Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

luv

Exposed coaster track isn't a bad thing, IMO. It's fun and exciting. What Sea World did with Manta is awesome - the way it comes twirling through over people's heads. Lots of folks stop to watch it go by. Very cool.

I have no problems at all with coasters in parks...and actually enjoy it. Even when I'm too old to ride them, I think I'll still enjoy seeing them. :) I can't ride Hulk now, but still like to see it.

Having collected Smurfs even before they had a TV show, I'd love to see a little smurf ride...or smurf scene at the end of a ride, much like the munchkin scene at the end of TGMR. I think it would be adorable. They could even pump in that "La-la, la-la la-la, la, la-la la-la" stuff. I'm not sure how much today's kids are into smurfs, though.

nytimez

the ride itself is a thrill, and somewhat fun until the end where it bangs your head! but yes....there is no denying its poorly themed to the hulk. Just give it up. because this is so beautiful to look at!
incredible-hulk.jpg

Ahhhh...gotta love those grey supports and green track. Gotta make sure I get my picture infront of that masterpiece! :rolleyes:

This photo makes the opposite of your point.

Tom Morrow

Ok, I'll say it. Universal's use of screens sucks. I recently took some relatives over to Universal Studios Hollywood. They hadn't been in some 20 odd years, and to say they were unimpressed and underwhelmed by the attractions would be an understatement. The Simpsons ride is a dud. The Transformers ride is incoherent and ugly (bare concrete and grey steel is poor theming, even if it fits your "story" well), and the less said about the Shrek thing, the better. I can't even believe they would consider another 3D simulator with Despicable Me, now it just seems like they are cheap and creatively bankrupt.

But the big disappointment was the Kong 360-3D/4D-Smellovision-whatever. Now we're not even comparing Universal to Disney, we are comparing Universal to its own past attraction. Relatives who decades ago remember being impressed by the giant physical Kong monkey and couldn't believe that it was replaced by yet another simulator screen. And it had the same problem as Transformers: visually incoherent, audibly incoherent, and not "immersive" by any definition of the word. That portion of the tram tour got less response than the decades old Earthquake bit with its real water and fire and train crashing through the station.

I myself hadn't been to Universal in many, many years, and even I left scratching me head. What's all the hype about this company, nobody in my group wanted to go back.
Let me guess, I bet you think Soarin' is amazing? While I can't speak for the quality of USH, All of these rides are better than Soarin'.
OK I get how a rollercoaster can be cool visually inside an amusement park, But at a theme park, I just feel that its lazy to have a track out in the open! By making the track green, adding a tube that shows a hulk transformation, and a mist tunnel does not make it themed. Now if the ride were to go through a testing facility as you being the hulk and smashing through walls and what not, Then yes that would be cool. Instead its a giant green coaster (which IMHO, is very rough)

I am not saying Disney is perfect at making rollercoasters by any means, but they do a good job of hiding the track as to working with the environment around you. Dueling dragons is horribly hidden and rip ride rocket.....come on. That one is six flags. It has no theme really and goes over backstage lots basically.
I get what you're saying, but 99% of people visiting the park do not care about these type of things. If Disney were to plop an unthemed, exposed steel coaster in the middle of Future World, it would absolutely be the most popular ride in the park.

Zweiland

The fundamental reason people (mainly "pixie dusters") don't like exposed coasters such as the Hulk is that you are in a themed environment, and you can visibly tell that what sits before you is a roller coaster, not a "particle accelerator" or whatever the Hulk coaster is supposed to be. My response to that is...

You're in a theme park! Unless you're delusional, you know it's not the real thing! If a roller coaster has even minimal theming to it, who cares if it doesn't look like something other than a roller coaster? That's to be expected in a "theme park".

I agree that the Hulk is a beautiful coaster. It has a solid theme (you just have to think a little more abstractly to get it), and that's all that matters in the end.
You can thank RandySavage for the concept, he posted it in his Ideal Buildout blog. I tend to love his ideas and concepts/layouts-
http://idealbuildout.blogspot.com/2012/04/mountain-for-potterland.html
I've seen the site. It really is amazing.

Last edited:

lebeau

the ride itself is a thrill, and somewhat fun until the end where it bangs your head! but yes....there is no denying its poorly themed to the hulk. Just give it up. because this is so beautiful to look at!
incredible-hulk.jpg

Ahhhh...gotta love those grey supports and green track. Gotta make sure I get my picture infront of that masterpiece! :rolleyes:

Your picture does not support the point I think you were trying to make. It actually looks really good. Definitely looks like something out of a Hulk comic book.

Thanks. You have given me another layer of respect for the design.

ctxak98

Your picture does not support the point I think you were trying to make. It actually looks really good. Definitely looks like something out of a Hulk comic book.

Thanks. You have given me another layer of respect for the design.
the hulk comic books have rollercoasters!? never knew that!

luv

If Disney ever adds an awesome coaster, many of the people who think Uni is horrible for doing it will praise Disney's genius.

Don't know if Disney can afford it after all the money they've spent on wristbands, but that door coaster at DHS is still my fondest hope for WDW.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
whatever, I guess some people like the look of exposed track like its and art piece. I think its ugly so I will stick by my opinion. its green and hideous!
Nah. Blackpool Pleasure Beach is hideous. Hulk is.... gracefully visible. IMHO.

But talk about thread drifting. What happened to DHS? Carsland? Star Wars? Avland? Imagination? Rocketing budgets and promises that are unobtainable? You know, the fun stuff?

lebeau

the hulk comic books have rollercoasters!? never knew that!

I'm sure they do. The Hulk has been in publication a long time. But they are definitely filled with:

1. Twisted metal
2. Things that are green
3. Things that look vaguely sciency

Getting more abstract, the coaster kind of resembles the Hulk himself. Or maybe the wreckage after a fight with the military. Or one of the sciency experiments that fill Marvel comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom