Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I know it isn't real Disney - but something I heard about OLC worried about the Osaka arrival of Mr.Potter - and the Japanese weird love of certain British things - that they might be upping investment on a shorter timescale for TDLR

Osaka isn't really competition for OLC because of the distance between them.

TDR is getting investment because that is how the OLC operates its parks.

asianway

I don't disagree with what you're saying, necessarily.

But really, did Disney ever really do lodging better than the big guys out there? I mean, really do it better? Sure, they have the parks and what not about it that probably add to the aura of the experience. But I would never say that the Grand Floridian, even back in its heyday, was a better experience than a 4 Seasons or Ritz Carlton or even lesser known boutique chains.

I'll ask though, what is UNI's intent or expectation with building Cabana Bay? (or whatever its called?)

I hope they succeed.
You are correct, but it was better than a Hampton Inn. And I dont think you can say it is anymore.

the.dreamfinder

-And finally do you have any info from inside the upper echelon at Uni ... I'd love to know (and love to have it publicly out there) if the Uni execs are laughing at Disney right now? What's their current state?
I'd love to hear what the execs at OLC are thinking. Provided they did not fall out of their chairs laughing when they heard NGE's budget is approaching TDS'

They BUILT this:
tokyo_disneysea.JPG

We get this:
disney-magic-band-elite-daily.jpg

and this
795968425.jpg

orky8

how do we know they have loaded 1 million riders... uh oh... data mining... they are collecting data... how dare they... we should boycott... I blame NextGen

For an IT person this shows a tremendous lack of understanding that 1 million people rode is not the same as knowing exactly who rode and when, what they did before and after, and who they did those activities with.

truecoat

Star Wars has been pushed to the front of the expansion plans for DL's T-land and TPFKaTD-MGMS's Extrem Makeovover. If the financial issues are dealt with in Paris, then I'd expect to see the same things wind up at DLP as well. Nothing has changed on the plans or the like ... asking the saem question over and over isn't going to make this get done faster. Nothing will open before 2016 at the earliest for any park, and you're most likely looking at the 2017-18 frame. Can we move beyond Star Wars?

Ok, let's talk Imagination Pavilion. It has been posted that it is closing in January but you have said that it might be up to 6 years before it is replaced? Can both of these be true?

lebeau

He isn't happy with the mess Rich Ross left him and he disagrees with Iger's strategy of releasing all very pricey tent pole fair.

I can't confirm, but have also been told he was not at all happy when Iger decided to stay on until 2016.

Because it is going to lead to the implosion of the American movie industry as a whole and Disney Studios in particular? Yeah, the problem with TLR is the franchise is too old for Gen Y. Not that they threw a lot of money at a lousy script or that they keep putting the cart before the horse by picking a release date and then building a movie around it.

WDWDad13

For an IT person this shows a tremendous lack of understanding that 1 million people rode is not the same as knowing exactly who rode and when, what they did before and after, and who they did those activities with.

so Disney knows who rides what IN THEIR PARK and what they purchase IN THEIR PARK and where they have been IN THEIR PARK and everyone freaks out.... yet everything we type right now is being collected and data mined and there's more news about how Disney is the devil and how dare they do that IN THEIR PARKS (which is optional once again btw)

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/31/nsa-top-secret-program-online-data

also, see the ad at the bottom of the screen... wonder how it got there.... it's not NextGen and Disney

Ignohippo

Well they're not getting 10% more in guest spending either so it doesn't matter. Growth can happen if spending happens. This has been proven without a doubt in the last 3 years.

Then what do you think the percentage is they hope to gain by NextGen? 10% is an enormous number. If they can't make at least 10%, the money was never there for NextGen to begin with – even at $1 billion.

HMF

He isn't happy with the mess Rich Ross left him and he disagrees with Iger's strategy of releasing all very pricey tent pole fair.

I can't confirm, but have also been told he was not at all happy when Iger decided to stay on until 2016.
Anybody with two functioning brain cells could see this coming. Why Iger thought Rich Ross, a television guy could run a film studio is as crazy or the finance guys they have running the theme parks.

Ignohippo

Because it is going to lead to the implosion of the American movie industry as a whole and Disney Studios in particular? Yeah, the problem with TLR is the franchise is too old for Gen Y. Not that they threw a lot of money at a lousy script or that they keep putting the cart before the horse by picking a release date and then building a movie around it.

I don't agree that the franchise is too old. Any movie can succeed if done well (Pacific Rim not included - at least it may make it back internationally). From what I understand, and I'll find out on Saturday night, TLR wasn't very good.

lebeau

so Disney knows who rides what IN THEIR PARK and what they purchase IN THEIR PARK and where they have been IN THEIR PARK and everyone freaks out.... yet everything we type right now is being collected and data mined and there's more news about how Disney is the devil and how dare they do that IN THEIR PARKS (which is optional once again btw)

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/31/nsa-top-secret-program-online-data

also, see the ad at the bottom of the screen... wonder how it got there.... it's not NextGen and Disney

So because there are worse things in the world Disney data mining is okay?

So if someone punched you in the face, it would be okay because they could have punched you harder?

SirLink

Osaka isn't really competition for OLC because of the distance between them.

TDR is getting investment because that is how the OLC operates its parks.

Just something I heard about how previous plans in place were getting more money "'cos of What might happen ... when the Wizard descends on Japan". Like how Doc may be getting a ride in the OLC version of Cars Land and how the Grand Prix may not be long for this world.

the.dreamfinder

It's a shame too because Horn is quite good at making smaller budget single and doubles when he was in charge of Castle Rock Entertainment in late 80s/90s. I guess Iger really didn't understand why Horn was a good choice. He must have been too focused on his later involvement with Harry Potter, LotR, and the Dark Knight films.

Ignohippo

There's some crazy numbers floating around out there with regards to NextGen, the whole project once implemented probably costs around $1 billion . . . but that is for all Disney resorts worlwide, as well as some of the interesting stuf they've been working on for ride queues. Given that NextGen helps the resort save money via automation, (less time spent repairing/stocking FastPass machines, repairing hotel card entry), it has already increased spending at WDW and is being touted as a success. Development of the tech was probably $25 million, maybe less, and what WDW got probably costs around $175 million, maybe a bit more . . . so no need to get freaked out thinking they could have added tons of E-Tickets. Disney makes money, and saves on infrastructure, and it is a cool way to lure guests to the resort.

I'm all for new lands and attractions, but NextGen didn't steal money from this area of the company, and it will make the investment back . . .

Well, if Avatar is being delayed for it, it most certainly is holding up expansion at the theme parks. I'd bet nothing will happen for DHS for quite a while for the same reason.

lebeau

I don't agree that the franchise is too old. Any movie can succeed if done well (Pacific Rim not included - at least it may make it back internationally). From what I understand, and I'll find out on Saturday night, TLR wasn't very good.

Yeah, I don't agree either. But a couple days later, that was Disney's excuse.

Ignohippo

There is nothing wrong with New Fantasyland if it was built alongside the other additions that were needed in the other three parks. There were no other additions so it now has to serve the purpose of the Potter response... It didn't do that.

New Fantasyland would have been a million times better if it had included Circusland and included a redevelopment of the existing area as well. Instead we got walls. New nice version > the slums around it.

IMO, it's a failure (and don't give me this crap that it'll be better once the SWMT is finished). It simply isn't the all-encompassing end-all beat-all that it should have been.

Mr.Skunkape

Spirit,
With the new festival of the lion king theater being built in AK do you know if they are going to add anything else in that area or will the theater be just a stand alone building.

WDW1974

Original Poster
You know? Shockingly enough I'm with you on the epiphany ... I thought I wanted to hear about the bands, what may or may not be announced at D23, and/or news on SW/Avatar ... but honestly I just don't care.

What is really like to know is all about Universal?

-Are they really considering a monorail?

-Is this the current line up for the next few years ... HP/2014, JP/2015, KK/2016 ... and internally do they expect to keep the pace up for ... how long?

-Has the third gate at Uni gone an inch further since you last brought it up?

-What are their plans for Wet n Wild?

-Kidzone refurb? LotR?

-And finally do you have any info from inside the upper echelon at Uni ... I'd love to know (and love to have it publicly out there) if the Uni execs are laughing at Disney right now? What's their current state?

Let's see:

Yes on transport solutions, Yes on schedule except for Kong, which I still have no proof is happening. They expect to continue the pace at least thru 2020 when they will make a call on a possible additional expansion.
Don't think so on third gate. Demolish it and place something else there on Wet N Wild. MIdland willl totally be replaced and added to. No comment on LotR right now.

Comments to follow, more indepth and thought out, on UNI's exec team versus Disney and what they think about what's going down at The Timeshare Kingdom of the World.

Ignohippo

Yeah, I don't agree either. But a couple days later, that was Disney's excuse.

Same thing they did with John Carter. They should have stood ground on both films and just simply stated that they're good films and they have faith the audience will find them.

By throwing in the towel, they effectively killed both films prematurely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom