MK Main Gates getting new look! (Photo)

articos

The blue Impala, plus the brown Chevelle (or is that a Pontiac LeMans?) and the red Volkswagen fastback are all messed up because they only had the four middle lanes open for Magic Kingdom tolls at the time. The far left lanes, plus the entire right half of the toll plaza was shut down and unstaffed, as noted by the lowered gate arms and red lights above those entry lanes. There does appear to be one lane of traffic queued for the furthest right lane, as that's likely for Hotel guests arriving. Cars approaching the toll plaza from the left and right lanes would not realize this setup until they got right up to the plaza area, and then they'd need to do some last minute stopping and swerving and merging.

The blue Impala is the worst, as that driver probably didn't notice the red lights above the closed lanes until the last minute and isn't headed to a Hotel, so he then had to back up a bit and turn a hard left to try and merge into the few middle lanes operating, begging forgiveness from the other lined up motorists who were lucky enough to approach the plaza from the middle lanes.

Even back in 1972 Disney management was cutting corners and reducing staffing where they could, even if it meant frustrated customers beginning their Magic Kingdom day in a confusing line of traffic. TDO '72 strikes again! :D

The right most lane of the toll plaza was always left open for Contemporary and Poly hotel guests, Ft Wilderness, service vehicles and cast members. This was a pretty typical photo of the time in the afternoon. That flat roof is still there, hiding behind the arches. Wish the signage was too, but that's long gone.

themonkeyisthesultan

Not directly, but this reminded me. I'd like it if there was a (subtle) renaming of a couple of WDW's parks to make them more uniform. Since we already have Disney's Animal Kingdom and Disney's Hollywood Studios, I think the other two parks should be called Disney's Magic Kingdom and Disney's EPCOT Center.

Timothy_Q

Not directly, but this reminded me. I'd like it if there was a (subtle) renaming of a couple of WDW's parks to make them more uniform. Since we already have Disney's Animal Kingdom and Disney's Hollywood Studios, I think the other two parks should be called Disney's Magic Kingdom and Disney's EPCOT Center.

Please no.
It should just be Magic Kingdom, Epcot Center, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom. Nice and simple

Everything's already inside Walt Disney World, no need to repeat it everywhere.

themonkeyisthesultan

Please no.
It should just be Magic Kingdom, Epcot Center, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom. Nice and simple

Everything's already inside Walt Disney World, no need to repeat it everywhere.
That'd be fine too, as long as there aren't two parks with "Disney's" in their names and two without it. And "Epcot" definitely should be changed back to "EPCOT Center".

Rob562

"Disney's" before Animal Kingdom is predominantly a copyright/trademark issue. The phrase "animal kingdom" was already an established phrase in the English language, so it couldn't be copyrighted/trademarked. Thus they added "Disney's" at the front.

That's also why the official name of the Magic Kingdom is really "Magic Kingdom Park".

"Epcot" was such a unique name that it could easily be trademarked (it's unclear whether the original acronym of EPCOT could be trademarked)

Putting "Disney's" before Hollywood Studios is probably more to differentiate it from that other "Studios" park in the Orlando area.

-Rob

DougK

"Disney's" before Animal Kingdom is predominantly a copyright/trademark issue. The phrase "animal kingdom" was already an established phrase in the English language, so it couldn't be copyrighted/trademarked. Thus they added "Disney's" at the front.

That's also why the official name of the Magic Kingdom is really "Magic Kingdom Park".

"Epcot" was such a unique name that it could easily be trademarked (it's unclear whether the original acronym of EPCOT could be trademarked)

Putting "Disney's" before Hollywood Studios is probably more to differentiate it from that other "Studios" park in the Orlando area.

-Rob

Oh boy, Disney's Disneyland Park.

wdw71fan

Original Poster
New signage now being installed today just past the toll plaza and at the split... More to come ;)

8ub8c.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom