Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

fosse76

According to the websites of the two official domestic Disney Resorts, Fantasyland in Walt Disney World has 12 attractions:
  1. it's a small world
  2. Peter Pan's Flight
  3. Mickey's PhilharMagic
  4. Prince Charming Regal Carrousel
  5. Cinderella Castle
  6. Enchanted Tales with Belle
  7. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
  8. Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid
  9. Mad Tea Party
  10. Dumbo the Flying Elephant
  11. Casey Jr. Splash & Soak Station
  12. The Barnstormer
While Fantasyland in Disneyland has 13 attractions:
  1. Casey, Jr. Circus Train
  2. Dumbo the Flying Elephant
  3. King Arthur Carrousel
  4. Pinnochio's Daring Journey
  5. Snow White's Scary Adventures
  6. Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough
  7. Peter Pan's Flight
  8. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
  9. Mad Tea Party
  10. Alice in Wonderland
  11. Storybook Land Canal Boats
  12. Matterhorn Bobsleds
  13. it's a small world
It's not the "huge difference" you're all making it out to be, and in 2014 they'll be the same...

All of Disneyland's attractions are rides (+ 1 walkthrough, which IS and attraction of sorts). Cinderella Castle is just scenery at WDW, and its ridiculous that Casey Jr. Splash & Soke is considered an attraction.

PhotoDave219

I like how the apparent assumption that all the people who drink at Food & Wine are "drunks" supports my earlier assertion that the fanbois who frequent Disney hotels have a different ... world view ... than guests at say, Hard Rock or the JW.

Also, "E-ticket" is a subjective adjective at this point. The only true E-tickets are those rides that, back in the 1970s, actually collected E-tickets to ride. Everything else is arguing over how many angels can dance on the head of a pin (or how many "real" attractions WDW has).

Well, I like the assertation that the fanboiz who assume that just arent old enough to drink....

stevehousse

I see Sea World and Busch Gardens are offering $50 weekday tickets now. No way Disney or UNI would do the same, but interesting none the less.

That's a great deal! I see that as a way to entice people into the parks since school is back in session in a few weeks when crowds are very light at all the FL parks...

Funmeister

@WDW1974 What was the defining moment or the "light bulb" moment when you realized the fundamentals of WDW and UNI were completely different? I know we have seen signs over the past years of decline and improvement but I wonder what was the straw that broke the camels back?

Like I said I know the signs have been there for years and has grown to what it is today. What event took place to warrant this new thread? I am intrigued.

Animaniac93-98

Also saw this gem of a comment over at OTPN:

"Universal just puts a movie screens. Furthermore they already had the specs done for transformers becasue its a carbon copy on spiderman. It would take universal a lot longer to build rides if they were actually building rides. Not movie screens."

The only question is, what facepalm picture to use?

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I see Sea World and Busch Gardens are offering $50 weekday tickets now. No way Disney or UNI would do the same, but interesting none the less.

When they know they are headed into a light crowd time of year they do this to keep the attendance up. $50 vs $70something to get them in there, eat, and shop is worth it to get heads in there and sell Pasta/Pizza/Beef/Sandwiches.

PhotoDave219

Also saw this gem of a comment over at OTPN:

"Universal just puts a movie screens. Furthermore they already had the specs done for transformers becasue its a carbon copy on spiderman. It would take universal a lot longer to build rides if they were actually building rides. Not movie screens."

The only question is, what facepalm picture to use?

That's a valid point. Most of their rides/attractions use video projection over animatronics.

CDavid

Since when The Great Movie Ride, Kilimanjaro Safaris, and Spaceship Earth are no longer E-Tickets? I didn't know they were downgraded. That makes me really sad, especially since "it's a small world" was included instead of those three.

No Living with the Land or American Adventure either. I'm curious about the criteria which excluded them (though appreciation to TP2000 for compiling these lists).

Goofyernmost

Wish they would move the F&W to the Boardwalk. Maybe spread it out all across that lake. Then add a little nightime entertainment on the shore and the lake itself.

Let EPCOT remain a theme park, and a family one too! (And the world's most majestic and dignified at that, as it once was...)
Except that they don't charge park admission at Boardwalk. Think of the lost revenue on that one.

lazyboy97o

My point is that some people act like these treats are the holy grail of snack food. They act like they have never had a brownie or a soft serve ice cream before. And maybe they haven't. But whatever your favorite Disney treat is, there is something similar at just about any tourist spot you might choose to vacation at.
I think this gets into this notion of people who only ever vacation at a Disney property. A lot of the time I get the impression that a good number of people think many of these treats are exclusive to Disney. Because they do not go to other tourist places they are never exposed to other turkey legs, corn dogs, churros, etc.

Sue_Vongello

You're missing the point.

It's a valid criticism of Universal that they heavily rely on video projection for show scenes over animatronics or other technologies and show presentation.

True ... but if Disney announced four new attractions, all screen based on the same level as Transformers or Harry Potter or spider-Man, I'd be thrilled beyond belief ... because they have nothing that is on par with those currently and it means they are finally building something ... you know?

Animaniac93-98

You're missing the point.

It's a valid criticism of Universal that they heavily rely on video projection for show scenes over animatronics or other technologies and show presentation.

But does that not make them rides or lesser experiences? Little Mermaid may have more set pieces and animated figures than Transformers, but that does not make for a better experience. Nor does relying on screen based tech change the fact that they are still rides by definition.

"If they were actually building rides" what kind of statement is that? Making that kind of comment reeks of bias and frankly, ignorance. As if Disney over the last decade has not taken a similar path, or that's a decent excuse for Disney's slow speed of construction.

PhotoDave219

True ... but if Disney announced four new attractions, all screen based on the same level as Transformers or Harry Potter or spider-Man, I'd be thrilled beyond belief ... because they have nothing that is on par with those currently and it means they are finally building something ... you know?

I totally get that. But I also feel that its a valid criticism to say that a large part of Universals attractions of late are dependent or soley based on video screen projection. It has its good points and bad points as with everything.

If we're going to be critical of Disney for the way they use and maintain their animatronics then we have every right to criticize how Universal uses and maintains video projection technology.

PhotoDave219

But does that not make them rides or lesser experiences? Little Mermaid may have more set pieces and animated figures than Transformers, but that does not make for a better experience. Nor does relying on screen based tech change the fact that they are still rides by definition.

"If they were actually building rides" what kind of statement is that? Making that kind of comment reeks of bias and frankly, ignorance. As if Disney over the last decade has not taken a similar path, or that's a decent excuse for Disney's slow speed of construction.

I never said it did not make them rides nor a lesser experience.

I said its a valid criticism to say that Universal is relying heavily on video projection technology in lieu of other methods of show presentation.

FigmentJedi

Does that make Transformers or Harry Potter any less of a "ride?" What about Disney with Soarin', Midway Mania Monsters Inc and Mission: SPACE?
Midway Mania and Mission Space are lesser rides in other aspects besides being projection based.

Toy Story's a screen-based ride you can literally experience at home via the Nintendo Wii Toy Story Mania (just play it in a spinny chair to simulate the ride and there you go) and Mission Space has fake interactivity and the story of it just being a training simulation is incredibly underwhelming in scope, particularly when you look at the original Space Pavilion plans that actually put you on a sweet space station. I don't want Disney to simulate a simulated trip to Mars, I just want to go to Mars and I would accept a "Lord of the Rings Eagles" plothole if the best Disney could come up with for an easy way to get you back to Florida was "teleportation".

Universal does a lot of screen-based stuff, but they at least bring in some physical aspects and they seem to be using EMVs a hell of a lot more then Disney has and that's nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom