MK Main Gates getting new look! (Photo)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Fair enough, but on the grand scale of things, you're looking at a wage for 3 people. And fuel for a car or two. In the grand scale of things, it's not much to keep up appearences.

But sure, let them have their bonus!
Well, it is a LOT cheaper to not replace the light bulbs at all than it is to proactively replace them before they burn out.

pumpkin7

Well, it is a LOT cheaper to not replace the light bulbs at all than it is to proactively replace them before they burn out.

Oh I thought you meant that they waited for them to burn out and then replace them. If they were pro actively changing them when they hadn't blown, then fair enough.

Surely though it would have been much better to keep the team going and replace the bulbs after they had burnt out. At least they would have only been out a few hours, instead of a few weeks. And it keeps up the Disney appearance of nothing is ever broken, everything is replaced.
Obviously appearances aren't that important any more at Disney.

articos

My word, are they that desperate that they had to axe a 3 person unit to make sure the parks look pretty?

Really??
The cast members weren't fired, they were simply given other maintenance tasks to do. Instead of looking after lighting, they were used for other work that needed to be done. Part of "normal restructuring" of various departments as the company grows and adapts. To management, it's simply using resources differently.

Goofyernmost

Congrats, you've reached the point of
lalalala-listening.jpg

I think Flynnibus said it best:

Sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of the pre-pubesent whining!

articos

Actually it is possible that the Imageworks banner is 99 vintage. It just goes to show you how little faith WDI had in both JIYI and JIIwF, in both they put banners outside rather than permanent marquees, It's almost as if they knew or planned the attractions were not going to have a long lifespan when they designed them.
Banners are a cheap way to add visual interest. The permanent marquee is the attraction sign in front. The new direction was an "open house at an Institute" and when conventions/open houses happen, a lot of the time there's banners and signs and whatnot. When you can't afford to change the building, signage/building-size decals/banners are an easy way to go. On the flip side, no one at WDI wants to change that iconic building, so a banner is easy to get rid of with no harm done. It should have been gone or replaced after 6 months, tops. All likelihood, no one even thought about it. I'm not sure of the specific banner you're talking about - there's the JII name banner crossing the entry, along with some hanging ones, and the JII banner was changed out between v2 and v2w/Figment. I remember an Imagination Institute banner as well at one point.

Goofyernmost

Banners are a cheap way to add visual interest. The permanent marquee is the attraction sign in front. The new direction was an "open house at an Institute" and when conventions/open houses happen, a lot of the time there's banners and signs and whatnot. When you can't afford to change the building, signage/building-size decals/banners are an easy way to go. On the flip side, no one at WDI wants to change that iconic building, so a banner is easy to get rid of with no harm done. It should have been gone or replaced after 6 months, tops. All likelihood, no one even thought about it. I'm not sure of the specific banner you're talking about - there's the JII name banner crossing the entry, along with some hanging ones, and the JII banner was changed out between v2 and v2w/Figment. I remember an Imagination Institute banner as well at one point.

OK, I can accept the banner...I cannot accept dirty and faded due to no one caring. Themeing is one thing, neglect is another (not that they could do anything that would further diminish it's previous glory). Can't get much lower!

articos

OK, I can accept the banner...I cannot accept dirty and faded due to no one caring. Themeing is one thing, neglect is another (not that they could do anything that would further diminish it's previous glory). Can't get much lower!
Agreed. One of the challenges in themed design is thinking down the road knowing things are not going to be kept up as well as you'd like and hopefully mitigating that as much as humanly possible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom