Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

COProgressFan

Anyway, I'm off to take my father out to lunch. The same father that hooked me on the MAGIC of WDW back on Christmas Day 1974. The same father that bought me my first AP as soon as Disney began selling them. Even the same father who seriously considered moving to Celebration because Disney was developing it and 'they do everything right' ...oh, the same father who I can barely get into the parks for free over the last dozen or so years because he sees what they've done to their product. The Walmarting ...the gouging ...the in your face not valuing the most loyal customers. I guess Pixie Dust just runs stronger with me ....

Poignant, and sad.

I have older relatives (including my parents) who have noticed the changes too. Took their grandchildren to WDW for the first time, and were disgusted at what they saw. They too noticed the dirt, the staleness, the poor service, and the extreme prices and were very disappointed. They noted the place is nothing like it was during the early 80's when they first went.

I guess Disney doesn't want the oldtimers anymore, or would rather they forget how things used to be.

Beholder

Poignant, and sad.

I have older relatives (including my parents) who have noticed the changes too. Took their grandchildren to WDW for the first time, and were disgusted at what they saw. They too noticed the dirt, the staleness, the poor service, and the extreme prices and were very disappointed. They noted the place is nothing like it was during the early 80's when they first went.

I guess Disney doesn't want the oldtimers anymore, or would rather they forget how things used to be.

Perhaps it's easier maintaining a lower standard? Less effort, less trouble, and why bother? People still show up (guilty) by the millions.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If MM+ was only about 'attraction access' and the attempt to monetize it to the detriment of the guests, that is one thing.

Isn't it interesting how you conveniently insert 'to the detriment of the guests' to make your point? Did I not say 'if the customer loses, Disney will lose'. Speak with your wallet.

COPPA was put into law to prevent companies from collecting data on minor children. Due to a loophole that may or may not exist, they are tracking data on those same minors that the law was intended to protect. And Disney's tracking may be much, much, more harmful on, say, General Mills tracking them.

General Mills can't find out if little Johnny likes Count Chokula without a parents permission

It's clear you have no idea what COPPA really is... I suggest you research what the O in COPPA stands for.

crispy

Ok, on their apparant desire to kill 'park hopping'....

I was watching Disney Channel (does my liking Phineas & Ferb kill my credibility?) and they had this commercial of a 'Disney Channel' star and her family (mom, dad, 1 brother, several sisters) with a guide of some sort (plain clothes if I remember right).

You first see them at the castle. The 'guide' asks where to you want to go now.

The New Test Track! (you then see them ride it).

What do you want to do next?

Lets see the New Fantasyland! (you see them walk around it, then they obviously come out of BOG).

(After that they split up - the guide & the sisters go shopping at DD, dad & brother go bowling, mom gets a spa treatment).

And they meet up at some restaurant that I didn't recognize after.

What do you want to do tomorrow?

(I wonder how they managed to do all that stuff in one day without multiple 'hopping'? Unless it's only for the One Percenters now - and that's now their primary target audience)

Could a 'regular' person start in front of the castle in the morning, then go to Test Track, then backtrack to BOG for lunch, with the MM+ system in place?

(Come to think of it, they enjoyed the food they ate in the MK, so maybe they didn't eat at BOG after all :)).

If loving Phineas and Ferb is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

flynnibus

Premium Member
What about attraction, show and other reservations?

You really think this is an issue worth bringing up? Beyond the zero monetary value in this.. do you think Disney can not handle guest recovery? They throw them a bone of a few FPs or some credits and the problem disappears.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Track me all they want. They'll probably wonder what I'm doing anyway.

But make me wait longer in line because I didn't have an impulse ride choice 6 months ago or deny me a fast pass on the day and my whole extended family - who are talking about a visit next fall - will take our not unsubstantial disposable spending money elsewhere.

Sorry Jim, but you chose the wrong direction. We know its not working. Cut the losses whilst you can still salvage something.

Last edited:

Funmeister

You really think this is an issue worth bringing up? Beyond the zero monetary value in this.. do you think Disney can not handle guest recovery? They throw them a bone of a few FPs or some credits and the problem disappears.

Unless you have worked the front lines in Guest Relations at a Disney theme park or Guest Communications I would recommend you re-think your opinion and assumptions. If you think problems "disappear" based on your solution you have no concept in true customer service and second you belittle the work that hundreds of people do on a daily basis.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Unless you have worked the front lines in Guest Relations at a Disney theme park or Guest Communications I would recommend you re-think your opinion and assumptions. If you think problems "disappear" based on your solution you have no concept in true customer service and second you belittle the work that hundreds of people do on a daily basis.

So tell me again what the customers 'lost' in your postulation? They lost some time dealing with a lost item.. after which their token is replaced and life goes on. If there is something in that process that puts the customer at a disadvantage due to Disney's delay... guest recovery will kick in and Disney will try to make their customer happy.

So tell me again.. what will the customer loses and with your extensive experience on the front line.. you're suggesting a customer that is put out badly due to Disney.. will be just thrown to the wolves?

Funmeister

So tell me again what the customers 'lost' in your postulation? They lost some time dealing with a lost item.. after which their token is replaced and life goes on. If there is something in that process that puts the customer at a disadvantage due to Disney's delay... guest recovery will kick in and Disney will try to make their customer happy.

So tell me again.. what will the customer loses and with your extensive experience on the front line.. you're suggesting a customer that is put out badly due to Disney.. will be just thrown to the wolves?

You are beginning to bring in factors on different ends of the spectrum. I will be more than happy to go back to the original debate but please do not use the "shotgun effect" to blur the lines. No time for that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You are beginning to bring in factors on different ends of the spectrum. I will be more than happy to go back to the original debate but please do not use the "shotgun effect" to blur the lines. No time for that.

You said..
What about attraction, show and other reservations?

So again.. what about those can Disney not address with guest recovery? What does the customer have at risk in your question?

MattM

MM+ has been an unmitigated disaster whether you care about Disney's nebulous and concerning relationships with the government and its contractors or not. It is failing spectacularly.

Hope you get this alert, but I expect no response :)

Do you have any proof of any such nebulous or concerning relationships with the government?

I know you don't like to be questioned. And I know you have a weird fetish with driving traffic to Disney forums, weird as it may be. But I think you need that, probably something from childhood with the need to be constantly validated, no doubt. But you hide behind a cloak of anonymity, making absurd statements with no evidence to support your conclusions, even though you present them as fact. What's more sad is that people believe you, blindly.

If you have proof, show it. I'll admit I'm wrong. But you won't. And you'll call me an obstructionist or whatever, because I don't eat out of your hand (which is really gross if you think about it).

Bring substance, or stop complaining when people call you out for your lack of it.

MattM

Yup, http://www.geek.com/news/disney-to-setup-advertising-research-center-574867/

That is just a fluff story about the facility. Henry Giroux and Grace Pollock wrote an interesting book named "The Mouse that Roared." They unearthed much more. They researched and spoke with psychologists and sociologists who explained that Disney was paying families to allow them to let researchers come into their homes and study their childrens habits and even examine their room and closets to get a better idea of the childs behavioral pattern. Then the children were tested at the facility in their makeshift "living rooms" and play areas and ran extensive psychological testing and cameras monitored everything from heart rate to eye movement. Many top psychologists turned Disney down when they were approached to be part of the team because they felt it was a serious ethics violation on the children. They even criticized the researchers who did accept the job from Disney. The book gets extremely in depth on Disneys marketing techniques and how far they are willing to go and how much money is spent on this type of research. It is staggering.

Now, is this all doom and gloom? Not at all. The authors are not bashing Disney in the book. They agree that Disney provides many levels of entertainment for children and adults alike. They do question the misuse of the information they garner from innocent children. While this is not "tracking" of children via a wrsitband, you would have to be a fool to think that if they spent millions on a research facility specifically to study children that they wont be doing the same through the wristbands on a very extensive level. They will probly be more interested in the kids info they get from the bands more than mom and dads because as the book explains, Disney focuses more on what the children want and its easier to target the children and then let them harass mom and dad to buy them what they want weather it be a new dvd or a plush toy or even a magical trip to WDW. Its a great book. I highly recommend it.

Interesting points. Thanks for sharing. Is it really "kiddie tracking" if parents sign off (and the topic of why parents would sign off on that is a whole different discussion)??

I'll order that book, but if it's not worth the time I'm sending you a bill ;)

MattM

P.S. - Does anyone find the timing strange regarding the CIA's acknowledgement of the existence of "Area 51" and @WDW1974 's (more) bizarre behavior?

MattM

P.S. II: @WDW1974 Everybody (in reality anyway) knows that very little real business happens outside of the hours of 5pm and 7pm, and almost zero happens on Friday, especially in summer. What I'm saying is, I'm here to counterpoint your BS during "normal" business hours :)

Keys Please

Track me all they want. They'll probably wonder what I'm doing anyway.

But make me wait longer in line because I didn't have an impulse ride choice 6 months ago or deny me a fast pass on the day and my whole extended family - who are talking about a visit next fall - will take our not unsubstantial disposable spending money elsewhere.

Sorry Jim, but you chose the wrong direction. We know its not working. Cut the losses whilst you can still salvage something.

Really pours salt on the wound to know this is his baby.

71jason

MM+ has been an unmitigated disaster whether you care about Disney's nebulous and concerning relationships with the government and its contractors or not. It is failing spectacularly.

I realize it's easier to derail discussion by making tinfoil hat jokes, but have any Disney supporters offered serious contention to this point? Not enough guests are using the system, those that do are giving feedback based on faulty assumptions (that MM+ is "bonus" Fastpasses, not the only Fastpasses they'd have under the true system). A sure sign it's not going to work.

MattM

I realize it's easier to derail discussion by making tinfoil hat jokes, but have any Disney supporters offered serious contention to this point? Not enough guests are using the system, those that do are giving feedback based on faulty assumptions (that MM+ is "bonus" Fastpasses, not the only Fastpasses they'd have under the true system). A sure sign it's not going to work.
It's kind of like being innocent until proven guilty. We "Disney supporters" don't have to offer serious contention to a point that cannot be taken seriously without providing some type of proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom