Disney's Hollywood Studios testing restrictions on FastPass+ selections

Weather_Lady

Same for us :confused:

You can bet 7DMT will be a first tier FP+ together with the mountains and the princess M&G. They want us free to roam the shops and buy more stuff but they forget they are forcing us to endure more and more lines. This makes me SO mad :banghead:

This is what frustrates me, too.

What was great about the old system is that it catered to those who care more about visiting attractions than anything else -- while offered to everyone, only those who valued it chose to use it, so the value was preserved for those who cared about it the most.

Now they've taken that benefit and forced everyone -- even those who were happier to focus on dining and shopping and relaxing and being spontaneous than on attractions, who never cared to use Fastpass in the first place -- to make use of it. Now the benefit is distributed so widely that it's of virtually no real value to anyone anymore. Moreover, imposing it on everybody will please absolutely no one. The shopper-diner who'd prefer to linger over coffee or browse a nearby shop will be annoyed when they are compelled to lay down the merchandise they were contemplating and dash across the park and jump in line for an attraction they thought, sitting at their computer weeks before, they might like to see. The commandos who want to minimize wait times and don't plan on doing other things won't suddenly decide to buy a T-shirt because the wait for Pirates of the Caribbean is double what it used/ought to be. They'll just stand in line annoyed, and instead of lingering in the gift shop at the end, they'll dash off to the next attraction feeling like they're "way behind schedule."

Remember Aesop's fable about the man, boy and donkey crossing a bridge, which illustrated that when you try to please everyone, you please no one? Apparently the suits at WDW don't. WDW has not only ed off its guests (at least, those who visited WDW under the former FP setup), but it won't even accomplish its own goal of raising revenue. (Yet. Until they charge extra for it and/or restrict it to a more limited subset of higher-spending guests, which is the moneygrubbing endgame many anticipate...)

Last edited:

DonaldDoleWhip

However, I will say that the reserved area for Illuminations was awesome. Hope that doesn't go away.
I agree that the reserved area for IllumiNations is great...but is it worth waiting in the standby lines for both Soarin' and Test Track? It's an awful decision to have to make.

The bottom line is that Disney has a massive problem on their hands, and they're not solving it. Three of the parks (Epcot, DHS, and AK) are completely lacking in substance, and there aren't enough attractions that people truly want to experience. Instead of rectifying the problem by improving the parks at a quicker pace, they've passed the problem onto the guest and amplified it. It might help temporarily, but this can't be a sustainable way to improve (or even maintain) guest satisfaction levels.

LucyK

Like visit Universal? :eek:
I can't even do that because I purposely decided to separate both vacations. I'll be done with Universal/Seaworld by the time I check in at our WDW resort and I'll be "trapped" inside Disney.

I guess it's time to add hoppers to my tickets so I can go to whichever park have morning EMH to hit the main attractions, leave for our break and hit a recommended park on the afternoon and use my PF+ selections there.

GrumpyFan

This just gets more and more interesting, if not slightly frustrating. Seems this new system is doing a good job at revealing how poorly balanced the parks are with their attractions aside from MK. In a way, this seems to harken back to the days of the ticket books where you only had so many tickets to ride the big/popular attractions, and more than you would want for the others. Makes me wonder what the evolution of this thing will look like.

ParentsOf4

WDW's ride capacity problem continues to stick out like the proverbial sore thumb.

In order for FP+ to succeed, guests have to be able to select FP+ that they actually care about.

Is getting a FP+ for LMA really going to stop anyone from heading up I-4 to Universal and experience some truly great new attractions?

WDW won't be ready for FP+ until they've added good ride capacity at Epcot, DHS, and DAK.

More and more, I believe the Disney executives who approved MyMagic+ have no clue what it's like to tour their own theme parks like the rest of us.

prberk

What's old is new again.

Whether it's good, bad, or neither, this is tiering like the old A-B-C-D-E ticket sytem, only with just two tiers (so far). The old ticket system had the best rides as "E" tickets -- just like we call them today, for that very reason. And the reason that the ticket books existed was to distribute attendance to less popular attractions (and to allow Disney to charge for extra tickets available for purchase).

I am surprised that no one has noted the similar concept.

And ironically, no one is talking about how "magical" those days used to be, and how we need to go back to them.

Of course, they could be setting up to charge extra for more Tier One fast-passes.... (I shouldn't give them ideas....)

Anyway, I still think overall that the "magic" of a Disney vacation is becoming way too complicated and expensive. And heaven forebid you just want to come and be open to new experiences without copious planning.

lazyboy97o

The ticket books were a package system created for convenience after the park opened. It was still possible to spend a day only riding E Tickets if you were willing to pay for those attractions individually. The tickets also had honest tiers with different pricing based on content that established expectations. FastPass created a set of expectations and now the attractions do not necessarily have a similar scope of content.

msteel

At least in January we'll be able to get traditional Fastpasses in addition to FP+.

What makes you so sure you will be able to do that? If they can do this:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/mymag...d-no-key-to-the-world-card-from-this-week.htm

with such short notice, then other onsite lodging is sure to follow. Unless you have an annual pass you might not have access to traditional Fastpass.

And, if you can do both, then I will be standing in line in January, without access to FP+, telling my kids that it is ALL STARWARSGIRL95's FAULT that our 8:55-9:00pm Fastpass for TSMM (that we got at 8:32am) is the only one we get to have for the day.

(In case I wasn't over-the-top enough, I am just kidding...sort of...if I have to...I guess.)

GrumpyFan

What's old is new again.

Whether it's good, bad, or neither, this is tiering like the old A-B-C-D-E ticket sytem, only with just two tiers (so far). The old ticket system had the best rides as "E" tickets -- just like we call them today, for that very reason. And the reason that the ticket books existed was to distribute attendance to less popular attractions (and to allow Disney to charge for extra tickets available for purchase).

I am surprised that no one has noted the similar concept.

Completely agree, and I said the same, just above.

And ironically, no one is talking about how "magical" those days used to be, and how we need to go back to them.

Of course, they could be setting up to charge extra for more Tier One fast-passes.... (I shouldn't give them ideas....)

Again, the same thoughts have passed thru my mind as well. It's very possible and they've discussed such ideas in some of the patents that were created for MB/MDE.

Anyway, I still think overall that the "magic" of a Disney vacation is becoming way too complicated and expensive. And heaven forebid you just want to come and be open to new experiences without copious planning.

Interesting, and perhaps you're right, although, I didn't find it terribly complicated when we used it in October. It was quite easy actually.
What I see happening is the creation of pre-packaged "experiences" or what some might call a touring plan where they pre-select attractions for you prior to your arrival, based on your family/group makeup or using a selection list of type experience desired. Mind you, I can't see this happening or being forced on everyone, but I could see it being offered for those who want a "hassle free vacation".

StarWarsGirl

What makes you so sure you will be able to do that? If they can do this:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/mymag...d-no-key-to-the-world-card-from-this-week.htm

with such short notice, then other onsite lodging is sure to follow. Unless you have an annual pass you might not have access to traditional Fastpass.

And, if you can do both, then I will be standing in line in January, without access to FP+, telling my kids that it is ALL STARWARSGIRL95's FAULT that our 8:55-9:00pm Fastpass for TSMM (that we got at 8:32am) is the only one we get to have for the day.

(In case I wasn't over-the-top enough, I am just kidding...sort of...if I have to...I guess.)
I have an annual, yes. And my friend has a separate pass too. That's how I know.

I'm not planning on using FP+ a terrible amount. Probably just for TSM and Splash Mountain. It's open the first weekend we're there. And I meant that I will use TSM and then Rock 'n Roller Coaster. I'm not up early enough to go take them all from you;).

doctornick

Epcot is already doing this, with Soarin', Test Track and Maelstrom in the top group.

What would it be at DAK when they roll it out? E:E, Safari and Dinosaur? Maybe FOTLK once it comes back in the summer?

Furthermore, this is how it was at the start of FP+ testing, but it quickly changed to a free for all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom