The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Well, since you asked, stayed at the Buena Vista Palace, but quite some time ago...was a trip back in the 80s.

Interesting to note...price then seems to be not all that far from the price now. When we stayed there, I remember it being in the $100-$150 price range, which was a really big deal for our family, so we were there just one night. Have actually considered staying there on a future trip, but want to take the time to check and make sure it's still as nice as I remember. Guessing it probably is :)

Speaking of next trip, thinking we will try the DCL, perhaps a 3 day, then spend 2-3 days at USF/IOA, and 1 day at the MK (cause I want to see the new parade and ride the mine train). And, if I can't get a decent rate on DCL, then it'll be a different cruise followed by those things. Disney has pretty much priced us out. Went the last couple of years with the 'Free' dining promo, and about the only way I'll eat in the parks is if I don't have to pay for it separately.

Anyway, just my two cents worth. :D

I have stayed BVP twice in the last year for a few nights each time. It was under $75 night with the resort fee overlooking DtD.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
The problem with sampling DVC members online is that they tend to represent the most-informed members.

Frankly, at $155/point and with the required points per night, I don't understand how anyone who has done the math could ever justify paying Disney's price for the Villas at the Grand Floridian (VGF).

Yet Disney sold 122,318 points at VGF in January. (Around $18M in sales for the month. Yes, one is born every minute. ;))

And I cannot fathom exchanging DVC points for anything because the exchange rates are so bad.

Yet people exchange into the Disney Collection, DCL, and RCI all the time.

On so many levels, WDW preys on the uninformed and the downright lazy.

Don't write off those who bought before the massive price increase on the point rates. Even though renting will always yield the most return, using on a cruise if you had a low buy in still works fairly well.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
People need to lighten up on this whole Shanghai = smog thing. It shows limited perspective and repeating ad-nauseum the American media attempt at demeaning other countries they are frightened of.

Yes it's a problem, no it won't affect Disney anymore than the occasional Floridan downpour. The snow in Paris and Tokyo is probably the bigger non-issue.
Not just American media outlets:

http://www.popsci.com/article/scien...gs-smog-problem-nuclear-winter?src=SOC&dom=fb

alphac2005

Was only a matter of time.

The RunDisney empire just keeps growing, which is weird because the size of their guests keeps increasing ... but they are placing them on the calendar as fast as they can because they fill rooms and raise revenue ... last weekend would have been dead at WDW ... but suddenly it winds up busy as hell because Disney has a race.

I can't believe the amount of running friends that we have that do the half and full marathon. Sorry, I'm not getting up in the wee hours of the morning and getting stuffed on a bus to then go and wait to run with 26,000 other people at WDW. I'll stick to other places where I don't have to spend hundreds of dollars to run a race and they generally fund outstanding charities. A friend of my wife did the whole RunDisney set in January of all the races plus a few other items for nearly $1k. That's crazy. I might be crazy for running a half marathon in November when it was 18 degrees, but it only cost me 25 bucks. ;)

A great run in Orlando during January that doesn't line Disney's pockets is the Dick Batchelor Run for the Children, which goes throughout the Universal theme parks and backstage.

Funmeister

:angelic:
There is only one truth, one light, and if you mean to say this will set you free, it is not that easy. Following the path of truth is a much harder decision to make and an even harder path to follow. Those who seek to destroy the truth will find themselves in a place they do not want to be, but then again, we reap what we sow. A double fisting blind Mickey once said to me, "Dan. . ." I pretty much tuned him out at that point.

Yet you still reply......lol

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Thursday Musings:

As I sit here in my second week of the worst illness I have had in many years, I try and wrap my head around people who make lots of money passing judgment on folks stuck in $8 an hour jobs and not having any clue why that can be a toxic quicksand-like existence. It must be fun to get paid $30-40-50 an hour from your employer to sit on a computer and post on a Disney discussion forum. A little compassion wouldn't hurt, people. And the understanding that no matter what you say, there is no such thing as a self-made man. Everyone gets help from family, friends, teachers, government programs etc ... Nobody does it alone. If you believe otherwise, you are delusional.

Moving on ... all you Pepsi lovers can rejoice provided you'll be visiting SDL whenever it opens. Today Disney and Pepsi announced a major multi-year contract making Pepsi the official exclusive soft drink of SDL and meaning no Coke for you there. Coke remains the official beverage at WDW, DLR, DLP and HKDL and one of two (along with Kirin) at TDR.

This puts Pepsi back in a MK for the first time since 1982 when Coke became exclusive for both DL and WDW just in time for EPCOT's debut. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who follows China. Pepsi has a huge market in the mainland due to it getting a huge advantage/head start via KFC and Pizza Hut (two brands that are HUGE -- yes, bigger than McD's or Starbucks), which were owned by Pepsi for decades before being spun off into YUM Brands (also including Taco Bell). There is no market in the world as open in the 'soda wars' and this really is a coup for struggling Pepsi.

To put this in perspective, 20 years ago Pepsi was the official soft drink of all UNI and SW parks and all Wendy's and Burger King locations. They've all since gone over to Coke.

Here's the Reuters piece on it: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/27/us-pepsico-idUSBREA1Q13020140227

This is also part of SDL partnering with big names in Chinese business ahead of the opening of the park to engage in synergistic marketing opportunities. One such recent move was with China Eastern Airlines: http://www.shanghaidaily.com/busine...promotion-agreement-with-Disney/shdaily.shtml .

Oh, and, no, it wouldn't shock me to see a KFC pop up as either part of Disney Town or adjacent to it.

Great to see rain FINALLY heading to my beloved California.

So, cops again bullying people videotaping them (this time in Baltimore). What a shock in today's Amerika.

Did you see UNI raised prices yesterday too? Did you also see how classy they were and didn't raise them for APers? Yeah, Disney would never do that.

If you call to a WDW exec with a problem, then you are likely to speak to the lovely Joan Martin. Never has an individual gotten smarmy condescending PR spin down to such an art.

Scary rumour that crossed my desk while I was having a scary lunch of my own: TDA and Colglazier would like a Marvel character meal added to DL. Really!

OK, so I am an APer and it is now going to be March of 2014 and I have yet to be included in MM+ in any way at all, but my pass has gone up over 40% since the NGE was approved.

I love when Disney has exclusive merchandise, be it DVC, AP, a special location, event etc., and instead of destroying what it can't sell or giving it to CMs, it sticks the stuff in outlet stores and warehouses.

Do I dare play Fun With Tweets today?

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Never cruised before. Tried a couple years ago using DVC points but that was a joke. Ended up going to Hotel Del. A friend was a huge fan of the Norway and NCL but has yet to go on a DCL. He for obvious reasons pushes me to NCL. We would like to do the 7 day Caribbean cruise as I would like to stop at Caymans. I sum the minimum wage up to the "all about me" and "how much it would cost me" mentality.

Cruising is great. Period.

I have had quite a few exceptional vacations on NCL, including a transatlantic and a seven-night Hawaii island-hopping adventure. I have actually only had one bad cruise experience. That was on Celebrity. And that resulted in the CEO losing his job. Yes, REALLY!

I highly recommend cruising to all my family and friends as it truly is one of the most enjoyable and relaxing ways to shut the world off out there. Loving Disney, DCL combines two of my favorite things. But you have to be savvy or you'll spend an absurd amount of money just to say you cruised with the MAGIC (and maybe on it!)

I currently have multiple cruises booked on DCL for the next 18 months, but the reality is that I likely will only take one.

I think you don't hear many fanbois raving about cruising for the same reason you don't hear them talking up the amazing water parks in O-Town (still, one of the best things at WDW!): namely they have bathing suit/body image issues.

WDW1974

Original Poster
so, limited time magic will be converted into "limited time magic for a fee" ?

Also, speaking of the Swan.. who owns these hotels? do they count as "disney" in therms of benefits? or they are completely separate "benefit" like?

Yes ... and Swan/Dolphin/DD Hilton all get the EMH benefit ... S &D get direct access with Disney's own transport network. They all have character meals, although not daily. ... Not sure what else in terms of benefits you'd be looking for. ... They all have Disney owned crap shops as well.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Can someone post that story to this thread, please?

They have it behind a pay to read wall and I am not giving that rag one cent!!!

Thanks.
Jason Garcia has a link to it on his Twitter feed that works, but once I open it in my browser the pay wall pops up.

TalkingHead

Can someone post that story to this thread, please?

They have it behind a pay to read wall and I am not giving that rag one cent!!!

Thanks.

It'd be nice if someone would do that.

My mom read me the story over the phone, and it hit a lot of familiar points about WDW's relationship to local visitors. (60-day-out reservations keeping locals from restaurants, all the good FP+s being taken before day guests get a chance at them, etc.)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Well, since you asked, stayed at the Buena Vista Palace, but quite some time ago...was a trip back in the 80s.

Interesting to note...price then seems to be not all that far from the price now. When we stayed there, I remember it being in the $100-$150 price range, which was a really big deal for our family, so we were there just one night. Have actually considered staying there on a future trip, but want to take the time to check and make sure it's still as nice as I remember. Guessing it probably is :)

Isn't it interesting, Dave (and others), that WDW area hotels often have prices that are almost the same as they were 10-15-20 years ago? These hotels aren't losing money when they fill a room at say $150 a night. They're making loads.

So, why is it that we all joke about knowing someone who staying at the Poly for $35 in 1972, yet the same room (just lousier service) can now go for $600-900 a night?

You want to know why Disney can't fill them? Or why they are DVCing every resort they can?

Because of a bad, greedy business model. Of course, it allows Disney some benefits when they 'give away' a room at the Poly for $379 on discount. They're taking a loss, right?

WDW doesn't get much better so long as it is operated under the 1990s strategic planning (MUST INCREASE PROFITS BY 20% EVERY QUARTER!!!) model. It has butchered the resort.

Speaking of next trip, thinking we will try the DCL, perhaps a 3 day, then spend 2-3 days at USF/IOA, and 1 day at the MK (cause I want to see the new parade and ride the mine train). And, if I can't get a decent rate on DCL, then it'll be a different cruise followed by those things. Disney has pretty much priced us out. Went the last couple of years with the 'Free' dining promo, and about the only way I'll eat in the parks is if I don't have to pay for it separately.

Anyway, just my two cents worth. :D

Three days is not a smart way to cruise. I have done 3-14 nights before and the longer, the better. I am at the point where I would not even bother with less than five nights. Otherwise, as soon as you get on the boat, it's time to leave.

Oh, and you could always watch YouTube videos of both the parade and the kiddie coaster.

WDW1974

Original Poster
When did THAT happen? It was once of the few things I actually took advantage of every once in a while. Oh, well...

They have been doing so steadily. You can still find them ... but it depends on when. The next two months are very hit or miss.

Of course, I was thinking about a quickee trip, largely to spend time at the water parks, and CM rates I was quoted were $105 at CBR and PO (plus tax). And I am having a hard time seeing that as a 'deal' when I used to stay at those regularly for $50-100 and I am hoping a friend can get me another TM room at one of UNI's resorts for $50 a night.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I would suggest looking into the 5-night cruises DCL does out of Miami. Those are better priced than theBahamian cruises out of PC. I did one as my first cruise and the longer timer on the ships lets you get more into the relaxed cruise mood. Also I thought Cozumel was beautiful and with everything I have heard about Nassau it is a much preferable destination. I thought the Wonder was just wonderful even if she is not as new as the Dream.

Absolutely.

I did two 5-nighters out of Miami last year (one on each ship) and greatly enjoyed them. ... I might go on a 4-nighter on the Dream if it was discounted enough just to spend the entire time on the ship. I have no use for Nassau, spent plenty of time there in the 80s and 90s ... enough for a lifetime, really.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirit, are you going to make any Oscar predictions?

Sorry you're still under the weather. Want me to send you some pictures of Epcot Odyssey urinals from 1985 to cheer you up?

I don't think so. Maybe it's because I am a TV guy (and own an Emmy Tux of my own!), I just don't have the interest in the Oscars that I even have for the Golden Globes. And this year's class of films ... I've only seen a handful and I don't think it was a particularly great year at the movies.

And thanks for the offer. But unless something just changed, I am almost certain the current urinals are still the 1980s version at the Odyssey. Maybe I should just go there and spend some time hanging on my next visit? (insert your own fanboi joke here!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom