Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctornick

The thing that I think you're missing though is that there's a huge segment of the family that Disney is somewhat falling behind with. If Disney didn't want the "thrill-ride seekers", then there wouldn't be rides like Everest, Tower Of Terror, Space Mountain, or Rockin' Roller Coaster.

Disney (TDO especially) has just fallen behind in SO many demographics, that they've simply had to make a choice on which ones to go after first. Everest was WDW's most recent large expansion, so it only makes sense that the latest additions have been more for families (TSMM, FLE).

Now that they've addressed families, they're swinging back to the thrills (Everest, SW). I don't know what makes you think Disney doesn't want that demographic. They are in the amusement park business and thrill rides are a major part of that - just as they are a major part of WDW. There just aren't enough of them, IMHO.

I don't see how you get this from my post. My point is that Disney never has competed in the "thrill ride" market with your Six Flag, Cedar Farms, etc type amusement park. The reality is that to compete with them for those demographics would require building completely different rides and sacrifice story/ambiance for thrills. While Disney has some exposed track coasters, they are mostly small options and don't disrupt the theming much (something like California Screamin' helps to build a sense of "place" actually).

The "coasters" that Disney has are pretty much mild, "family coasters" with relatively low height restrictions. Outside of RNR, none of them would elicit a yawn in a typical coaster park. They are Disney's way of offering some thrills while keeping in with the overall spirit of the parks. I applaud them for that and would like to see more such rides. But I don't think you'l ever have some crazy X2 type roller coaster at a Disney Park and I don't think there's much point in them even considering doing that. I mean, my 4 year old has been on BTMM and Space Mt (in Cali) and he's short for his age; I'm sorry, but they just aren't remotely in the same class as typical thrill rides in a coaster park.

I don't think Disney is deliberately ignoring any demographic. I think they would love to have teens and young adults come to their parks. They just hope to draw them in with theming, engaging ride experiences and yes, some mild thrilled but I don't expect them to branch out into the latest and most intense coaster types to do it.

Disneyhead'71

No one is saying that Disney needs to build the next X2. But I am not a toddler, my kids aren't toddlers, and if Disney wants us to visit their resort they need to pony up some "NEW" attractions that aren't aimed at toddlers. They have built exactly one (1) new attraction that isn't aimed at toddlers since 1999.

luv

Uni's use of screens is better than Disney's. The screens are part of an overall ride experience, not just something to baby-sit us as we sit there. We are engaged in Uni's rides. We are having an experience, not just passing a screen on which something is shown. It's a big difference.

I wouldn't mind a new, animatronic-filled, dark ride at Uni. I also wouldnt mind a ride that goes round-and-round, like most amusement parks have...those are fun, too...but I have a hard time faulting them for putting in big, amazing stuff.

It just seems odd to say, "Hey, stop with all this big, cool stuff!"

stevehousse

Not really. The portholes don't use parallax glassesless 3D monitors. The Hogwarts Express will be the first ever use of the projection technology.

And Gringott's will use 3D Musion creating the closest thing to an actual hologram available.

Yes that's why I said " another form" of them. Better tech yes, but its essentially the same idea behind both...

PhotoDave219

First of all, the motion blur on Forbidden Journey was intentional to ease the motion sickness problems. They have since changed the projectors and have brand new animation that doesn't have the motion blur (it is crisp HD now) and they have toned down the ride profile. And Disney has their own screen based "Project Vomit" that is far worse at making people sick than Forbidden Journey.

And I agree that Universal is NOT without it's faults, but I don't believe that screens are a major fault. Screens are their schtick. Just like AAs are Disney's. One of Universal's biggest issues is that a lot of the counter service restaurants are pretty bad. But they do have Thunder Falls, Burger Diggs, Three Broomsticks, Cafe La Bamba, and now Fast Food Blvd. So they are working on it. And Universal has some rather outdated attractions like Twister.

Its an interesting contrast of how Universal can do some fantastic food like Mythos yet their quick services places are some of the worst I've ever eaten.

Ive ridden FJ since the changes and IMO its gotten worse.

crispy

A drink-n-drive-through... brilliant!

Rollin down the Epcot parking lot... smokin indo... sippin' on gin and juice
LAID BACK!!!

Sounds like drink-n-drive-through daiquiri stands that are everywhere in New Orleans. Lord, I hope we didn't just give them an idea - an ECV drive through at the F & W kiosks.

luv

Not everyone who attends F&W is a drunk. Of course not. But there are PLENTY of drunks to be found there during F&W, no doubt about it.

ctxak98

Its an interesting contrast of how Universal can do some fantastic food like Mythos yet their quick services places are some of the worst I've ever eaten.

I can agree with you! While I love the walkthrough of the castle and what not, The ride still doesn't seem that great to me! A lot of people bash Dinosaur for being not as good as Indy, due to it not having as much detail...but have you seen FJ with the lights on!? Its worse! Its all forced perspective though!

Anyways I still think Disney and Uni have there flaws. Some that come to mind for Disney:
-broken effects (in many attractions)
-outdated attractions
-Future World
-too much Pixar outside of Pixar place
-not enough rides at Hollywood studios and AK and many more I can go on and on
- not enough thrills or rides for teens and young adults
-lame expansions

Some thoughts on Universal:
-Harry potter lame effects (spiders don't move at all, dementors are on sticks)
-hogsmeade is a little crammed
-JPRA has outdated AA dinos
-All rollercoasters are outside (very six flags)
-Poseidon is outdated along with some other attractions
-twister is a huge hype and then a huge let down(I would rather actually get in a vehicle and chase tornados!)
-they ripped out jaws (it just needed a re-do/ such a great movie to have a ride based on!)

Both have there problems! I just want to see them fixed!

Disneyhead'71

Circus McGurkus and Comic Stip Cafe stick out as the worst park food I have ever had at a top tier park. But I have to say, Universal is REALLY trying hard to kick up some of the Counter Service options. Bumblebeeman's Taco Truck is offering some pretty unique counter service. Fish Tacos, Korean Beef Tacos, and your regular Carne Asada Tacos. Cafe La Bamba has Chimichurri Skirt Steak with Caramelized Onions, Mojo Roasted Chicken, and Chipotle BBQ Ribs. They just added Kabobs, Hummus, and Greek Salad to the Coke Freestyle stand in The Lost Continent. And Thunder Falls holds it's own compared to Flame Tree.

I honestly think that for a long time, Universal was using crappy counter service to up sell guests to the table service options. What I am finding is that now, the better counter Service options are coming close to the table services in price so that they don't need to push towards table service. Like the Chimmichurri Skirt Steak is $14.99. 2 more bucks gets you the Filet at Mythos.

fosse76

I never said it did not make them rides nor a lesser experience.

I said its a valid criticism to say that Universal is relying heavily on video projection technology in lieu of other methods of show presentation.

Disney relies on them even more.

I used "incidental" to decsribe attractions that use projections/screens sparingly and to further enhance the experience, but which the attractions didn't necessarily need to have projections for success. These attractions could mostly still work without the screens/projections with some modifications.

I used "fundamental" to describe the attractions that could not exist without the screens and projections, because the experience would not exist without them and/or their entire purpose is based on a projection.

As you can see, Disney relies on projections to a much greater extent.

Screen-based Attractions at Universal:
The Amazing Spider-Man - incidental bordering on Fundamental
The Forbidden Journey - Incidental
Poseidon's Fury - Fundamental
Shrek 4-D - Fundamental
Transformers - Incidental - Fundamental
Terminator 3D - Fundamental
The Simpsons Ride - Fundamental
Despicable Me - Fundamental
Disaster - Fundamental

Screen-Based Attractions at Disney:
Soarin' - Fundamental
MuppetVision 3D - Fundamental
Mickey's Philharmagic - Fundamental
Toy Story Midway Mania - Fundamental
Ellen's Energy Adventure - Fundamental
Mission:Space - Fundamental
Star Tours - Fundamental
American Adventure - Fundamental
It's Tough to Be a Bug - Fundamental
Captain Eo - Fundamental
Hall of Presidents - Incidental bordering on Fundamental
Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor - Fundamental
The Circle of Life - Fundamental
Gran Fiesta Tour - Incidental
Impressions de France - Fundamental
O Canada! - Fundamental
Reflections of China - Fundamental
Turtle Talk with Crush - Fundamental
The Spirit of Norway - Fundamental
The Seas with Nemo and Friends - Incidental

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

Isn't more of a classic dark ride that happens to use roller coaster track as a ride system with some screens?
Also, will FJ get a through refurb in the future once Gringotts opens?
You are pretty much dead on about Gringott's.

And they are continually working on Forbidden Journey. They have made some significant changes in the last month.

PhotoDave219

Its isn't valid im afraid since Transformers is nothing like a carbon copy of Spider-Man. But I'll be the first to laugh at glasses alley. Roll on Shreks replacement.

I disagree. I said nothing about Spidey vs Transformers. I'm talking about Uni's love of video projection screens and saying that its a valid to criticize them for that.

PhotoDave219

Disney relies on them even more.

I used "incidental" to decsribe attractions that use prejections/screens sparingly and to further enhance the experience, but which the attractions didn't necessarily need to have projections for success. These attractions could mostly still work without the screens/projections with some modifications.

I used "fundamental" to describe the attractions that could not exist with screens and projections, because the experience would not exist without them and/or their entire purpose is based on a projection.

As you can see, Disney relies on projections to a much greater extent.

Screen-based Attractions at Universal:
The Amazing Spider-Man - incidental bordering on Fundamental
The Forbidden Journey - Incidental
Poseidon's Fury - Fundamental
Shrek 4-D - Fundamental
Transformers - Incidental - Fundamental
Terminator 3D - Fundamental
The Simpsons Ride - Fundamental
Despicable Me - Fundamental
Disaster - Fundamental

Screen-Based Attractions at Disney:
Soarin' - Fundamental
MuppetVision 3D - Fundamental
Mickey's Philharmagic - Fundamental
Toy Story Midway Mania - Fundamental
Ellen's Energy Adventure - Fundamental
Mission:Space - Fundamental
Star Tours - Fundamental
It's Tough to Be a Bug - Fundamental
Captain Eo - Fundamental
Hall of Presidents - Incidental bordering on Fundamental
Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor - Fundamental
The Circle of Life - Fundamental
Gran Fiesta Tour - Incidental
Impressions de France - Fundamental
O Canada! - Fundamental
Reflections of China - Fundamental
Turtle Talk with Crush - Fundamental
The Spirit of Norway - Fundamental
The Seas with Nemo and Friends - Incidental

I'm just curious here, what am I allowed to criticize?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom