Got the Epcot rash

note2001

The Disney first aid stations see quite a bit of this. They are saying it's actually broken capillaries below the skin caused by the heat reflecting back up off the pavement. It doesn't effect everyone, but they have seen every type, age and size of person there is come in complaining about it. Broken capillaries will turn red, blotchy and for most folk, itch horribly.

Treatment: elevate the legs and apply cool cloths.

Prevent: use a non-pour clogging sunscreen (avoid those water/sweat proof ones which trap heat), wear white socks that cover the lower leg, light colored loose clothing to cover the skin such as capris.

MissM

Golfer's Vasculitus
Yup. Love gets it. And for years we didn't know what it was until finally we came across it somewhere and had an AH-HA! moment.

He's gotten it both on days when he wears jeans and days when he wears shorts. Which threw us at first because we thought he was reacting to something within the park like a chemical or something but the jeans meant his skin wasn't coming in direct contact with things. In jeans, he tends to get it less but you can get it just from the walking around so much even if you don't necessarily have direct sun exposure on the skin.

Doesn't hurt or itch but lasts for about 48 hours or so and goes away. The weird thing is that it's happened so much that his freckles on his ankles/lower legs are now permanently darker. (He's a natural redhead so he's freckled in general.)

jaklgreen

I have never heard of that. I spend a week every year in Oct walking around world showcase most days and have never had an issue.

MissM

I have never heard of that. I spend a week every year in Oct walking around world showcase most days and have never had an issue.
Not everyone gets it. I've never gotten it in my life. While Love gets it about 80% of the time we go to Disney. It's just one of those things.

Info: http://walking.about.com/od/medhot/a/legrash.htm

Pic (not mine, from google)

hikers_rash_weeds.jpg

I've never had it at Disney World, but I did get it on a cruise to Bermuda. By the end of the trip, 90% of the passengers had it. We've always referred to it as "Bermuda Rot," but I have to say that Golfer's Vasculitus sounds much nicer. And it was much more pleasant to deal with than norovirus!! :)

Dog Ate Mouse

My wife gets this rash every year that she hits the Florida sunshine. Always around her ankles and sock line. It appears to be a Sun rash & Pollen because she is a little allergic to direct sun light and different pollen that we encounter in Fla. It does not itch or get bad or become infected and clears up after a week or so out of the Fla sun and pollen. This happen before we go to any of the parks. So rest assurred it is not a Epcot thing.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
That rash is no concern to me, my legs are blistering fried now and my calves are verry tense and that does not help at all LOL and I still have 6 hours to go :-/

R W B

For those that say they get this when they go to WDW, where do you all live? I'm from Louisiana and we have kindo of the same climate and i've never had this problem or anyone I've gone with.

ratherbeinwdw

I had never noticed it on people until I had a light case in 2010. Since then, I see it on lots of people in the parks. Now that it's been called to your attention, you will probably see it also. I've had it twice. The first time, it had been raining continually and MK had ankle deep water in Tomorrowland which we were in for quite some time. My socks and shoes were soaking wet for several hours. I assumed it was the dirty water. I was the only one who got the rash though. But, the second time, it hadn't rained at all. I don't believe it's the general heat as I live in Georgia and spend lots of time at the beach in FL and have never gotten it anywhere except at Disney, and I don't usually get it until I have walked morning to night for several days. I don't get it on short trips. I think it's a combination of walking on concrete for hours on end and high temperatures.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
Mines much worse then the one in the picture above, so bad I asked the first aid lady at the Magic Kingdom if I would go to a doctor tomorrow morning. Im swollen, my legs looked like kielbasa about to pop.

note2001

Mines much worse then the one in the picture above, so bad I asked the first aid lady at the Magic Kingdom if I would go to a doctor tomorrow morning. Im swollen, my legs looked like kielbasa about to pop.

I recall that feeling. Showers help. Even swimming worked wonders. Rest, elevation, drink water. I know you're not feeling like you want to take it easy being in Disney, but your legs have other plans for the trip. Listen to them.

Seeing a doctor is not a bad idea, there are a number of conditions that could cause similar issues. You might want to just be safe.

Last edited:

brokedad

Every time we go to Epcot someone gets a rash at the sock or shoe line or foot, as far as it can reach before hitting some kind of footwear. This time I got it, as well as everyone else I was with. It outlines where my socks were kist like a tan line The weird thing is that I don't feel it, it's not irritated nor does it itch. Does anyone else get this? I thought it was a quincedence but nope, its something at Epcot.
So itchy, think that tomorrow night will be an adult night will some friends who haven't been there in ten years, thanks for the great idea, I will wear pants just in case

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom