Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

afar28

Disney Springs, new parade, MyMagic+, carsland, star wars land, avatarland, imagination, lots and lots of rumors.... I don't think Disney is just sitting back and drinking coffee at this point... I think they are planning their next move and trying to determine how best to schedule it in the future
The only problem with all those rumors is that they ARE rumors.
No dirt has been moved, no concept art, nothing. Avatarland has been announced 2 years ago. We haven't heard anything since. Universal has been building world class attractions for half a decade now, while Disney answers with only new fantasyland. New fantasyland didnt feature any E tickets or anything of major substance. While Uni is pulling off E tickets and driving up attendance. Parades and my magic+ won't boost attendance or be as exciting as new attractions

JimboJones123

I still think a Beastly Kingdomme would draw at least another million unique guests a year. You could have built 2 instead of next gen.

Disney Springs: Not enough to drive an increase in attendance...

New parade and MyMagic compared to massive e-tickets and well themed lands? No comparison who wins there...

Cars Land, Star Wars.. only rumors, nothing says they are 100% happening right now, and if they do, who knows how much they will cut out and value engineer the crap out of the lands, so much so it is again style over substance... But, we need to reserve judgment.. Cannot call something which hasn't even had construction started (nor green lit) answering the competition or a success/failure...

Avatar Land? Well, I believe that will wind up going the way of the dodo... Sounds like it will be a casualty of this mess called NGE...

And you claim lots and lots of rumors? Well, lots and lots of rumors do not come close to lots and lots of construction.. Which one theme park is doing tons of, the other is asleep at the wheel...

IHeartArt

Exactly.

Sorry, but this has become a very organic thread that grows with each post. I like it that way.

If one "needs" to catch up, this just may not be the thread for you. Seems to be okay with the massive number of posters that come frequent it.

I agree completely with this. This thread is one of the closest things, in my opinion, that the News, Rumors, and Current Events forum has to a general chat thread. It does a great service for the forum in that respect.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Did I say that? no... But you want to claim rumors as an answer to what Universal is doing, and no one in their right mind could ever make that argument, unless they were desperate cause they are losing that argument...

We can easily balance the equation by throwing in all the things that are rumored for Uni along with what they are actually building.

doctornick

I made a big mistake last night after concluding an important phone call with a friend in Europe by wading back here. This thread has become something I refuse to devote hours a day too. I'm sorry. I'm ignoring anything before page 27 and trying to focus on only topics of import. If you have questions, now might be the time to try and ask them.

I'll bite... Do you know anything about future night time entertainment for DAK? One site talked about "River of Light" with projections on the Tree of Life and a parade of floats on the water. There's also been talk of a World of Color type show with a dedicated theater. Some CMs have reported there being after hours testing of lasers and other effects.

Hear anything about this? Is there a time frame for adding any night time show to the park?

The Empress Lilly

Because it is going to lead to the implosion of the American movie industry as a whole and Disney Studios in particular? Yeah, the problem with TLR is the franchise is too old for Gen Y. Not that they threw a lot of money at a lousy script or that they keep putting the cart before the horse by picking a release date and then building a movie around it.
Yes. Who comes up with these franchises such as John Carter and Lone Ranger anyway? Guys who are 95 years old?

Seriously, get with the times already. Civil War heroes who can jump real far on Mars is 1930s cool.

doctornick

Too late for what? Do you actually believe that, if WDW adds decent attractions (as you've noted), all the millions of annual guests are going to flock down the I-4 to Universal? I doubt it. All that Universal is doing will bring them up to world class-finally.They still have a lot of work to do to provide the immersive experience that WDW typically provides. I'm sure that Uni's parks will fare well, but with regards to this "Too little, too late" suggestion, C'mon man.

Yeah I don't buy this. While I'm certain WDW will be losing an increasing number of guests to Universal in coming years, the idea that WDW is so far gone at this point that it is going to collapse seems... odd. I know there's a lot of griping on these pages about how Disney has slipped considerably, but there's nothing so bad that it couldn't be fixed with putting $1-2 billion in the parks -- actually in the parks -- and building a bunch of new attractions in upcoming years. If Disney actually did Avatarland and Star Wars and Cars Land and a quality Imagination redo adding some entertainment (new parade at DHS, night show at DAK, etc.) plus maybe had a few smaller attractions here and there, it would be fine and would stop the bleeding. Really. The problem is that TDO has done virtually nothing in the past 5 years and only a little before then.

I just hope/wish that Disney looks at the DCA makeover and recognizes that there's a good way to invest money in the parks. It would be easy to just follow that blueprint and apply it to WDW.

Last edited:
Actions speak louder than words...finished attractions speak louder than rumor mills

The negativity about Disney is a bit much. Universal has and is making huge investments and deserves the credit given here. But that's not a reason to hate on Disney. Disney just spent half a billion on New Fantasyland, Opened Art of Animation, began construction Disney Springs, has committed to building Avatarland, and likey will be making a large investment at the Studio.

It should be ok to applaud Universal without having to be so negative about Disney

PhotoDave219

The negativity about Disney is a bit much. Universal has and is making huge investments and deserves the credit given here. But that's not a reason to hate on Disney. Disney just spent half a billion on New Fantasyland, Opened Art of Animation, began construction Disney Springs, has committed to building Avatarland, and likey will be making a large investment at the Studio.

It should be ok to applaud Universal without having to be so negative about Disney

...... Or Disney could just, ya know, do more stuff than just trying to market us the same thing over and over again.

twebber55

i agree with this for the most part but it ticks me off that nex gen has this bloated budget and its partially delaying these large expansions...uni seems to be hitting all the right buttons

Captain Neo

@WDW1974 what on earth happened to that disneyland plan to replace innoventions and autopia with an Iron Man eticket? As recent as last month a reliable Insider on another disney site said it was still happening and soon. Did it completely go by the way side for a bigger SW tomorrowland overhaul? Speaking of which, Do you know any details of the project or is it just what Al Lutz mentioned of putting speeder bikes on a similar peoplemover track?

doctornick

i agree with this for the most part but it ticks me off that nex gen has this bloated budget and its partially delaying these large expansions...uni seems to be hitting all the right buttons
Yeah, I share the concern that NextGen is sucking up the available cash that could be going to attractions.

I hope that TDO and Burbank realize that investing directly in the parks is necessary and important to both prevent any guest loss (retention) and to entice new guests (growth). The lessen is obvious with DCA. Furthermore, they've been particularly paltry with investing in the parks in Florida in recent years, despite the FLE. I don't see how leadership at Disney could be so clueless that they don't see the value and necessity in building significant attractions in Florida in the near future.

articos

Is there any concept art or the like? I'd live to see it
Current concept art, no. Not until Uni releases it. I probably have old art from the initial planning of the expansion, though. The initial plan didn't have the hub there at all even, just a long elevated walk from a much smaller central hub. At that stage, there was a transit station beyond the garages towards Kirkman Road that connected to a rail or monorail line that skirted the outside of the property. That changed as the planning went on, and the central transit hub was added instead with the intent of running it down or alongside Universal Blvd. I'll see if I can dig up something from the original plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom