How do you increase distance????

ejsanta13

Original Poster
I was wondering how everyone out there increased their distance. Did you use a running/training schedule, use walk/run intervals, or just go out, run and figure it out as you go. Currently I am just trying to add a little distance into my weekend run each week (weekday runs are short due to time). Newer to running and want to work my way up to a half. TIA!! Ok, GO!!

longsaber

I've always added a quarter mile to my run every week. Takes a while but I've been injury free for 5+ years of daily running.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Rule of thumb, dont add more than 10% per week. It might be risky to do small numbers during the week and big numbers on the weekend; meaning a 3, 4, 3 then 20 miler or something.

Increase slowly. As the poster said above, take it slow, reduce chance of injury.

Do you chart your mileage? If not, might want to take on a half schedule or something to see how your body handles increasing mileage. They are designed with the 10% rule in mind.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
If you want to do it properly, listen to @joel_maxwell because it is calculated and safe.

If you want my way...then run until your muscles burn. Then keep going. When you can't take anymore, keep going. Then repeat the next day, but go further. Then repeat the next day, but go even further. And do that consistently for weeks and months straight without taking a break, running through pain until your body doesn't feel it, and running through injury so your body fixes itself because you're not giving it any options except to keep going longer and longer :D
Then, when you're fried, and beat, you're almost there :banghead:

joel_maxwell

If you want to do it properly, listen to @joel_maxwell because it is calculated and safe.

If you want my way...then run until your muscles burn. Then keep going. When you can't take anymore, keep going. Then repeat the next day, but go further. Then repeat the next day, but go even further. And do that consistently for weeks and months straight without taking a break, running through pain until your body doesn't feel it, and running through injury so your body fixes itself because you're not giving it any options except to keep going longer and longer :D
Then, when you're fried, and beat, you're almost there :banghead:
Why did I picture the scene from the Matrix when reading your post? Mine suggestion is the Blue Pill, yours the Red Pill. Genius.

Morpheus: This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

dreamfinder

Another component to adding miles, making sure you can repeat it. So not only do you want to add only small distances, but you need to make sure that you can do that distance multiple times. So if you are doing one long run a week, with several shorter tempo/speedwork/whatever runs, make sure you can do the run this week, and next week before you add distance. So 3, 3, 3 1/4, 3 1/4, 3 1/2, 3 1/2, 3 3/4, etc (assuming this is your long run each week). Most people can push themselves at least once, but not many people are like @Donald Duck and can do it regularly.

fbp

I've always added a quarter mile to my run every week. Takes a while but I've been injury free for 5+ years of daily running.

If you started by running a quarter mile your current daily run would be around 65 miles. Whoa.

LindsayLoves

I started from zero last year in April with the run/walk method and once I was able to run 3 miles in one go I slowly followed the Galloway training plan for the marathon and adding longer runs every other week until I was up to 18. It took me about 6-7 months to run that distance starting off with no running but others might have different experiences to mine.

ejsanta13

Original Poster
Thanks Everyone!!! I appreciate all of the advice. 3.5 is my current base, which I run during the week in the mornings before work.

@joel_maxwell I keep track of my runs on the mapmyrun app, so i know what I do for milage each week. Not quite looking to do a 20 miler yet but would like to run a 1/2 next spring.

@Donald Duck , you are a beast and I don't know if anyone else could utilize that training mentality and survive. It is the sheer (sp?) determination and love for running that you and others on this forum have that has shown me that running is just not a PAIN (which it used to be), but that it can be enjoyable and help bring out the best in yourself!!

With completing the C25K program, just didn't know what the next step would be. anyone use an app for a 10k or 1/2 marathon training? Does galloway or higdon have an app to track progress?

joel_maxwell

Thanks Everyone!!! I appreciate all of the advice. 3.5 is my current base, which I run during the week in the mornings before work.

@joel_maxwell I keep track of my runs on the mapmyrun app, so i know what I do for milage each week. Not quite looking to do a 20 miler yet but would like to run a 1/2 next spring.

@Donald Duck , you are a beast and I don't know if anyone else could utilize that training mentality and survive. It is the sheer (sp?) determination and love for running that you and others on this forum have that has shown me that running is just not a PAIN (which it used to be), but that it can be enjoyable and help bring out the best in yourself!!

With completing the C25K program, just didn't know what the next step would be. anyone use an app for a 10k or 1/2 marathon training? Does galloway or higdon have an app to track progress?
I cant help you in the app department. Im old school. I get the plan, put it down in a very customized xls spreadsheet with every day of the months ahead until my event. I have what i am supposed to do that day, and the days to follow already filled in so I can plan ahead. Im not a huge "app" guy, because I like to see it, visualize it and wrap my head around it in which an app wouldnt allow that. Besides, that 1 xls has ever run, calorie, elevation gained etc I have done the last 4 years.

Just migrate from a 10k schedule to a half schedule, then a full schedule. If you need to extend a week of training (meaning that weeks workout) and extra week or for a month, not a big deal. Safest way to increase is follow a schedule.

JillC LI

If 3.5 is your base a few times per week, then I'd say you could gradually increase your weekend run to 4, 5 or even 6 miles. I like the increase one weekend, drop back the next weekend approach. And as others have said, do not increase either your long-run or your total weekly mileage by more than 10% per week to avoid injury. If you want to get ready for a Half, then you'd probably be best off following a beginners training plan starting 3-4 months beforehand.

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
I was wondering how everyone out there increased their distance. Did you use a running/training schedule, use walk/run intervals, or just go out, run and figure it out as you go. Currently I am just trying to add a little distance into my weekend run each week (weekday runs are short due to time). Newer to running and want to work my way up to a half. TIA!! Ok, GO!!

Great question! Im new to running too!!!! Good luck with your training!! I did get a tip from a friend who runs that she was able to go longer and farther by doing yoga to focus on her core and her hip flexors. She likes following this and found it helpful: http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/hip-flexor-and-hamstring-stretch

There are some stretches you can do each day to help. A running coach sent this link to me. So hopefully it helps:

The pigeon toe stretch and ballet feet stretch feel so good!!!!! And the hip flexor ones too.

mufasa0505

If you go to the runDisney site, there are Jeff Galloway training plans right in there. If you're doing a specific Disney race, it even tells you which day each run should be on. Or you can just google different training plans for whatever length you are moving up to and choose which one suits you best.

Phonedave

I started with couch to 5K. I worked up to marathon with "the Non-Runners Marathon Trainer"

I'll be seriously starting training for a 50 miler (May 3, 2014) in a week or two. Unlike Nick (Donlad Duck) who puts up 20+ mile days for a month or more straight, I am more like Joel.

I plan of 5 days or running per week. I do one or two long runs. and the rest are mid lenght. I have to thow some more trail work in there as well. Up and down the Tourne, wash, rinse, repeat.

-dave

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I started with couch to 5K. I worked up to marathon with "the Non-Runners Marathon Trainer"

I'll be seriously starting training for a 50 miler (May 3, 2014) in a week or two. Unlike Nick (Donlad Duck) who puts up 20+ mile days for a month or more straight, I am more like Joel.

I plan of 5 days or running per week. I do one or two long runs. and the rest are mid lenght. I have to thow some more trail work in there as well. Up and down the Tourne, wash, rinse, repeat.

-dave
Haha, thanks for the "tip of the hat" Dave! I can write up a 50 miles plan for you if you want. But you might be able to run a 100 mi after my plan ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom