it is complete? I can really find most of this stuff elsewhere on property or do without right?

I am with you! Everytime I go to DTD I get a severe headache. The only thing that pulls me there is Rainforrest Cafe and Ghiardheli. But the shopping is whack - I can get all my gifts at the emporium. DTD reminds of a shopping mall - its not worth the time to get there nor the prices.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I am with you! Everytime I go to DTD I get a severe headache. The only thing that pulls me there is Rainforrest Cafe and Ghiardheli. But the shopping is whack - I can get all my gifts at the emporium. DTD reminds of a shopping mall - its not worth the time to get there nor the prices.
Ghiardheli I can visit when I go to Chicago, lucky me. N Illinois has two rainforests as does animal kingdom. DTD is such a mess and downright dangerous in places. Done for now.

roj2323

Ok so I stopped by downtown disney today and they do in fact have an enormous area fenced off in the overflow lot. What appears to be going on is drainage work. the blacktop is cut out in a large but nice rectangle and there are several sections of 30" pipe in the area as well. There is also a small pile of rubble in one corner (2-3 semi's worth) but I believe that is just the material removed from the work location. There are just a few machines in the fenced off area so I don't believe this is anything more than a maintenance project.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95909967@N06/12427285073/in/set-72157640761156443

There are a few more shots if you scroll through the gallery.

Last edited:

MouseDreaming

Ghiardheli I can visit when I go to Chicago, lucky me. N Illinois has two rainforests as does animal kingdom. DTD is such a mess and downright dangerous in places. Done for now.
And one of those Rain Forests is 10 min. up the road from me. And the Lego store. And lots of really good chocolate to be found in there, too. DTD is not meant for me, either. I already live near a huge mall/shopping area. Don't want to waste vacation time at one.

I'm not really sure where to start with this .... The abysmal disaster that is become parking at downtown Disney has gotten worse.

Approximately one half of the parking lot behind Cirque du Soleil is now fenced off.

It looks like this is for the second parking garage but I'm not 100% on it.

To alleviate or attempt to do something about this giant clusterF, shuttle buses are being run from the team Disney parking lot.

People are playing frogger instead of taking the shuttles, this will be an issue at some point.

I thought it was bad last year when they closed off part of the parking lot by the Movie theater for some go kart racing thing.... I didn't even know how bad it could get.

Now its not even worth going to Downtown Disney unless you take a bus there.

PhilharMagician

This space could be for material storage. When you construct larger projects such as the parking garage it is not unheard of to make concrete on site especially when they may be planning to pour large segments of the decks all at once. The lot would be filled with gravel, sand and trucks of cement along with a portable mixing plant. Additionally they may need the area temporarily to store the reenforcement rebar for the decks.

I'll stop by DD tomorrow and see if I can figure out what's going on. Naturally i'll take my camera as well.

With a parking garage they are constructed of vertical support beams and for the decks they use a pre-stressed double-tee beam that is about 12' wide and could be 60' long. There is no pouring of any decks on a parking garage, at least I have never seen anything like that in my experience. I have worked on many large parking garage jobs and never once seen any pieces built on site and unless the closest plant that makes the pre-cast parts is too far away for trucking. We would truck well over 100 miles in the past.

What I would expect is some sort of drop yard nearby for trucks to drop and leave trailers loaded with the pre-cast concrete sections. Depending on the dimensions of the garage the double-tee beams could be 60+ feet long so I would expect them to be hauled in overnight when the traffic is much lighter then craned in place during the day. If they haul them in during the day that should make for some great traffic stories.

Jimmy Thick

So whats the word around the campfire about getting to Disney Quest from the resorts? Bus or rental? Least amount of hassle.

Jimmy Thick- Not going until November but have to plan already...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So whats the word around the campfire about getting to Disney Quest from the resorts? Bus or rental? Least amount of hassle.

Least amount of hassle is a cab followed driving and valet parking with bus rounding out the top three.

tahqa

Depends on the time of day. Yesterday the parking for the lots close to DisneyQuest were full by mid-afternoon (3PM or so). In general I would recommend the buses to get to DTD unless you're going there before noon.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
With a parking garage they are constructed of vertical support beams and for the decks they use a pre-stressed double-tee beam that is about 12' wide and could be 60' long. There is no pouring of any decks on a parking garage, at least I have never seen anything like that in my experience. I have worked on many large parking garage jobs and never once seen any pieces built on site and unless the closest plant that makes the pre-cast parts is too far away for trucking. We would truck well over 100 miles in the past.

What I would expect is some sort of drop yard nearby for trucks to drop and leave trailers loaded with the pre-cast concrete sections. Depending on the dimensions of the garage the double-tee beams could be 60+ feet long so I would expect them to be hauled in overnight when the traffic is much lighter then craned in place during the day. If they haul them in during the day that should make for some great traffic stories.
I could be wrong, but I seem to remember the parking structures for some condos in downtown Jacksonville using poured floors. It is also worth noting that they collapsed during construction.

71jason

Least amount of hassle is a cab followed driving and valet parking with bus rounding out the top three.

Given my experiences with valet, I'd say taxi > bus > valet > self-park. I can't believe I just recommended getting on a Disney bus. But nothing besides the boats will get you around the traffic backups.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Given my experiences with valet, I'd say taxi > bus > valet > self-park. I can't believe I just recommended getting on a Disney bus. But nothing besides the boats will get you around the traffic backups.
I had decent luck with the valet, but it was early.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom