Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

a2grafix

It was under the registration tab on their page.

http://www.rundisney.com/wine-and-dine-half-marathon/

Here is last years registration page, it was $155. These races seem to go up about $25 each year.

http://www.active.com/running/lake-buena-vista-fl/disney-wine-and-dine-half-marathon-2012

Thanks Mad. I did check the registration page earlier in the week. Guess my browser needed to dump the cache. I saw the prices over the weekend.

With both the Disneyland Half and Wine and Dine Half both priced $175 entry to start, will we see the 2014 runDisney half marathons up near $200 for entry? Glad I am running the half marathons this year. Something cool and challenging, but come 2014 I will challenge myself in other half marathon races around America.

a2grafix

My wife and I are trying to decide between the Wine and Dine or the ToT run. Any suggestions?

A few suggestions would be price - $135 for Tower and $175 for Wine and Wine. Can you run 3.1 extra miles? Tower starts outside Studios, runs out to Animal Kingdom parking lot, then back down to ESPN Sports complex and then into Studios park, ending in shadows of the Hollywood Tower Hotel.

Wine and Dine starts at ESPN Sports, runs out to and through Animal Kingdom Park, down to and through Studios Park, along the Boardwalk and/or outer loop to Yacht and Beach Club, and then into and finishing inside Epcot Center.

Tower - 1 park, a parking lot, and a sports complex for 10 miles, mostly on a darkened highway. Or .... Wine and Dine 3 parks and 1 sports complex and a darkened highway.

Xmen0002

I
A few suggestions would be price - $135 for Tower and $175 for Wine and Wine. Can you run 3.1 extra miles? Tower starts outside Studios, runs out to Animal Kingdom parking lot, then back down to ESPN Sports complex and then into Studios park, ending in shadows of the Hollywood Tower Hotel.

Wine and Dine starts at ESPN Sports, runs out to and through Animal Kingdom Park, down to and through Studios Park, along the Boardwalk and/or outer loop to Yacht and Beach Club, and then into and finishing inside Epcot Center.

Tower - 1 park, a parking lot, and a sports complex for 10 miles, mostly on a darkened highway. Or .... Wine and Dine 3 parks and 1 sports complex and a darkened highway.

The distance difference to me wasn't really the deciding factor. It's going to be our first Disney run and the big appeal for the Wine and Dine is running through the different parks. Just didn't know if there was another reason people may choose one over the other.

a2grafix

Xmen, I have only run in one runDisney road race and that was the 2012 Tower 10 miler. I'm a runDisney novice. I am looking forward to running in the 2013 Wine and Diner when registration opens.

As for what run is better, I don't know. I thought the Tower 10 miler was pretty cool. Me and 9,999 other runners. Looking forward to the Wine and Diner because it will likely be my only chance at the coast to coast medal.

Good luck on your and your wife's decision.

Runnin'Gator

My wife and I are trying to decide between the Wine and Dine or the ToT run. Any suggestions?
I've run both and I think the Wine and Dine is far better. The Tower of Terror may be better this year considering last year was the first time they had put it together as a 10 miler, but there were problems with heat and humidity and bag check at last year's run. Not to mention the changing tents were saunas.

a2grafix

Successfully entered the 2013 Wine and Dine Half. See you all Nov. 8-10 at Walt Disney World. After I finish I will have earned the coveted coast to coast medal. Disney thanks me as my wallet took a hit - $402 and some change for the W & D and Disneyland Half. Not complaining, looking so forward to it. Two runDisney half marathons in a little over 2 months.

val002

Question for all of you runDisney experts - estimation of when the wine and dine will sell out? 175$ is a little steep and I might need some extra time to save the money (heading to WDW in only 7 days is going to use all my "vacation" savings). I don't want to risk it and wait too long!!

SyracuseOrange

Question for all of you runDisney experts - estimation of when the wine and dine will sell out? 175$ is a little steep and I might need some extra time to save the money (heading to WDW in only 7 days is going to use all my "vacation" savings). I don't want to risk it and wait too long!!
I would also like to know this. I think I am going to commit to the WDW 2014 Marathon, and I'm toying with the idea of the 2013 W&D Half as a precursor. But I am not yet ready to commit.

Ariel484

I would also like to know this. I think I am going to commit to the WDW 2014 Marathon, and I'm toying with the idea of the 2013 W&D Half as a precursor. But I am not yet ready to commit.
Keep an eye on http://www.rundisney.com/wine-and-dine-half-marathon/. Once registration reaches 50% they will start posting how full the race is under the countdown. When it gets to 90-95% is when you really need to pull the trigger so you don't get shut out. But also keep in mind that if price is a concern you'll want to sign up earlier rather than later...the price jumps up $15 in June and then will jump up a second time in August.

@SyracuseOrange ...there's normally a Disney Visa discount link floating around for marathon weekend, so keep an eye out for that as well. :)

SyracuseOrange

Keep an eye on http://www.rundisney.com/wine-and-dine-half-marathon/. Once registration reaches 50% they will start posting how full the race is under the countdown. When it gets to 90-95% is when you really need to pull the trigger so you don't get shut out. But also keep in mind that if price is a concern you'll want to sign up earlier rather than later...the price jumps up $15 in June and then will jump up a second time in August.

@SyracuseOrange ...there's normally a Disney Visa discount link floating around for marathon weekend, so keep an eye out for that as well. :)
Thank you. I knew that they did % capacities, but I didn't see it this time so I thought maybe they cut that. (I didn't know they only started it at a certain percentage.)

Thank you!

DisneyJoe

Be sure to check with the runDisney tour operators too - I know that they can sometimes still be holding registrations and rooms after Disney itself has sold out.

val002

@Ariel484 Thank you so much! I will be sure to keep my eye the price increase. Also, thanks so much for all of your running TRs. They are such a HUGE influence for running this 1/2 Marathon. I hope you know how much your TRs have an affect on people on the boards!

runningforit

Xmen -

I think the assessment above is on point that you seem to get a lot more for your money with the Wine and Dine. (3 parks vs 1)

With that said, I did the TOT last year and really liked it. The advantage to this race, for me, is that Hollywood studios is my favorite park and the after party there was awesome. I got to ride the TOT back to back with no lines....awesome.

So, I think it comes down to rather you are more worried about the route during the race or the entertainment afterward.

Having done the TOT already, I am leaning toward the Wine and Dine this year.
If you are interested, you can check out my recap of the TOT at http://www.runningforit.com/2013/01/tower-of-terror-10-miler-recap.html

You will probably have a great time doing either.

I

The distance difference to me wasn't really the deciding factor. It's going to be our first Disney run and the big appeal for the Wine and Dine is running through the different parks. Just didn't know if there was another reason people may choose one over the other.

Ariel484

Thank you. I knew that they did % capacities, but I didn't see it this time so I thought maybe they cut that. (I didn't know they only started it at a certain percentage.)

Thank you!
You're welcome! I got an email from runDisney this morning that registration has opened. Some day I'll do this one. They'll also post the % capacity from time to time on their Facebook page.
Be sure to check with the runDisney tour operators too - I know that they can sometimes still be holding registrations and rooms after Disney itself has sold out.
Right, I forgot about that. Normally I'm so excited to sign up for the race that I do it the day registration opens (or before then)...:) I think they also hold charity spots, right?
@Ariel484 Thank you so much! I will be sure to keep my eye the price increase. Also, thanks so much for all of your running TRs. They are such a HUGE influence for running this 1/2 Marathon. I hope you know how much your TRs have an affect on people on the boards!
You're welcome! Thanks for the kind words about the trip reports...:) Good luck with your training!!

LindsayLoves

Wow. It does not look like you get a whole bunch for your $79... A drink, meet and greets, 5 tastes from F&W, and that seems to be about it. Will rides be open?

Also not sure if anyone noticed but they are now advertising that they will have a long sleeve tech shirt, which if my memory serves me correctly is new for this event - its usually a short sleeve shirt.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom