Universal came conquered and will wait another 15 years to go back!!!

JillC LI

I'm still befuddled as to why people can't just enjoy both instead of "my park is better than yours". Seriously, I enjoy Coke AND Pepsi. True story.....

Precisely. I think Uni is great, especially for Harry Potter fans (of which I am one) and for thrill ride lovers (of which I am not one). I would rather spend multiple days at Disney than at Uni, but that is my personal preference, not a denigration of Uni.

As for Coke and Pepsi, though, ain't no way you'll ever catch me drinkin' Pepsi!

kap91

Closest to what? Good theming?

I'm sorry, but Universal DOES get theming right. IOA's Port of Entry, Lost Continent, Seuss Landing, Marvel Super Hero Island and Jurassic Park are shining examples of some great theming. Then you go over to USF and you've got New York, Hollywood, Springfield, San Francisco and the soon-to-be London/Diagon Alley. They get more right thematic-wise than not.

And if you're talking about good attractions that are close to whatever you're referring to, Universal also has many more attractions that are "right". Men in Black: Alien Attack and Revenge of the Mummy immediately come to mind, along with a few others.

Theming, attractions, you name it. I think I was mainly focusing on attractions as a whole though. Like I said its subjective, and I've made the argument before elsewhere on the site so I'll try to keep it briefer this time. To me, Lost Continent was only ok when it was created but its not terribly appealing now that Poseidon's Fury has had most of its effects turned off and the rest of the land has pretty much become midway games with fancy roofs. Even when it was whole, an unthemed bare steel roller coaster does not good theming make. This is one of biggest complaints with Universal - a bare steel roller coaster - no matter how great the queue is not good storytelling, theming, or good anything really except a thrill. Port of entry is meh, seems like two stone buildings to me, and Marvel and Suess landing are nowhere near good examples of quality placemaking. Marvel literally is a bunch of flat cutouts and suessland is a concrete and stucco jungle. They both looks like areas of theme parks with structures decorated to resemble their properties rather than actually being in those places. And what exactly is that giant conspicuous concrete building in Jurassic Park? They didn't even do the courtesy of printing "Water Treatment Center" as they do in Hollywood.

As for the other park that's where my real complaints start rolling in. New York, Hollywood, and Springfield hardly are immersive or attractive for that matter. Central Park might be the nicest part of that area but it's surrounded by an animal show sans any theming, a san Franciscan lagoon, nest headquarters, and hollywood blvd. And I don't think the "it's a studio" argument works any more here than it does at DHS.But at least at DHS things are a bit more separated from each other and nice to look at.

As for attractions, the Mummy is nice - at least in the queue and the first show scenes but then it devolves. It's good and of course thrilling but I don't think its great. MIB might have been good when it first opened (although I never would have called it great) but I don't think maintenance has touched the ride since it opened. ET is the best ride that park has to offer (minus the first portion of the queue its generally excellent), but its one ride in a park of cluttered half-baked ideas. Don't get me started on Despicable me/jimmy neutron and shrek 4d.

You're going to disagree with most if not all what I said and thats fine. I'll be the first to point out the many flaws and problems Disney has, but I don't think Universal does much better often and I do think they do a lot worse most of the time.

kap91

I'm still befuddled as to why people can't just enjoy both instead of "my park is better than yours". Seriously, I enjoy Coke AND Pepsi. True story.....
I can certainly enjoy both but I disagree vehemently when people praise or criticize certain things I just don't see. I try to be fair to both parks and I think both do certain things better than the others. Just apparently different things than what others think.

And I can enjoy both Coke and Pepsi, but of course as everyone knows Coke tastes much better. :) Actually I'm more of a cream soda person personally.

mickeysbrother

Original Poster
Another useless Disney vs Universal debate thread because someone prefers Meet and Greets and Omnimovers over the FJ and Transformers.... To think I actually got to the second page. Btw sounds to me like you went in expecting things to not impress you. I call that Pixie paralyzation. Everyone has opinions and i respect that, you will never hear me pipe up if someone prefers NFL over Potter because thats there cup of tea. But to read this review where your literally picking apart everything shows me you never even gave it a chance and that I have no respect for. Even with me being on the Universal sidelines I'd be ecstatic if you don't come back for another 15 years. That way I don't have to read this nonsense again for many many moons.

Actually on the contrary dear sir! I went in expecting an amazing change from 15 years ago! From what everyone was amazed by and omg lack of a better term, I just didn't see what everyone was so flaburgasted about!

Yes everyone has there own opinion and I'm fine with that! That's what debates are for. But for eveyone to see awwww in universal I just don't see the comparison to Disney! 2 different park and Disney will keep getting my money!

My dw said the same thing! And she has been to Disney only 2 times! Yes we were amazed by the details in potter land and they did an excellent job. Give credit where credit is due but just the whole picture is not the same as Disney! I would expect us people to have opinions but when 1 person who has been to Disney 2 times in their life and has picked Disney hands down shows you universal has a lot of catching up to do still! Let then keep throwing money in the pot and hey maybe in another 15 years they will be closer! Who knows what the future holds for either park!

Awhile back when Disney maintenance was falling apart I wanted to see for myself what all the complaining was about and you know what I found? Absolutely nothing that ruined or bothered me! Maybe because when I'm in Disney I don't try and nit pick at all the little things wrong with lightbulbs and cracks! Don't get me wrong I didn't nit pick at universal either. I just think they are more like a 6flags with some cooler rides and better ambiance that's about it

BryceM

Port of Entry is more than "two stone buildings"... I don't even see how this an argument. It just seems like trying hard not to admit that Port of Entry is great, so you dismiss it as two stone buildings. What the what? And Seuss Landing is a concrete and stucco jungle? You're judging the land by what it is made up of, and not the thematic details and the way it is presented? And yes, Marvel has "cut-outs", but it's supposed to resemble a 2D super hero comic book city. The architecture is what makes it, not the characters on the buildings. It does feel very "90s", but that is what I like about it. It definitely is not the strongest island at Islands of Adventure, though.

And it sounds like you haven't even stepped into New York at Universal Studios. The attention to detail is there, and it is strong. Much better than the vapid Streets of America at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

But you're right, it's all "opinion".

Last edited:

Turtle

Do you have to attack everything I post? There's a bias here because the site is WDW centric. Duh. My post about thinking Revenge of the Mummy and Despicable Me is not bias because it is an opinion. How would I be biased for thinking Revenge of the Mummy is a good attraction? You're basically saying that because I like Universal, I have a bias, and therefore like Revenge of the Mummy. That is not true, because I recognize it as a strong attraction, whether I like Universal or not.
#1. I wasn't attacking your post. I was joking around hence the Winky face, cause you said it was "just an opinion".

BryceM

#1. I wasn't attacking your post. I was joking around hence the Winky face, cause you said it was "just an opinion".
Oh, I took the winks face in a different manner. I think we should have two types of winky faces on these boards... Haha.

I apologize for getting angry.

kap91

Port of Entry is more than "two stone buildings"... I don't even see how this an argument. It just seems like trying hard not to admit that Port of Entry is great, so you dismiss it as two stone buildings. What the what? And Seuss Landing is a concrete and stucco jungle? You're judging the land by what it is made up of, and not the thematic details and the way it is presented? And yes, Marvel has "cut-outs", but it's supposed to resemble a 2D super hero comic book city. The architecture is what makes it, not the characters on the buildings. It does feel very "90s", but that is what I like about it.

And it sounds like you haven't even stepped into New York at Universal Studios. The attention to detail is there, and it is strong. Much better than the vapid Streets of America at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

There's more than two stone buildings but I don't see anything that makes me want to stay and look around. Certainly nothing as immersive as say Africa in AK or say an World Showcase pavilion or even the Wizarding world for that matter.

And I'm sorry. Nothing in Suessland looks remotely like what I read the Dr. Suess books as a kid - or rather it looks like they took the most recognizable elements from the books (like the cat's hat) and just made giant versions of them out of concrete rather than try to create the world of Suess. It looks like a theme park. Sure there are barely any straight lines anywhere but it hardly looks anything like Whoville for example. It doesn't feel like a real place in the way that most disney lands or the WWOHP do. I would make this same argument for Marvel, Toon Lagoon, and the Lost Continent.

"Supposed to resemble a 2d super hero comic book city" sounds like the same logic people use when they say Dinorama is a good example of theming - "but's its supposed to look like a tacky roadside carnival"

I was thinking you were talking about the New York Central Parkish area over by ET - (I'm not actually sure what that area is come to think of it - there are signs referencing the park authority - and I always assumed it was Central Park - certainly doesn't look like Griffith park, but why would it be right next to the Hollywood section of the park?). The back alley sets over by the Mummy are indeed much better than anything the Streets of America has to offer. The streets of America will hopefully be bulldozed and turned into Monstropolis one day (in my world) - as they stand now though the closest alternative would be the main thoroughfare or hollywood blvd of Universal in which case I'd take the SoA any day.

Skip

While I completely disagree with @kap91 's condemnations of Universal's theming - I find a grand majority of the Studios and Islands theming/placemaking/immersiveness to be spectacular and often ahead of Disney - I will concede he is pretty spot on with the sight lines and the sometimes subpar storytelling. Show buildings are pretty brazen at Universal to the point of annoyance - Disney has problems with this too, but that doesn't excuse either park. Both should make a better effort to hide the backstage areas. (I don't think Simpsons is too bad, but Harry Potter's building is supremely annoying.)

The storytelling issues he's referring to can most obviously be seen in Revenge of the Mummy and Harry Potter & The Forbidden Journey. I don't have an issue with the storytelling seen in The Simpsons Ride, Despicable Me, or Transformers - so it's not necessarily a consistent problem. Many of the stories in Universal are told very competently and well... see ET, Popeye, Spider-Man, Jurassic Park, Cat in the Hat, Disaster!, Men in Black... but Forbidden Journey/Revenge of the Mummy really make no logical or coherent sense to the point where it's distracting and bizarre.

kap91

I apologize if its coming off that harsh. I don't want to condemn the theming at Universal -its alright, certainly better than what six flags, knotts, or seaworld/busch gardens is able to pull off - I just don't see why it seemingly gets so much praise. especially when compared to Disney.

SirLink

Actually on the contrary dear sir! I went in expecting an amazing change from 15 years ago! From what everyone was amazed by and omg lack of a better term, I just didn't see what everyone was so flaburgasted about!

Yes everyone has there own opinion and I'm fine with that! That's what debates are for. But for eveyone to see awwww in universal I just don't see the comparison to Disney! 2 different park and Disney will keep getting my money!

My dw said the same thing! And she has been to Disney only 2 times! Yes we were amazed by the details in potter land and they did an excellent job. Give credit where credit is due but just the whole picture is not the same as Disney! I would expect us people to have opinions but when 1 person who has been to Disney 2 times in their life and has picked Disney hands down shows you universal has a lot of catching up to do still! Let then keep throwing money in the pot and hey maybe in another 15 years they will be closer! Who knows what the future holds for either park!

Awhile back when Disney maintenance was falling apart I wanted to see for myself what all the complaining was about and you know what I found? Absolutely nothing that ruined or bothered me! Maybe because when I'm in Disney I don't try and nit pick at all the little things wrong with lightbulbs and cracks! Don't get me wrong I didn't nit pick at universal either. I just think they are more like a 6flags with some cooler rides and better ambiance that's about it

What?

Tonka's Skipper

So you're telling me that Disney never gets it wrong with their themes? I guess that someone should tell that to whoever put Dinoland USA into place....

I never said never, you said they would have done a poor job with Potter, and I pointed out the many over the top theming in the parks and individual attractions, show that Disney would have done a excellent job with Potter.

misterID

This seems like the OP decided to make this more about not liking UNI and "DISNEYRULEZZZZZ WDW IZZZZ #1!!!!, UNI SUCKZZZ!!" than an actual trip report. I mean, every post he went out of his way to make this Disney vs. UNI. It's time people realize that dropping little compliments to UNI doesn't erase or mask the bias junior high trolling. Posting a trip report is one thing, going out of your way to make it a WDW vs UNI thread is another. Let's not drop our pants and compare theme parks now.

Last edited:

draybook

I think it comes down to this... Whether you are the HUGE Disney fanboy or the Huge Universal fanboy that is your personal opinion. But what it really comes down to the attendance #'s. The masses decide who is #1 and well while I have a love for both parks for different reasons. I have to say that Disney brings in more attendance year after year. So the masses agree that WDW is #1. They wouldn't keep coming if the parks wasn't great. Instead they would go to UNI and then UNI would be #1. The argument can be made that this park has better employees over that one, this park has better rides, food, etc.. but at the end of the day the overall experience is what keeps bringing people back to back and clearly Disney is winning in that arena since their attendance #'s squash UNI's.

So Uni can still be your personal favorite. but you have to come to terms and accept the fact that to the WORLD. DISNEY STILL RULES! :)

Millions have bought Justin Beiber CD's but I'm not ready to crown him the next Elvis yet.......

BryceM

I was thinking you were talking about the New York Central Parkish area over by ET - (I'm not actually sure what that area is come to think of it - there are signs referencing the park authority - and I always assumed it was Central Park - certainly doesn't look like Griffith park, but why would it be right next to the Hollywood section of the park?).
There is no Central Park near E.T. Adventure. You're thinking of the Garden of Allah Villas, which is a real place in Hollywood. The Garden of Allah Villas in Universal Studios also has a nice quick service location; Cafe La Bamba.

There is a sort of "Central Park" area in Universal Studios, and that is rightfully in New York.

danpam1024

Disney is a ghost of generations past. I have been going since I was 11 months, I have taken my son since he was 6 months. We went there when I was little because that's all there was. I continued to go for the nostalgia, "magic", and the security of knowing that I would have a fantastic experience. Universal has become that for my son and THIS generation of kids- their definition of "magic" is more adventurous. Disney just doesn't appeal to them- it is outdated. Universal is what they watch on TV, in the movies and what they read in their favorite books come to life- frankly all Disney has produced in the past several years is garbage or princess crap (with the exception of MU).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom