MK Main Gates getting new look! (Photo)

wdw71fan

Original Poster
Thought you guys would enjoy this.. Hopped over the main gate area today during lunch and got a nice 'work in progress' shot of the re-do of the main gate / toll area at MK...

Looking sharp!!

u64TI.jpg

Skyway

Perhaps they only painted 5/8ths of it in order to keep the toll booth open during renovation, with the remainder to be painted later.

Or perhaps they are finally going to split the tollbooth, allowing the far right lanes to proceed towards the hotels without stopping, and the far left will be only MK parking.

I know that's how the tollbooth was built in 1971, when all of Disney's hotels were north of there. But I'm surprised that they have kept that roadway design for the past 41 years.

I would imagine for first timers heading to the MK area hotels, the approach is confusing ("The archway says Magic Kingdom, but we need to get to the Grand Floridian!"). It also seems dangerous sending cars in the far left tollbooth lanes to make a sharp right across the the other lanes to get to the hotels. And with individual security gates at every hotel now, it is pointless to require those visitors to pass through the MK parking plaza first.

Designating the right 3 lanes "hotel only" would allow Disney to eliminate those three paid tollbooth operator positions. Yes, that would reduce the number of lanes for MK, but I don't think it would mean longer lines. By the time you take out the cars going to the hotels, there would be less demand on those MK lanes, and operators would be more efficient getting cars through since they would spend less time answering questions and directing hotel guests to the proper entrance road.

amejr999

Designating the right 3 lanes "hotel only" would allow Disney to eliminate those three paid tollbooth operator positions. Yes, that would reduce the number of lanes for MK, but I don't think it would mean longer lines. By the time you take out the cars going to the hotels, there would be less demand on those MK lanes, and operators would be more efficient getting cars through since they would spend less time answering questions and directing hotel guests to the proper entrance road.

The potential problem is that there's a turn-around after the Auto Plaza that goes back towards the parking lot (north on World Dr, left on 7 Seas Dr, left on Floridian Way, opposite the Car Care Center). So it would be easier to get free parking.

PhilharMagician

The potential problem is that there's a turn-around after the Auto Plaza that goes back towards the parking lot (north on World Dr, left on 7 Seas Dr, left on Floridian Way, opposite the Car Care Center). So it would be easier to get free parking.

It's fairly easy to get free parking @ MK now. I am shocked that they left the ramp coming off of Floridian way where it is.

Skyway

It's fairly easy to get free parking @ MK now. I am shocked that they left the ramp coming off of Floridian way where it is.

I wonder if there's enough room in the median on the south side of the toll plaza to create a new U-Turn? With monorails, boats, and buses, I imagine there are very few MK Resort guests who drive their car to the MK lot. Since Disney gives them a window parking pass, there's no reason they cannot enter through the tollbooth.

jato4x4

Anybody remember, or have a pic of the tollgate before it was painted pink. For the life of me, I cant remember what it was, or when it changed. Thanks in advance

BrightImagine

The new colors are lovely... Cinderella blue. Thanks for the picture.

I would imagine for first timers heading to the MK area hotels, the approach is confusing ("The archway says Magic Kingdom, but we need to get to the Grand Floridian!").

I agree. We went through the same kind of confusion the first time we drove in instead of taking a bus. And the number of people staying inside the MK area is going to continue to grow. Some prominent signage about MK area hotels would be a good idea.

jato4x4

best I could find quickly online, but this is from 1972

Thank you for that. My google-fu must be off, because I couldn't find any old ones. I'm going to have to look at all the pictures Katy Kodak (my mom) took when I was younger. I cant even remember when it changed. Although back then I wasn't driving, so I didn't really pay attention.

lazyboy97o

I think, as hardcore fans, we should start a petition to have these gates restored
to their original opening condition and style. Just look at that! Modern day
Imagineering has really lost it.
I know you're being sarcastic, but I prefer the old look. The idea of just tossing color and shapes onto the Transportation and Ticket Center area is only Disneyesque if Disneyesque is childish silliness.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom