Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

Fractal514

I don't mean to go in the other direction but I forgot you were here in California! Hope you're having a good time.

You will never connect with ANY new ride like you will with the ones from your childhood because you do not get the same feeling of nostalgia when you ride them. This is why we all get so upset when older rides go away, whatever replaces them, no matter how good, can never live up to the happy memories of riding something with a parent or grandparent as a child who still believed in magic.

Californian Elitist

You will never connect with ANY new ride like you will with the ones from your childhood because you do not get the same feeling of nostalgia when you ride them. This is why we all get so upset when older rides go away, whatever replaces them, no matter how good, can never live up to the happy memories of riding something with a parent or grandparent as a child who still believed in magic.

Completely agree.

djlaosc

At this point, I think everything in Tomorrowland except the TTA could and should be on the chopping block and I'm including the current version of Space Mountain (provided that a better version replaces it). I think Monster's Inc Laugh Floor is a solid attraction but in the wrong park, and Buzz Lightyear could also work in DHS but would probably be redundant.

The fan boy in me loves Carousel of Progress, but if they're not going to update it, it should be replaced as well.

If we were playing Rollercoaster Tycoon: WDW Edition (ie, money is no object), I would say...

• Astro Orbiter - keep - would much rather ride this than Dumbo/Aladdin - adds a bit of life into Tomorrowland
  • Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin - I would keep it, make the guns removable like the other versions, as you said, it could fit in DHS, but they already have TSMM.
  • Carousel of Progress to Epcot/Innoventions
  • Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor - we will never go back on this attraction again (we don't want to be "that" person - being made fun of is not fun to us), but it is an attraction that should be in DHS
  • Space Mountain needs a proper refurb - I preferred Space Mountain 2007 to Space Mountain 2011 - 2011 was a lot rougher for me than 2007.
  • Stitch's Great Escape - I would move to DHS, as DHS is lacking in attractions, and it is based on a film - could fill the Sounds Dangerous building.
  • Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover - like the new name (Tomorrowland Transit Authority always sounded like it should be the name of the HQ/company running the TTAP, but not the name of the transportation itself)
  • Tomorrowland Speedway - keep, but make it futuristic, get rid of the petrol, give it some scenery, could change the layout (use the land behind Space Mountain and then the current land could be used for other attractions.

However, we're not playing RT:WDW...

RSoxNo1

No one wins with FP+. There are just losers and big losers. Onsite guests are going to lose EMH. That’s 4 extra park hours per day. Call me slow but I can’t understand how having the number of operating hours reduced benefits me. Of course, if they’d actually hire the maintenance staff they need and budgeted accordingly …

Everyone loses FP. The current FP system allows everyone equal front-of-the-line access, whether onsite or offsite. “But now that onsite guests are losing EMH, we gotta do something to keep them from abandoning WDW completely. I know, let’s take away all those FP we used to hand out for free and give them to onsite guests instead.” Of course, even the onsite guests lose FP and concede all control of their vacations to TDO, you know, that group of executives making all those brilliant decisions. Offsite guests, well, they get everyone else’s scraps. Why do you think they are adding FP+ to attractions that don’t need them? So they can throw offsite guests a bone.

P.S. Merry Christmas
It's only 3 hours now per day (2 in the evening, 1 in the morning, and not every day).

RSoxNo1

Current wait time for Peter Pan at MK is 170min.
Yes...nearly 3 hours for a 3min ride.
Are people insane?!???

Mermaid is 110min.
For a freakin' omnimover.
Ahhh...The glory of FP. :(

Just leaving that here....
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Peter Pan's Flight is the single most overrated attraction on Disney property. This doesn't mean that I dislike the attraction, it just means that I will never wait more than 10 minutes for it if I can help it. I would much rather wait 30 minutes for Little Mermaid than 30 minutes for Peter Pan's Flight.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Probably not the right place for this.....but what the hay...I dont have time. Just arrived on property....staying at POP for 8 days.....will do a trip report when I return. I havnt been to POP in sometime....HOLY CRAP what happened to this place. A little rough around the edges. There has been a lot of talk about the hamburgers....awful.....just god awful......dry dogfood. I havnt visited in about 16 months. I cant believe the food quality has droped even in that span of time.
Cross over the bridge to Art of Animation resort and eat there. That's what we did in November. You won't be disappointed with the food, and everything is brand spanking new.

RSoxNo1

While walking down the rose garden path behind Imagination toward Canada, I was shocked to see a cheap, tacky trailer of porta potties plopped down on the grass behind the snack stand. It wasn't open yet, behind gates and roped off and I could only surmise that it was there for this week. But it just has no place whatsoever in a park like EPCOT that has plenty of facilities. ... I wonder if they're having more of a problem with people just relieving themselves any/every where?
As someone that was there from 12/28/2011-1/5/2012 I can say that more bathroom facilities were definitely needed in Epcot, especially on NYE. My understanding is that a new restroom is being built on the opposite side of the American Adventure pavilion, but beyond that I'm unaware of any additional restrooms. The Canada/UK area is particularly congested and I would suggest if anything they could have the porta potties behind the doors to Millenium Village or in the alcove area in front of that area. They could even bring in the restroom trailers that are a bit more appealing than standard porta potties.

RSoxNo1

Yes, I placed similar observations into another thread ... but it's like they took all of the conflict out of the attraction. Ursula doesn't even come off as a heavy. Again, I'm sure that this is part of Disney's strategy to not offend the sensibilities of a special needs 4-year-old or her/his mommy blogger.

There's no story really. Ariel wanted to live on land. Ursula helped her with the aid of dancing plastic creatures that in no way resemble AAs and they lived happily ever after.
Is this really any different than any of the other Fantasyland style dark rides though? They all act as a best of.

RSoxNo1

I rather hope she's having lessons in public speaking. Still makes me wince.

And if she dare actually attempt a second food and wine.... One is bad enough. They've trashed my park too much already.
World Showcase is a well themed food court anyway, why not make it what it is?

RSoxNo1

I remember, when I worked in Fantasyland at Disneyland, working Pinocchio one day and a guest came off the ride told me the bright star towards the end of the ride wasn't working. We evacuated the ride, closed the queue and shut down the ride immediately. I remember during training, my lead telling me we couldn't open a ride, or have it running if even so much as one show effect wasn't working properly. I don't know why the same thing isn't applied at WDW. Makes no sense, especially since show is one of the four keys!
Lee has talked about this on many occasions. I believe he referred to them as 101 effects. If an effect was classified as a 101 effect the ride would be shut down. I guess the eels in Little Mermaid don't meet that qualification...

Figments Friend

This is true for me. I haven't visited WDW yet, but I've already decided that when I do go, I'm only eating at the quick service spots, because I don't feel like dealing with dining reservations and rushing to get to restaurants and whatnot. I've also decided that I'll be visiting one park per day, because "park hopping" seems like a hassle and waste of time.

Hi Raven
It can be overwhelming for newbies, yes, but please do not let it deter you from experiencing some of the better eating locations on property. There are a few that are well worth the effort to visit, and depending on the time of year you are at The World, there is a fair chance you will be able to score a seat without booking a reservation months in advance. Some of the table service places i like to dine in that i can almost always get into with little hassle is Marrakesh and Tusker House.

Park Hopping, and deciding if one should do it or not , is a personal choice per the individual. The decision to add it to your admission is up to you, and it of course depends on if one is staying entirely at Disney or has other plans to explore off property. I can see someone who is only staying a few days not bother, exspecially if one is wanting to visit Uni or Sea World during their vacation. For me, i am always on site...so the Hopper option works well for me. I myself insist on it ...and i find it adds a real plus to my experience. It enables me to come to and go as i please within all the Parks, and it also allows for me to extend my Park activities tremendously. I can spend a day at DAK and then head over to another Park after it closes for the evening. Without the Hopper option, i am in for a short expensive visit.

To be honest, it would not surprise me if Disney ..in the next round of ticket price hikes....adds a bigger price tag to the Hopper add on. It will probably one of many 'holes' they feel will need 'plugging' to keep Guests paying through the nose and reducing their real Magical Benefits.

This makes me sad....and the whole Next Gen thing has me a bit gruff.

Californian Elitist

Lee has talked about this on many occasions. I believe he referred to them as 101 effects. If an effect was classified as a 101 effect the ride would be shut down. I guess the eels in Little Mermaid don't meet that qualification...

Correct, when a ride is shut down for a reason like that or for pretty much any other reason, it's considered "101".

RSoxNo1

Of course don't you remember the WDC code of conduct and order of operational readiness and importance - empty the customers pockets, spend as little as possible, efficiency, courtesy, safety, show. The antiquated notion that show comes before efficiency is long gone. I recently ran across the Oriental Land Company page that goes into the operational philosophy that made WDW successful http://www.olc.co.jp/en/csr/safety/scse.html. It's funny that on that page they say that this is what the entire WDC uses as a guideline when in reality it is more the exception than the rule except with Tokyo.
36d2ks.jpg

Figments Friend

Enough so that as a first timer... who was planning a trip to WDW... is suddenly looking at Disneyland... off property... 20 minutes from airport... hmm.

Something to think about.

True that....and DisneyLand is a really great place to visit. A absolute must in my mind for any Park fan.
I was out there this Summer for a few days before the big relauch of DCA. I left before the crowds arrived for the opening ceremonies but what i was able to experience was a HUGE improvement compared to the last time i was there.
DL is really nice...and compact...so a newbie can easily cut their teeth and get a proper introduction. Seriously, what better place really then 'Walt's Park'?

DL deserves all the praise it is getting these days.

RSoxNo1

Mermaid is definitely more advanced, no doubt. I don't connect with it like I connect with the Fantasyland dark rides. I was looking through all my pictures of when I was a kid at Disneyland. 99.9% of the photos were of myself in Fantasyland. Then on top of that, I was placed there when I worked at Disneyland, and I operated pretty much every attraction (even the castle walk through), except small world, Matterhorn and Storybook. I have a connection with Fantasyland. It was like I was meant to work there, and I had a huge feeling they were going to place me there. I just don't connect with Mermaid like I do with the Fantasyland Five at Disneyland. I still like Mermaid, though.
Do you think that's more a function of childhood memories of the classic rides though? We romanticize things we enjoyed as a kid and are often unable to separate ourselves from this perspective.

Californian Elitist

Hi Raven
It can be overwhelming for newbies, yes, but please do not let it deter you from experiencing some of the better eating locations on property. There are a few that are well worth the effort to visit, and depending on the time of year you are at The World, there is a fair chance you will be able to score a seat without booking a reservation months in advance. Some of the table service places i like to dine in that i can almost always get into with little hassle is Marrakesh and Tusker House.

Park Hopping, and deciding if one should do it or not , is a personal choice per the individual. The decision to add it to your admission is up to you, and it of course depends on if one is staying entirely at Disney or has other plans to explore off property. I can see someone who is only staying a few days not bother, exspecially if one is wanting to visit Uni or Sea World during their vacation. For me, i am always on site...so the Hopper option works well for me. I myself insist on it ...and i find it adds a real plus to my experience. It enables me to come to and go as i please within all the Parks, and it also allows for me to extend my Park activities tremendously. I can spend a day at DAK and then head over to another Park after it closes for the evening. Without the Hopper option, i am in for a short expensive visit.

To be honest, it would not surprise me if Disney ..in the next round of ticket price hikes....adds a bigger price tag to the Hopper add on. It will probably one of many 'holes' they feel will need 'plugging' to keep Guests paying through the nose and reducing their real Magical Benefits.

This makes me sad....and the whole Next Gen thing has me a bit gruff.

It doesn't take much to please me. I don't even eat at the table restaurants here at Disneyland. Quick service is just fine with me, though I've heard the quick service at WDW isn't all that great.

As far as park hopping goes, there's almost no doubt it would annoy me out there. I just can't see myself waiting to get on a bus, a monorail or even worse, a ferry, just to get to another park. I'm so used to everything being so close.

Californian Elitist

Do you think that's more a function of childhood memories of the classic rides though? We romanticize things we enjoyed as a kid and are often unable to separate ourselves from this perspective.

That's definitely a big part of it. Those rides are so classic and are a big part of Disneyland's history. Some of them are first day attractions and I find that seriously cool. I'm a big history person. I do think the Fantasyland Five are cooler than Mermaid. Going to hell in Toad, flying in Pan, the huge scare factor in Snow White, the Blue Fairy in Pinocchio, the two story structure in Alice... I find them more appealing.

I like Monster's Inc. more than Mermaid, too. I love that ride.

Taylor

This is true for me. I haven't visited WDW yet, but I've already decided that when I do go, I'm only eating at the quick service spots, because I don't feel like dealing with dining reservations and rushing to get to restaurants and whatnot. I've also decided that I'll be visiting one park per day, because "park hopping" seems like a hassle and waste of time.
AK closes at 6 on most days that certainly does not fill up a day I always hit up Epcot and the MK right after. I use park hopper quite a bit

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom