Sad news as a class act passes away...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Most people here, indeed likely 99.9%, have never heard the name of Dave Herbst.

And that's a shame because he was a Disney man through and through, a class act, a true professional and a fun personality.

He also (shockingly to some here, I'm sure) was a Disney publicist for over three decades after deciding that working PR for the Mouse beat Pittsburgh weather and writing about sports, something he was also extremely passionate about.

I had the privilege of meeting, knowing and working with Dave starting about a decade after he joined the company. He was always friendly, always available and always blunt. He was most definitely not there to spin talking points, but to get to know you, maybe strike up a friendship and get you to understand what Disney was doing better. He was real. He wasn't phony as so many in his department came to be and are now.

Sadly, I hadn't had contact with Dave in a few years. I wasn't even sure whether he was still with the company when I got an email today that he had passed away after having heart surgery last week. He suffered a massive stroke and died. Indeed, the O-Sentinel just put up an obituary which I am linking to below.

In an era where PR folks, especially Disney PR folks were increasingly smarmy and sleazy, Dave was what he always was -- a real guy with a passion for the product. And a class act who genuinely loved the Vacation Kingdom and tried to pass that love onto every one he met.

In looking for news of Dave, I came across an interview he did 11 months ago that hits on so many topics relating to social media. As you'll see, Dave was never one to spin just because that was en vogue in TDO and Celebration Place in his final years. I truly wish I would have been able to discuss the subject with him. I sorta think if he had been in charge of Disney Social Media, things would be done very differently ... heck, I would have just loved a chance to talk about today's Steelers-Giants game or Notre Dame's 3OT comeback win over Pitt Saturday night. He was one of a kind and, sadly, part of a dying breed in corporate communications. He could explain something about the company's position without standing there, looking you in the eye and lying without even thinking about it.

My condolences go out to Dave's wife and family.

wiigirl

Thanks for sharing...condolences...
75.gif

Atomicmickey

Thanks for sharing this. Sounds like a great guy, with a real love for Disney and
his job. Of course the interview is germane to other topics we're discussing here,
and he brought good perspective.

Sorry about the loss of your friend.

prberk

Thanks for posting this. Thoughts and prayers for his family, and for thanksgiving -- for such a gracious person. They are still around; sometimes we just have to look around! Thanks again for sharing this.

Paul

WDW1974

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing this. Sounds like a great guy, with a real love for Disney and
his job. Of course the interview is germane to other topics we're discussing here,
and he brought good perspective.

Sorry about the loss of your friend.

Dave absolutely loved Disney and loved his job. ... Wish there were more of his type in the PR business, period.

And I thought it was bizarre that I found that link at the same time I was looking to see if there was an obit. His perspective, which I don't want to discuss on this thread (we can on the other), certainly isn't a by the books approval of what the company is doing in social media or a glowing belief in the wonders of Disney Lifestylers/Bloggers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom