Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

nytimez

Interesting side note to the Grand Fla DVC (@71jason can back me up)..... Turns out that Mizner's Lounge at the Grand Fla has been getting slammed nightly since the DVC opened up. Didnt see that coming.

When you get there, check into your room and see what you got for your big DVC investment... well, it's only natural to head straight for the bar.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Trouble is by ACCEPTING this kind of c--p you pave the way for MORE of it and more abusive behavior by Big Business. A line needs to be drawn and fought over otherwise Big Business will think that bringing back 'Indentured Servants' and Serfdom is a good and profitable idea,
I guess I'm kind of confused...accepting what kind of crap. That there are many things that we as people can reject...like Theme Parks open on family Holidays or that we as people insist that they be open during that time. Or that we as people can reject retail establishments being open during family holidays all the while standing in line at 4 am and knocking people over to get ten cents off a Barbie Doll. Without the support of the public none of that crap exists. The power has always been in our hands, we just don't use it, because we don't find it offensive in large enough numbers. When all is said and done, the haves do not give a damn about the have nots. All they care about is what do I want at this moment in time.

Nothing is being brought back...it never left. I am not necessarily endorsing anything, I'm telling you what it is. Sorry you can't accept reality. Big business in all it's evil is how we all live. Unless, of course, you happen to have a tree in your back yard that produces money, we all depend on it. Like it or not. I'm not sure what crap we are accepting. I have been saying all along that it is wrong, but certain things are what they are. How can we say that it is awful for a retail worker to work on a family holiday and in the same breath say the it's OK as long as they are working in a place like Disney. I'll tell you how, it's because we have somehow decided that playing in a Theme Park is a necessity of life and therefore it's OK to deprive someone of family so it doesn't interfere with our ability to ride Space Mountain. What a bunch of hypocrites we are. If we don't like it...BAD. If we like it....GOOD. It is a double standard and it is exactly what is creating the idea that big business can do what they want. It's because even though big business sometimes tell us what we want or at least leads us into it, WE all, in one form or the other insist that we have what they are selling.

Last edited:

alissafalco

There are two DVC concepts for EPCOT that have been floated. One in the parking lot at the entrance. One incorporating a handful of WS pavilions. They will never do the latter because of cost, but the former I can see happening.

Besides, it isn't like they are actually maintaining the parking lot anyway.

Glad to hear the latter wont happen. That space should be used to expand the pavillions for ATTRACTIONS! Even though we all know that wont happen either :(

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
On Thor 2: An improvement from the first Thor which isn't saying much, but I enjoyed it. I have always liked how the Marvel Cinematic Universe films have comedic beats that work especially after the over dour, super serious Man of Steel. Iron Man 3 is still a better film, but Robert Downey Jr. and Shane Black have a great report after Kiss Kiss Bang Bang so it's hard to fault Thor for not having that advantage. One of the unique things about this film, and I will try to explain without giving any spoilers, is its introduction to movie goers of the "weird" direction Marvel's films are going to take going forward to ramp up for The Avenges v. Thanos/Infinity Gauntlet. A particular sequence in the film serves to really introduce this, but… I have said too much.

One thing I was wondering as I left the theater was accessibility of these films going forward for the general public. Fiege and co have really worked to turn these adaptations into a greater serialized universe. I deeply admire this ambition and wish Iger would take note of this as he learns all the wrong lessons from their success. However, as time goes on, it may become harder for audiences to latch onto these films because many people will say "I haven't seen Thor or Iron Man or Cap, I won't know what's going on". While Marvel has learned to make films that are both part of a greater universe and still stand alone, they have a lot of ground to cover and I worry future films may get too plotly, like Iron Man 2. Of course the other issue here is Iger and the sharp pencil boys wanting every Marvel film to make a billion dollars. Guardians of the Galaxy is going to be the weirdest comic book adaptation ever attempted as a tent pole. In the mean time, I sure bet Iger is happy they no longer have to sacrifice a percentage of the gross to Paramount!

Cap 2's trailer was pretty awesome though.

Spirit, what does Thor need to make, ballpark, to get into the black?

With 'Hollywood Accounting' films NEVER go into profitability Titanic, Avatar LOTR these collectively made BILLIONS and officially they are still in the RED!. That's why artists insist on a share of the GROSS instead of a share of the PROFITS (there will NEVER be any...)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I guess I'm kind of confused...accepting what kind of crap. That there are many things that we as people can reject...like Theme Parks open on family Holidays or that we as people insist that they be open during that time. Or that we as people can reject retail establishments being open during family holidays all the while standing in line at 4 am and knocking people over to get ten cents off a Barbie Doll. Without the support of the public none of that crap exists. The power has always been in our hands, we just don't use it, because we don't find it offensive in large enough numbers. When all is said and done, the haves do not give a damn about the have nots. All they care about is what do I want at this moment in time.

Nothing is being brought back...it never left. I am not necessarily endorsing anything, I'm telling you what it is. Sorry you can't accept reality. Big business in all it's evil is how we all live. Unless, of course, you happen to have a tree in your back yard that produces money, we all depend on it. Like it or not. I'm not sure what crap we are accepting. I have been saying all along that it is wrong, but certain things are what they are. How can we say that it is awful for a retail worker to work on a family holiday and in the same breath say the it's OK as long as they are working in a place like Disney. I'll tell you how, it's because we have somehow decided that playing in a Theme Park is a necessity of life and therefore it's OK to deprive someone of family so it doesn't interfere with our ability to ride Space Mountain. What a bunch of hypocrites we are. If we don't like it...BAD. If we like it....GOOD. It is a double standard and it is exactly what is creating the idea that big business can do what they want. It's because even though big business sometimes tell us what we want or at least leads us into it, WE all, in one form or the other insist that we have what they are selling.

I've worked in ESSENTIAL services like Hospitals, Government and Transportation and I've worked ALL the holidays many more than once, We have allowed the untrammeled greed of big business to distort civil society to the point where many multi-nationals are more powerful than governments. We run the very real risk of devolving into corporate feudalism. Big Business LOVES China because of the burgeoning corporate feudalism where workers live in dormitories and the tiniest detail of their lives are regulated by the corporation and many of them end their miserable lives by jumping off the high rise dormitory roof.

Personally I DONT want to live in a company town and I do my SMALL part by not participating in the greedfest known as the holiday season, If a lot more of us did the same we CAN bend the curve because in the end all they care about is money. If people avoided the stores on the holidays in droves you can be sure that experiment would not be repeated.

Nemo14

My oldest works at Hobby Lobby. Fantastically successful store always closed on Sundays. I like to see him have a day off every weekend. Works great for a school kid...

On a semi-related note, back in the day when I was teaching I had a firm personal policy about not assigning homework on weekends. I worked my students hard during the week, and I held very high standards and expectations for them. And guess what, they improved significantly not only in their day-to-day stuff, but on all those mandated tests.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
When you get there, check into your room and see what you got for your big DVC investment... well, it's only natural to head straight for the bar.

Smell the mildew, see the rust stains in the bathroom where they used steel instead of stainless fasteners to save a buck, Yeah I'd want an adult beverage ASAP as well.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
With 'Hollywood Accounting' films NEVER go into profitability Titanic, Avatar LOTR these collectively made BILLIONS and officially they are still in the RED!. That's why artists insist on a share of the GROSS instead of a share of the PROFITS (there will NEVER be any...)

There is no chance those movies cost in excess of $1B as you insinuate.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
There is no chance those movies cost in excess of $1B as you insinuate.

I agree fully - however officially none of those movies has made a dime, Makes one wonder why so many people work so hard in a completely unprofitable industry...

Allow me to introduce you to the weird and wonderful world of 'Hollywood Accounting'

An exemplar

http://www.theatlantic.com/business...make-a-450-million-movie-unprofitable/245134/

From Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_accounting

Enjoy!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Publix used to pay an extra $1 per hour for working on Sundays, not sure if they still do, this was like 15 years ago.

That's horrible by most standards. Grocery is long union.. and union was 2x pay on Sunday for decades, and then it dropped to 1.5x pay circa the 90s.

Ever want to see the most senior people in your grocery store? Look who works the morning shift on Sunday and holidays :) They are making holiday pay AND sunday pay combined :)

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I agree fully - however officially none of those movies has made a dime, Makes one wonder why so many people work so hard in a completely unprofitable industry...

Allow me to introduce you to the weird and wonderful world of 'Hollywood Accounting'

An exemplar

http://www.theatlantic.com/business...make-a-450-million-movie-unprofitable/245134/

From Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_accounting

Enjoy!

I see what you mean now. They essentially moved the profits from the movie to their distribution arm to prevent paying substantial points to actors. They made money but accounting wise they moved it from one line to another. It makes sense.

Cody5242

Interesting side note to the Grand Fla DVC (@71jason can back me up)..... Turns out that Mizner's Lounge at the Grand Fla has been getting slammed nightly since the DVC opened up. Didnt see that coming.
That was a bad move on Disneys part to not build a lounge area in the new DVC wing. It wouldn't of cost them much and could of been quite profitable

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Unless they calculated that the current Grand Floridian food and beverage offerings were being under-utilized and increasing revenue from these venues was one of their original motivations for building the DVC in the first place.
Top of the World at BLT seems to be less successful than originally planned and BLT is significantly larger than VGF. I think that combined with the various options in GF resulted in no dedicated lounge.

tissandtully

That's horrible by most standards. Grocery is long union.. and union was 2x pay on Sunday for decades, and then it dropped to 1.5x pay circa the 90s.

Ever want to see the most senior people in your grocery store? Look who works the morning shift on Sunday and holidays :) They are making holiday pay AND sunday pay combined :)

Yeaaaah, this was in FL, there aren't grocery unions here, wouldn't last long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom