Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdwfan4ver

Just about everything inside DHS that is not Rockin Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, and Toy Story does not have much of a future.

I disagree to a point because there is 4 attractions that are staying that you didn't mention. I don't know why you didn't mention Star Tours: The Adventure Continues as an attraction that is staying. Star Tours: The Adventure continues opened up in 2011 at DHS as an update of the original Star Tours.

WDW1974 already mentioned Muppetvision isn't going anywhere. The other thing with Muppets is Disney is trying revive that franchise. The 2011 Muppet Film made a profit matter of fact at the box office and a sequel is going to be released next year.

The Great Movie Ride and One Man's Dream has a future in DHS. The only thing The Great Movie Ride needs is an update.

One Man's Dream is an overlooked attraction, but the nature of the attraction needs to stay. The attraction has upcoming stuffing in Disney theme parks world world besides having stuff related to Walt Disney. The only thing One Man's dream needs is an update once in a while, so the theme park part on models, etc. are of current projects under construction.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I disagree to a point because there is 3 attractions that are staying. WDW1974 already mentioned Muppetvision isn't going anywhere. The other thing with Muppets is Disney is trying revive that franchise. The 2011 Muppet Film made a profit matter of fact at the box office and a sequel is going to be released next year.

The Great Movie Ride and One Man's Dream has a future in DHS. The only thing The Great Movie Ride needs is an update.

One Man's Dream is an overlooked attraction, but the nature of the attraction needs to stay. The attractions has upcoming stuffing in Disney theme parks world world besides having stuff related to Walt Disney. The only thing One Man's dream needs is an update once in a while, so the theme park part on models, etc. are of current projects under construction.
You can add to that list Star Tours...for obvious reasons.

articos

Universal has announced a play area themed to Super Silly Fun Land from the film Despicable Me will go adjacent to Minion Mayhem, which is expected to open sometime next year at Universal Studios Hollywood. The new "land" will include a water area, a dry area and a ride that will "soar and spin guests aboard a fleet of imaginative ride vehicles for a view of Super Silly Fun Land." It will be interesting to see USH's attendance after this.

Super Silly Fun Land:

SuperSillyFunLandsnip.png

http://www.heraldonline.com/2013/06/11/4938019/universal-studios-hollywood-announces.html

USH is quietly in the midst of quite a bit of work at the moment, not only DM and SSFL, but several other areas as well. I don't know that DM/SSFL will have any more of an impact than say, Transformers opening, but I think when all is done, plus CityWalk's renewal/expansion, USH will be a very different destination. And then when Potter opens, all bets are off.

lazyboy97o

Universal has announced a play area themed to Super Silly Fun Land from the film Despicable Me will go adjacent to Minion Mayhem, which is expected to open sometime next year at Universal Studios Hollywood. The new "land" will include a water area, a dry area and a ride that will "soar and spin guests aboard a fleet of imaginative ride vehicles for a view of Super Silly Fun Land." It will be interesting to see USH's attendance after this.

Not keen on another celebration of the amusement park in a themed experience.

pheneix

What's been greenlit?

The consolidated version of the rumors going around (I hesitate to post what the rides are as gospel truth as I tend to see more financial and operational related info regarding WDW) include a value engineered version of RSR and a second major E-ticket level attraction around the Star Wars properties.

The "Muppets are closing" bit grows from a proposal to replace the theater with a version of the super charged Jedi training academy show going into Captain EO at DLRP (again, someone with stronger creative credentials can clean that up if need be. All I really know conclusively is that DLRP is dumping Captain EO for a Star Wars themed show and the same plans are in motion for DHS to do the same thing for Muppets).

It goes without saying that Backlot Tour, LMA, the playground, and Streets of America are all completely toast with the Cars Land component.

There is also a substantial amount of retail and dining involved with this overhaul. How all those chips fall on the board really depends on how much of the existing DHS infrastructure they want to keep. I don't think they plan on keeping much.

The reason I said this won't compete with Universal is because Disney drinking the same "multi-year build out" Kool-Aid for this project as they have been for Avatar. It will be great to see DHS and DAK both pulling their own weight by 2018, but by then New Fantasyland will be old hat and Epcot is going to be a dinosaur (a new ride film for Soarin? BOOK THE TRIP NOW!. Seesh) so by then Disney is just going to be re-acquainting its guests with the two parks they have been skipping for the past several years while they go to Universal. They will not be spending as much time at MK or Epcot in a captive one week "Disney-only" vacation. Those days are over and they are never coming back.

pheneix

USH is quietly in the midst of quite a bit of work at the moment, not only DM and SSFL, but several other areas as well. I don't know that DM/SSFL will have any more of an impact than say, Transformers opening, but I think when all is done, plus CityWalk's renewal/expansion, USH will be a very different destination. And then when Potter opens, all bets are off.

Conveniently, all of USH's new content will also be coming online at a time when Disney will be looking to "reap the returns of its investment" in Anaheim. They should have quite a bit of fun at Disney's expense in 2016.

Californian Elitist

I tried reading all of the Evolution Plan but I wasn't successful. Seems like a lot is going on.

doctornick

The "Muppets are closing" bit grows from a proposal to replace the theater with a version of the super charged Jedi training academy show going into Captain EO at DLRP (again, someone with stronger creative credentials can clean that up if need be. All I really know conclusively is that DLRP is dumping Captain EO for a Star Wars themed show and the same plans are in motion for DHS to do the same thing for Muppets).

By why would they use the Muppets theater when they have an empty one from Sounds Dangerous sitting there in a perfect location? I'm sure an indoor Jedi Academy is on the table (and replacing EO in DLR makes sense) but I don't see the value in taking away a decent and perfectly functional attraction in the Muppets for it when other space is there. Replacing American Idol makes more sense because there's going to be a limit on how much longer that can last anyway.

It goes without saying that Backlot Tour, LMA, the playground, and Streets of America are all completely toast with the Cars Land component.

Depends on the size of Cars Land, but the space involved with LMA/Backlot is plenty to copy what exists in DCA. There's no need to get ride of the SOA for Cars Land/Pixar unless they, well, want to get ride of SOA.

pheneix

I disagree to a point because there is 4 attractions that are staying that you didn't mention. I don't know why you didn't mention Star Tours: The Adventure Continues as an attraction that is staying. Star Tours: The Adventure continues opened up in 2011 at DHS as an update of the original Star Tours.

WDW1974 already mentioned Muppetvision isn't going anywhere. The other thing with Muppets is Disney is trying revive that franchise. The 2011 Muppet Film made a profit matter of fact at the box office and a sequel is going to be released next year.

One Man's Dream is an overlooked attraction, but the nature of the attraction needs to stay. The attraction has upcoming stuffing in Disney theme parks world world besides having stuff related to Walt Disney. The only thing One Man's dream needs is an update once in a while, so the theme park part on models, etc. are of current projects under construction.

Dude, it goes without saying that Star Tours 2 will not close in the midst of all this refurb work. Which is why I forgot to say it. ;)

Disney doesn't give a rip about the Muppets in their theme parks. While I am prone to stand by articos on rumors I have seen hard evidence with my own eyes that says this 3D movie is not long for this world. We shall see how this plays out.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The consolidated version of the rumors going around (I hesitate to post what the rides are as gospel truth as I tend to see more financial and operational related info regarding WDW) include a value engineered version of RSR and a second major E-ticket level attraction around the Star Wars properties.

There is also a substantial amount of retail and dining involved with this overhaul. How all those chips fall on the board really depends on how much of the existing DHS infrastructure they want to keep. I don't think they plan on keeping much.

The reason I said this won't compete with Universal is because Disney drinking the same "multi-year build out" Kool-Aid for this project as they have been for Avatar. It will be great to see DHS and DAK both pulling their own weight by 2018, but by then New Fantasyland will be old hat and Epcot is going to be a dinosaur (a new ride film for Soarin? BOOK THE TRIP NOW!. Seesh) so by then Disney is just going to be re-acquainting its guests with the two parks they have been skipping for the past several years while they go to Universal. They will not be spending as much time at MK or Epcot in a captive one week "Disney-only" vacation. Those days are over and they are never coming back.

Interesting. I had heard most of that in various rumors before. I hadn't heard anyone say that Carsland would take up all of BLT, LMA, the playground and streets of America. That is a huge area. If the RSR ride is not a clone, but a value engineered version of the original why would they need to remove so much? I'm all for new attractions and rides, but if they remove half the existing stuff and replace it with essentially 2 new rides that doesn't help the "half day park" perception.

On the Universal topic, I'm not sure that Disney really wants to get into that fight. We all want it as fans, but they don't seem very eager to engage Universal in a theme park war. They seem content with the profits they are currently making and their magic bands project. Spreading the costs over years seems to be a conservative approach to growth. I have no idea how valid or not valid the TEA attendance numbers are. Unfortunately that is all we have since nobody releases the attendance numbers publicly. Keep in mind though that those same reports showed roughly 30% growth the previous 2 years at IOA. Were those numbers bogus as well?

ParentsOf4

I've bashed TWDC's business strategy in Orlando plenty of times but if they move forward full steam on both DAK and DHS fronts then, by 2018, the upcoming Universal expansions will be old hat.

Uni should enjoy a good 3-to-5 year run but until they have their own version of the Magic Kingdom, something that can compete with that 'magic', Uni is never going to be a serious threat to WDW's dominance in Orlando.

If (big if) WDW can pull off a mini miracle and actually make the expansions at DAK and DHS as fully immersive as Cars Land then, by 2019, Uni could be sucking wind once more.

twebber55

So, just connecting the dots here... if the Muppets are staying and Echo Lake is remaining and Star Wars expansion is happening... it would mean that they'd pretty much have to be expanding into backstage areas and/or the parking lot for Star Wars.
so do you guys think indy is going to be axed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom