WDW to Build New North Entrance to Property

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Can someone show where the fireworks are launched from using google earth pic. Also there is a good chunk of land northwest of the GF what is that designated on the reedy creek maps? Is it set aside for future development or is it wildlife protection?

The area north of GF between the canal and Flordian way is designated Resource Management/Recreation (RM/R).

"Resource Management/Recreation (RM/R) – The RM/R areas correspond to jurisdictional wetlands located
outside the Conservation area. These areas possess a combination of soil and drainage conditions that make
them poorly suited for urban uses. They also have high habitat values and are an important part of the
District's stormwater management system."

Jakester

Can someone show where the fireworks are launched from using google earth pic. Also there is a good chunk of land northwest of the GF what is that designated on the reedy creek maps? Is it set aside for future development or is it wildlife protection?
Here yah go.

image.jpg

Right under the lake in the upper photo, opposite side of the road

And this is where IllumiNations Barges are kept, I have personally been back there and see the globe up close
image.jpg

This is also where dry dock is for the showcase boats and the Epcot Resort Fleet

ryguy

Thanks for answering my questions! I was looking for an area more cleared out for launching fireworks, but I guess it works.

maxairmike

Local residents in this area don't have a lot of political sway--it's far too transient, and most work for the Mouse anyway, would prefer a quicker route.

I do wonder if this ties into a rumored plan to block off the road near Golden Oak. I think the Spirit alluded to that months ago. Memory is hazy, too lazy to search, tho.

Do you mean Vista Blvd. between Ft. Wilderness and Bonnet Creek Pkwy? I can't imagine they'd block that off completely, because it is used mostly by Cast driving to and from the MK area for work related stuff. The new north entrance will certainly be nice for traffic flow and safety of the Cast that work at the MK.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Also there is a good chunk of land northwest of the GF what is that designated on the reedy creek maps? Is it set aside for future development or is it wildlife protection?
Eventually it could become resort areas. Two plans have existed since phase one to extend Seven Seas lagoon west and litter the coastline with resorts. In this era of DVC or nothing I can't see it happening anytime soon.

PeterAlt

Actually, you can already get into the MK parking lot without going through a toll plaza. To fix the loophole, they just have to block off the "Return to MK Parking" left exit from Floridian Way, problem solved. Not a huge deal, not many people know about that way anyhow. I predict that eventually they will be forced to build a new toll plaza anyway, further up near the speedway on the east side. That way all the resort traffic won't need to go through the Toll Plaza.

*edit* I think there is some sort of contractual thing with that service station to re-enter the MK parking lot without going through that toll plaza again... so that contract would need to be amended as well in the meantime... unless they build a bridge.
Thanks for the tip! I used to park at DTD to avoid the toll. Now, I have a new way! Hahah

mm121

Have there been any updates regarding the North Gate to WDW property by MK?

I remember seeing about this ages ago, but haven't seen any word on it in awhile.

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
Drive by there fairly often, I haven't seen much outside of the normal.
Nope, no updates. New roads take FOREVER to happen because they often rely on other projects to happen first. (The Reams Road widening project has to happen first) But that new Cast Parking Lot was built with the road in mind. It has a road to nowhere... which is where the new road will eventually go.

Also, that new apartment complex adjacent to property is growing fast. I expect them to expand pretty quickly, and the faster they expand, the sooner that new road will get built... along with the Reams Road widening project. The traffic up there is getting insane.

maxairmike

Nope, no updates. New roads take FOREVER to happen because they often rely on other projects to happen first. (The Reams Road widening project has to happen first) But that new Cast Parking Lot was built with the road in mind. It has a road to nowhere... which is where the new road will eventually go.

Also, that new apartment complex adjacent to property is growing fast. I expect them to expand pretty quickly, and the faster they expand, the sooner that new road will get built... along with the Reams Road widening project. The traffic up there is getting insane.

Yep, I avoid Reams Rd. like the plague past the Buena Vista Dr. intersection when I can avoid it. Absolutely nuts and that expansion needs to happen ASAP.

You've always been able to drive from Contemporary to the shop. There used to be a guard shack by the shop that would block you from getting to Reams but they shut that years ago at least 15 I think
It didn't block you from getting to Reams, it blocked non CMs from getting on property from Reams.

landauh

Yep, I avoid Reams Rd. like the plague past the Buena Vista Dr. intersection when I can avoid it. Absolutely nuts and that expansion needs to happen ASAP.

The Reams Rd expansion has been underway for some years. It actually started on Winter Garden Village Road near Hwy-429 and is currently to the West of MK parking lot where Porter Road, Ficquette Road and Reams Road intersect. Not sure when it will be at WDW MK parking lot but it is being worked on.

brokedad

I haven't seen this posted here, so please forgive me if it has. I did a search and nothing came up.

WDW will soon have a brand new larger and more direct North entrance. They will be extending Floridian Way north past the fire station and connecting it directly to Reams Rd. The new entrance will also connect directly to the Cast Member Parking Lot for the Magic Kingdom, and the road will not need to be closed during nightly fireworks (except the enhanced perimeter launched shows). The current buildings in the area (Property Control) will be moved to the Main Gate Office Complex area near Animal Kingdom. A stop light will be added at the intersection of Reams Road and Floridian Way. There are no plans to close the Center Drive Entrance.

Construction is expected to begin next year.
Can't wait, I use that entrance on reams Rd about 5 times a week

MrMorrowTom

As long as they build up Reams Road first before doing this entrance. That road is really congested and its a tiny two lane road with 50 mph speed limits at points. I live right off of Reams and Ficquette and the roads need to updated bad. The entire area is being built up fast with more and more housing a lot of which are cast members.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom