Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotoDave219

I've ridden a LOT of roller coasters in my life, both Busch Gardens, USO, IOA, Dorney Park, Kings Dominion & Disney.

The Hulk, Alpengeist, Thunderhawk (The old wooden coaster at Dorney), Grizzly (The old woody at Kings Dominion), Apollos Chariot come before RNRC then Space Mountain.

Thats where my list starts.

MerlinTheGoat

Agreed above about the awful Primeval Whirl. Such a disgusting sight that is. The entire carnival in fact. But even then there's a logical story they were going with for the area, so someone COULD make an argument for the way it looks. I couldn't care less about that, the entire area looks horrible and ruins that side of the park.

Manta is not all pretty smiles and rainbows either. If you're comparing "signature shots", at least get the view of Hulk across the lagoon. Or from Seuss Landing.

But the entrance to Manta is "prettier" than the entrance to Hulk. But Hulk's entrance is supposed to be to a scientific laboratory, not into a mystical aquarium.
Others already posted shots of Hulk from those angles in this thread. I think the point was to show people that there are some angles of Hulk that make the ride look tacky and Six Flags like. Particularly the entrance signage.

BryceM

that exposes the fakeness of Port of Entry.
I agree with this. Port of Entry is a shining example of a lavishly themed environment; one the best entrances to a theme park in my opinion. But the views from The Hulk does harm this. But once I step foot in Port of Entry again, I forget about the view I had from Hulk and am immediately immersed in the environment again.

I watched a POV of California Screamin' at DCA and I was irked with the end of the ride due to all of the backstage views. I feel like with any larger roller coaster at a theme park, you will be seeing some backstage views of lands which "expose their fakeness".

PhotoDave219

Oh, I know. I just wish they would pick on the actual issues Universal has. Exposed coaster track isn't one. Counter Service quality and lack of attractions for the under 5 set are very valid complaints. The fact they actually have big coasters in their theme parks? Not so much.

Exposed coaster track is nit-picking. I have no problem with it and it works well if you do it right.

Universal's Counter service is pretty awful and there isnt much to do for the under five / cant ride thrill ride set.
I mean Betleguse's show was cute the first time but dear god its not that good....

GLaDOS

Universal's Counter service is pretty awful and there isnt much to do for the under five / cant ride thrill ride set.

Agreed on the counter service for the most part. Disagree on the second part. I'd say Universal's problem isn't that it's lacking in stuff for the little ones to do. It's that it's lacking in things for everyone to do together. Little ones love a lot of IoA and Universal, but the stuff they love is boring as toast for older kids and adults, and the stuff the adults love the little ones don't.

I don't think catering to different age groups is the issue, it's that they have so little that caters to all age groups at once.

PhotoDave219

Agreed on the counter service for the most part. Disagree on the second part. I'd say Universal's problem isn't that it's lacking in stuff for the little ones to do. It's that it's lacking in things for everyone to do together. Little ones love a lot of IoA and Universal, but the stuff they love is boring as toast for older kids and adults, and the stuff the adults love the little ones don't.

I don't think catering to different age groups is the issue, it's that they have so little that caters to all age groups at once.

I'll give you that.

Me, I'm dealing with my own issues in trying to find stuff over at Universal that I can ride anymore. There's some fun stuff but I'd like more.

Theyve got great headliner attractions but they could use some midrange attractions.

GLaDOS

Theyve got great headliner attractions but they could use some midrange attractions.

I completely agree with you, and I think (or hope) we're going to see some in the years following Diagon Alley barring any unfortunate downturns in their business.

manutdfan1

I've ridden a LOT of roller coasters in my life, both Busch Gardens, USO, IOA, Dorney Park, Kings Dominion & Disney.

The Hulk, Alpengeist, Thunderhawk (The old wooden coaster at Dorney), Grizzly (The old woody at Kings Dominion), Apollos Chariot come before RNRC then Space Mountain.

Thats where my list starts.

Alpengeist is AWFUL for an inverted coaster. Afterburn at Carowinds, the only amusement and/or theme park within 3 hours of me :(), is a much smoother/better inverted coaster. Better than Dueling Dragons too.

Disney doesn't crack my list of top 10 coasters. But they dominate my top 10 list of favorite rides. 8 Disney/2 Uni to be exact. If a bare coaster came to a Disney park that didn't absolutely fit the theme (like Cali Screaming), I would be very upset. For a land to be fully immersive, it can't have a bare coaster. That's one of the things that always sets Disney ahead of the competition for me.

ETA: Actually, I take that back. Space Mountain in Cali is definitely in my top 10 favorite coasters. Awesome experience.

PhotoDave219

I completely agree with you, and I think (or hope) we're going to see some in the years following Diagon Alley barring any unfortunate downturns in their business.

Barring external factors, Universal is rapidly laying the groundwork to keep that from happening.

I think they realize that the guests wont always come unless you are constantly engaging them and changing things.

manutdfan1

You're nuts. Alpengeist is fantastic.

Too rough for me and my other theme park crazed friends.

I haven't been since the new coaster opened at BGW, but I'd put the coasters there in this order:

1) Apollo's Chariot
2) Griffin
3) Loch Ness Monster
4) Alpengeist
5) Big Bad Wolf (so sad that it's closed)

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

Hmmm... someone who looks good in a Wonder Woman costume makes any location "well-themed" for me, ifyouknowwhatimean.
You make a good point.

Six Flags has different aesthetical aspirations. It may be out of place in a Disney park, but at Six Flags leaving stuff bare and exposed actually adds to the theming:

tumblr_mqkrheSRpJ1qa10uwo1_1280.jpg

HenryMystic

Nah. Blackpool Pleasure Beach is hideous. Hulk is.... gracefully visible. IMHO.

But talk about thread drifting. What happened to DHS? Carsland? Star Wars? Avland? Imagination? Rocketing budgets and promises that are unobtainable? You know, the fun stuff?

I see what you did there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom