WDW to Build New North Entrance to Property

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
I haven't seen this posted here, so please forgive me if it has. I did a search and nothing came up.

WDW will soon have a brand new larger and more direct North entrance. They will be extending Floridian Way north past the fire station and connecting it directly to Reams Rd. The new entrance will also connect directly to the Cast Member Parking Lot for the Magic Kingdom, and the road will not need to be closed during nightly fireworks (except the enhanced perimeter launched shows). The current buildings in the area (Property Control) will be moved to the Main Gate Office Complex area near Animal Kingdom. A stop light will be added at the intersection of Reams Road and Floridian Way. There are no plans to close the Center Drive Entrance.

Construction is expected to begin next year.

Attachments

• Floridian Way Expansion.jpg
    Floridian Way Expansion.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 2,302

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I haven't seen this posted here, so please forgive me if it has. I did a search and nothing came up.

WDW will soon have a brand new larger and more direct North entrance. They will be extending Floridian Way north past the fire station and connecting it directly to Reams Rd. The new entrance will also connect directly to the Cast Member Parking Lot for the Magic Kingdom, and the road will not need to be closed during nightly fireworks (except the enhanced perimeter launched shows). The current buildings in the area (Property Control) will be moved to the Main Gate Office Complex area near Animal Kingdom. A stop light will be added at the intersection of Reams Road and Floridian Way. There are no plans to close the Center Drive Entrance.

Construction is expected to begin next year.

They did just file a permit for some work in the North Service Area which includes some road improvements, but it doesn't show the road extension all the way to Floridian Way. Maybe this is just a first phase.

Last edited:

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
They did just file a permit for some work in the North Service Area which includes some road improvements, but it doesn't show the road extension all the way to Floridian Way. Maybe this is just a first phase.
From what I've heard, that would be correct, it is very much a phased project. Even I only posted part of the overall plan. Evidently if the northern traffic continues, Floridian Way may become a major thoroughfare in the coming years, but that is all up to Reedy Creek.

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
is this envisioned for guest usage?
I believe that is the plan, but that greatly depends on what the traffic patterns actually end up being. If you look more closely at Floridian Way (in the area that leads up directly with the Grand) you can see that there is quite a large right of way that has already been cleared for years to make Floridian Way 4 lanes if they want to expand it. I can only assume that would be for eventual guest use. I'm also assuming that currently the amount of guests coming from the north side of property is pretty high and growing daily. Even if they didn't want to have guests entering from the North, I don't think there is really much they can do about it now.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I believe that is the plan, but that greatly depends on what the traffic patterns actually end up being. If you look more closely at Floridian Way (in the area that leads up directly with the Grand) you can see that there is quite a large right of way that has already been cleared for years to make Floridian Way 4 lanes if they want to expand it. I can only assume that would be for eventual guest use. I'm also assuming that currently the amount of guests coming from the north side of property is pretty high and growing daily. Even if they didn't want to have guests entering from the North, I don't think there is really much they can do about it now.
Guests are using the north entrance, and it will only get worse. There is also a significantly higher number of cast parking there now with the addition of New Fantasyland and the new cast parking lot.

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
Guests are using the north entrance, and it will only get worse. There is also a significantly higher number of cast parking there now with the addition of New Fantasyland and the new cast parking lot.
That is exactly what I thought, thank you for confirming it.

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
So where is the toll booth going to go? Or are they going to allow free MK parking? ;)
Actually, you can already get into the MK parking lot without going through a toll plaza. To fix the loophole, they just have to block off the "Return to MK Parking" left exit from Floridian Way, problem solved. Not a huge deal, not many people know about that way anyhow. I predict that eventually they will be forced to build a new toll plaza anyway, further up near the speedway on the east side. That way all the resort traffic won't need to go through the Toll Plaza.

*edit* I think there is some sort of contractual thing with that service station to re-enter the MK parking lot without going through that toll plaza again... so that contract would need to be amended as well in the meantime... unless they build a bridge.

TowerOfTerror

I guess someone is getting tired of footing the bill for the police to sit there and monitor the traffic of Reams and Center Dr. I'm not sure the amount of guest that would visit through that thoroughfare besides the local day guest. In all reality the extension to Floridian Way is a fantastic idea since they keep building all those developments back that way.

kap91

Darn...I like the north entrance being "hidden" and a thing only locals know about. I can understand though since they've been building a ton of housing right outside it. ---really wish that wouldn't have happened. So much for having a "buffer" - with all the housing being built there's barely any land between that and bay lake.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Nice map. I see what you mean by only part of that is on the permit. All I can say is to look at the end of the road on that permit... don't you find it a bit strange that there is a random turn around at the end of the road? ;)

Yeah, definitely looks like they plan to extend it as you say.

Bolt

Yeah - those buildings in the MK Parking Lot all have demolition dates so I'd believe that over the OP.

Big C 73

I for one do not like this because I believe there is too many entrances into Walt Disney World anyway. I believe there should be 5 to 6 ways to enter the property, 3 of these being main guest entrances. Although there is a great number of guest moving about the property this helps maintain a strategic layout instead of various roads winding about making it difficult for guest to travel across the Walt Disney World Resort. The three main Walt Disney World entrances should be should be World Drive, Epcot Center Drive, and Hotel Plaza Boulevard Drive. The three seclusive entrances into Walt Disney World should be Vista Boulevard, Buena Vista Drive, and Center Drive. This is just my opinion of course.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom