Disney's Hollywood Studios testing restrictions on FastPass+ selections

prberk

Completely agree, and I said the same, just above.

Again, the same thoughts have passed thru my mind as well. It's very possible and they've discussed such ideas in some of the patents that were created for MB/MDE.

Interesting, and perhaps you're right, although, I didn't find it terribly complicated when we used it in October. It was quite easy actually.
What I see happening is the creation of pre-packaged "experiences" or what some might call a touring plan where they pre-select attractions for you prior to your arrival, based on your family/group makeup or using a selection list of type experience desired. Mind you, I can't see this happening or being forced on everyone, but I could see it being offered for those who want a "hassle free vacation".

Sorry, didn't see your post before mine. And I can see the usefulness of a "package" in a way, or a
"hassle-free" vacation; but I still think it is becoming a bit much.

The original "Fast-Pass" system was nice, but it had its limitations built in (by distance). While a little annoying for usefulness, this actually kept it from doing what this current system started to do -- make it almost impossible to take advantage of beyond more than one or two options.

So, while the orginal FP was a nice treat, it didn't really transform the whole vacation planning thing into a have-to.

And I really am lumping FP+ in with the new credit card requirements and no-show fees for dining, when I complain that the whole experience is becoming too burdensome. They have taken nice amenities and made them into things that punish people for allowing the place to inspire them after they get there.

deix15x8

I thought Magic Kingdom already had this? When we were their in October their were definitely groups setup at that park. I picked Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, and then wanted Space Mountain but only had more basic rides like The Littler Mermaid, Philarmonic, and Stitch to choose from for the third choice.

asianway

What's old is new again.

Whether it's good, bad, or neither, this is tiering like the old A-B-C-D-E ticket sytem, only with just two tiers (so far). The old ticket system had the best rides as "E" tickets -- just like we call them today, for that very reason. And the reason that the ticket books existed was to distribute attendance to less popular attractions (and to allow Disney to charge for extra tickets available for purchase).

I am surprised that no one has noted the similar concept.

And ironically, no one is talking about how "magical" those days used to be, and how we need to go back to them.

Of course, they could be setting up to charge extra for more Tier One fast-passes.... (I shouldn't give them ideas....)

Anyway, I still think overall that the "magic" of a Disney vacation is becoming way too complicated and expensive. And heaven forebid you just want to come and be open to new experiences without copious planning.
Merf has been comparing it to ticket books for a year now

EvilQueen-T

Outside of the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, how often do the attractions in Group 2 have a significant wait?

right! that's exactly why they put the others in a single group...totally hating the limit of 3fp/day, to hard to park hop, and if i am going to be limited to only 3 at least it should be up to me to choose the 3 i want (if available) even if it's the same three (sigh...sooooo disappointed with this turn of events).

disney4life2008

What's old is new again.

Whether it's good, bad, or neither, this is tiering like the old A-B-C-D-E ticket sytem, only with just two tiers (so far). The old ticket system had the best rides as "E" tickets -- just like we call them today, for that very reason. And the reason that the ticket books existed was to distribute attendance to less popular attractions (and to allow Disney to charge for extra tickets available for purchase).

I am surprised that no one has noted the similar concept.

And ironically, no one is talking about how "magical" those days used to be, and how we need to go back to them.

Of course, they could be setting up to charge extra for more Tier One fast-passes.... (I shouldn't give them ideas....)

Anyway, I still think overall that the "magic" of a Disney vacation is becoming way too complicated and expensive. And heaven forebid you just want to come and be open to new experiences without copious planning.

Wow this was beautifully written and easy to understand and connect. I never made the connection about the old system to the E ticket attractions of today. Well done.

disney4life2008

This is frustrating. Actually, the whole system is frustrating. I want to go back to traditional Fastpasses. At least in January we'll be able to get traditional Fastpasses in addition to FP+. And then I'm going to tell them EXACTLY what I think since I'm part of the testing group.

Maybe??? It seems that the new system is trying to be rolled out in January.

disney4life2008

right! that's exactly why they put the others in a single group...totally hating the limit of 3fp/day, to hard to park hop, and if i am going to be limited to only 3 at least it should be up to me to choose the 3 i want (if available) even if it's the same three (sigh...sooooo disappointed with this turn of events).

This is what I do not understand. How is park hopping possible under FP+? I have been able to do all the 3 main attractions in HS by (2 FP for TS 1030am (with 9am opening); watch Beauty and the Beast, Mermaid, then park hop to AK and do the entire park using FP for Safari, Everest and Kali.

Biff215

This is what I do not understand. How is park hopping possible under FP+? I have been able to do all the 3 main attractions in HS by (2 FP for TS 1030am (with 9am opening); watch Beauty and the Beast, Mermaid, then park hop to AK and do the entire park using FP for Safari, Everest and Kali.

Park hopping is possible, but you can only hold FP+ for one park per day which kind of defeats the purpose. We pay extra to stay in Disney to make it possible to take a midday break with the kids. Returning to the same park in the evening seems kind of silly, so we like to split our days. Now we have to decide what part of our day we actually want to have FP+, and it's still a challenge to schedule times that will work around our break.

I was really hoping this wasn't going to be the mess everyone has predicted it would be, and I wanted to try it before criticizing it. But now that we have had the chance to make our FP+ selections, I am not impressed. Sure having a FP for Soarin', TSMM, or EE is nice before getting there, but the overall limiting of FP really defeats any benefit.

Perhaps my biggest frustration is the lack of flexibility. We are now locked into three one hour windows each morning or evening that we can't afford to miss. Add to that the new dining reservation policy and it seems that the main result will be more frantic guests running from place to place. Doesn't sound like a vacation at all!

Dragonrider1227

So they're making a perfectly functional system unnecessarily complicated? It's Google+ on Youtube all over again ><

Actually, I think I know what they're doing. This system is going to make people use the standby lines in DHS more often so they won't go through the rides faster and realize there isn't as much to do there as there is in Magic Kingdom

Californian Elitist

This makes me oh so very excited for my future WDW trip. Wow. SMH.
angry.gif
thumbsdown.gif
bash.gif

The amount of attractions with FP boggles my mind.

Dragonrider1227

fortunately, when it comes to DHS, the only attraction I actually use fastpass on is Toy Story Mania. (Well, once we got the Little Mermaid show but TSM is the only one I think you actually NEED a fastpass for) if they bring this over to MK, then we could have a problem.

darthspielberg

I honestly don't think this tiered system will last all that long. It's Disney trying to find a way to not clog up the system (and have more day off FP chances) but in the end, it's just causing headaches.

Also: Why is Beauty and the Beast tier one? How does that even make any sense.

lazyboy97o

Wow this was beautifully written and easy to understand and connect. I never made the connection about the old system to the E ticket attractions of today. Well done.
But it is not similar outside of grouping attractions unless they start selling additional FastPass+ reservations. There was no rule that you had to buy a ticket book or that you had to buy only one ticket book. The ticket book was an option.

ParentsOf4

This makes me oh so very excited for my future WDW trip. Wow. SMH.
angry.gif
thumbsdown.gif
bash.gif

The amount of attractions with FP boggles my mind.
I find myself getting increasingly excited about my April trip to Disneyland Resort (DLR) where they don't have FP+!

It's ironic that purely from a ride capacity perspective, I suspect FP+ would work better at DLR than at WDW.

WDW simply has 3 parks that are not ready for FP+ yet they rammed this boondoggle through anyway.

Is there anyone running the show who knows what they're doing or are they simply so afraid of Iger's wrath that no one wanted to stand up and declare "the emperor has no clothes"?

It's a rhetorical question. I know what the answer is. :)

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I find myself getting increasingly exciting about my April trip to Disneyland Resort (DLR) where they don't have FP+!

It's ironic that purely from a ride capacity perspective, I suspect FP+ would work better at DLR than at WDW.

WDW simply has 3 parks that are not ready for FP+ yet they rammed this boondoggle through anyway.

Is there anyone running the show who knows what they're doing or are they simply so afraid of Iger's wrath that no one wanted to stand up and declare "the emperor has no clothes"?

It's a rhetorical question. I know what the answer is. :)

Funny how the Pixie Dusters - called us 'doom-n-gloomers' and now they are finding out FP+ is doing exactly what we predicted

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom