Tomorrowland refurb or expansion needed.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Lee said it. Feb 1995 had a close to a perfect Tomorrowland as WDW has had.

They just ripped it out bit by since ever since.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
They need to remove the Carousel of Progress, put a bigger arcade next to Space Mountain, keep the planets on Astro Orbiter stationary, keep Stitch and Monsters, Inc., add Duffy, more meet & greets and gift shops, then add Fastpass and next-generation queue to the Peoplemover.

Took me a second to realize you were joking.
At first I thought, hey, this guy usually makes waaaay more sense than this.
Thanks for the laugh.

menamechris

The planets being stationary on Astro Orbiter needs to change. I don't know what the real story is - but they need to figure it out. It brought a much needed kinetic energy to Tomorrowland. It just looks dead with it turned off..

WEDway1975

I remember a few months ago someone posted this article about a Tomorrowland revamp.
This article is from the Disney Gossip.
A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow
One of the key observations that has been made about the new Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom interactive game is that every land except Tomorrowland has a tie-in to the game. This has led many to speculate that Disney does not want to spend to add SotMK elements only to have to remove them for a giant upgrade to the land that may be in the planning stages right now.

The new Disney parks leadership (aka Tom Staggs) and Walt Disney Imagineering agree that Tomorrowland at both the Magic Kingdom and at Disneyland is in great need of help. Cars land opens in June at DCA and New Fantasyland opens in November at the MK. This is fortuitous for the prospects for a new Tomorrowland. If the crowds and spending come to DCA and New Fantasyland as predicted, WDI will get the greenlight to move ahead with plans to update Tomorrowland in both parks.

Historically, Disney management has been much more likely to green light an attraction if it can be duplicated and used in multiple parks. They now believe they can get two Tomorrowlands for the price of one (so to speak). Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom would get clones of a new E-Ticket, clones of a C or D ticket, and updates to theming that will be nearly identical at both parks.

Everything would be tied up around space travel and a very futuristic vision of far off places and new creatures. The C or D ticket is tentatively scheduled to be a WALL-E based next-generation omnimover (a more varied range of motion for the cars and onboard screens to interact with). The E-Ticket you've probably already heard of.

It will be more than just a single ride, but rather a whole pavilion. Everyone knows that Avatarland has been put on hold at Disney's Animal Kingdom. The reason might be because Imagineering has long held an interest in graphing an alien world onto Tomorrowland and the Avatar movies might provide the perfect vehicle. It also lets Disney have a working concept that won't see the park needing to re-invent the land every 15 years again.

That's all I have for today. Looks like we could be in for a very interested next 5 years.

Here's a link to the website. http://www.disneygossip.com/2012/03/great-big-beautiful-tomorrow.html

The Empress Lilly

That looks like a 60's version of what they thought the future would like in the 2000's.
What is the Empire State Building other than 'a 1929 version of what they thought the future would look like in 1979'?
What is the Seattle Space Needle other than 'a 1962 version of what they thought the future would look like in 1992'?

Should it all be demolished?

The 'futuristic visions' of 1929, 1962 and 1971 are not obsolete - they are simply the futuristic visions of 1929, 1962 and 1971. Their worth is not what they tell us about 1979, 1992 or 2001, but what they tell us about 1929, 1962, 1971. Futurism is a

Tomorrowland is no more obsolete than Main Street is obsolete for 'looking like the 1955 version of what they thought the past was like in 1905'. MS does not look like 1905, it looks like 1955 nostalgia for the US city centers that had lost their function to postwar mobilty and suburbanisation. Tomorrowlaqnd does not look like the world in 2001, it looks like 1971 'futurism' for US city centers embracing an optimistic future.

One preserves Main Street not as a monument of the 1900's, but as one of 1955. Likewise, one preserves Tomorrowland not as a monument for the 2000's, but as one of 1971.

The Empress Lilly

What is twenty-five years old looks like a complete embarrassment. Who would want to be caught dead with shoulder pads, big hair, and 'Ice Ice Baby'? But what is fifty years old has become classic.

A car that is twenty years old is an ugly piece of junk. In need of replacement. But a car that is fifty years old is a priceless vintage model.
This is why DL moved from a contemporary theme park to 'classic monument to American civilisation' during its fiftieth birthday. It had never been as popular ever before. But now it moved into 'an American classic', will remain so for all eternity from now on. The same could happen with TL. In 1995, those white spires looked dull, old, silly seventies. But now, just give it a few more years, a decade, and vintage TL will look like the most splendid part of WDW that was ever build.

The Empress Lilly

I agree, perhaps we could go with something like this:
WDW-661_-_Entrance.jpg
Now you are a man of exquisite taste!

Incredibly beautiful. So sleek, inspired. A monument to mid-century optimism, when the future was thought to be as bright and clean as the past was presented to be.

Infinitely refined too. Do you notice how the form of the Peoplemover track is repeated in the form of the fountains? The one makes no sense (well, much less) without the other. We are stuck now with just the baby version, alone, orphaned.

You can see it better from behind. In this tiny pic below, bottom right, see how the form is duplicated? The Peoplemover and the fountain? Large and small?

tumblr_loydsalMu91qjxtdjo1_500_thumb.jpg

Contemporary%20Resort%20003.jpg

Notice too how the Contemporary - visible from within TL - is build with the same angle. The same crooked, white, concrete, pillars supporting a hollow structure housing futuristic transport.
The Peoplemover, double fountain entrance, Contemporary - all echo each other. One stylistic whole, even an architectural ensemble.

Disregarding the Fantasia shop, look at the shape, form, angle, material. 'Monorail through Contemporary' rhymes with 'Peoplemover through Tomorrowland':

VFPV%20Contemporary%20shopblog.JPG

1p84k9.jpg

All of which, in turn, is echoed in the very furniture of the MK, the benches in the MK's TL and Fantasyland, the TTC, the monorail. Indeed in the very idea of a sleek futuristic transportation system from a TTC to an hotel to an entertainment park. What is the SSL area other than a massive 'Tomorrowland on the move'? All culminating in TL '71.
It's all sheer Progress City. TL 1971 is neither a trivial nor random design. It is an integral part of an ensemble that stretches all across Seven Seas Lagoon. An hommage to the last dream of Walt.

And they wish to replace all this splendour with a dumb cartoon space porty thingy. :confused:

alissafalco

What is the Empire State Building other than 'a 1929 version of what they thought the future would look like in 1979'?
What is the Seattle Space Needle other than 'a 1962 version of what they thought the future would look like in 1992'?

Should it all be demolished?

The 'futuristic visions' of 1929, 1962 and 1971 are not obsolete - they are simply the futuristic visions of 1929, 1962 and 1971. Their worth is not what they tell us about 1979, 1992 or 2001, but what they tell us about 1929, 1962, 1971. Futurism is a

Tomorrowland is no more obsolete than Main Street is obsolete for 'looking like the 1955 version of what they thought the past was like in 1905'. MS does not look like 1905, it looks like 1955 nostalgia for the US city centers that had lost their function to postwar mobilty and suburbanisation. Tomorrowlaqnd does not look like the world in 2001, it looks like 1971 'futurism' for US city centers embracing an optimistic future.

One preserves Main Street not as a monument of the 1900's, but as one of 1955. Likewise, one preserves Tomorrowland not as a monument for the 2000's, but as one of 1971.

so maybe Disney should never refurb anything at all because if they wait long enough it will become classic? :confused:

Patricia Melton

I really like thinking about what they should do with Tomorrowland. I wish I was a good artist because I would do some sketches. I think one of the best rehabs I ever saw drawn for Tomorrowland was by the guy who runs the Idealbuildout site. I don't know if forum rules allow linking to another site but if you Google the two words "Idealbuildout" and "Tomorrowland" it is the first entry on the Google search --- but it's a redesign of Tokyo's Tomorrowland using what the designer calls "Deco-Tech". That's presuming Tomorrowland would be a an Art Deco/Technological looking place.

I kind of wish Disney would go Steampunk with Tomorrowland and have it become how the future would have looked to someone in the Victorian era with imagination...like Jules Verne. Coming off Main Street there'd be an interesting leap into a Victorian-future of steampunk...and then the other transition from Tomorrowland into Fantasyland would also make sense because Alice's teacups are right there and another Alice attraction could be added to help with the transition.

I'd like to see the Speedway removed and the land carved up roughly 50/50 and given to Fantasyland and Tomorrowland, with the idea being that there could be a portal arch built between FL/TL so that it would be like you are popping from the future through a rabbit hole into the victorian Fantasy of Alice and then on to the other Fantasyland areas in the FLE.

The steampunk would be a lot of fun...lots of opportunities for Imagineers to really run wild with their imaginations and build all kinds of robots, lots of things with little clockwork gizmos and lights, lots of activity and motion. It could be really spectacular...and I think much more timeless than Deco/Tech.

I also like the idea I've heard about changes the Tomorrowland name to Discoveryland.

PS -- I found this article that's too good not to link so I hope it's okay: http://idealbuildout.blogspot.com/2012/03/mk-east-renewal.html

The guy who runs this site took the time to do a redesign of Tomorrowland at WDW, and he had the Alice attractions there that would be a transition from Fantasyland into Tomorrowland via Wonderland. I really like this redesign.

WEDway1975

This is what I would do for Tomorrowland.

Make an entrance likes this.
tomorrowland+4.jpg

Redo the Tomorrowland Speedway to make it look something like this.
autocon.jpg

Updated Space Mountain and make this for the inside of Space Mountain
tomorrowland%252520concept%2525202.jpg

Put a fountain like this.
art9.jpg

Remove the arcade.
wdw_video_arcade.jpg

Build a small gift shop and use the rest of the space for a new ride. Maybe a Tron roller coaster? Hmmmmmm???
1d5ae800d8b0a8460166e0f8e7cfa874.jpg

Also, remove Stich and put in a updated ExtraTERRORestrial so there something for Teens except Space Mountain
stitchsgreatescape.jpg

Remove the Laugh Floor and replace it with some kind of UFO ride.
Alien%252520world.jpg

Make the Terrace an ACUTALLY restaurant again.
DSC09807.JPG

Remove all the clutter in front of Buzz.
P01-0001.JPG

Updated the People Mover with new audio and add new cars.
enclosed%252520Peoplemover%252520cars.jpg

Update COP with a newer ending and fix the AAs and remove the gear sign in fornt of it.
IMG_1222.JPG

For expansion they could add a Meet the Robsions ride
WDW%252520Tomorrowland.jpg

That's all I would do to Tomorrowland.

luv

I think Stitch fits very well. I don't think it is good, but it does fit. MILF doesn't fit all that well.

ITA with a pp who feels that the area in front of Buzz is too cluttered. Tomorrowland should be sleek and smooth.

CoP so desperatley needs expansion. It is a great attraction with an excellent, optimistic message...but they need to shut it down and build something with more rooms.

I don't mind the dance parties, but the song "Thriller" is more old-fashioned than it is futuristic. I like it, but it isn't really a Tomorrowland kind of thing, IMO.

They should havenreathemed Buzz to a TRON thing instead of TT. TRON would fit much better there and Buzz is unnecessary.

rufio

I agree that it definitely needs an overhaul. What was "futuristic" when TL was refurbed back in the day is now considered tacky. I don't mind it too much, but I will say that TL is the area that I spend the least amount of time in during my MK days.

rct247

This is what I would do for Tomorrowland.

Make an entrance likes this.
tomorrowland+4.jpg

Redo the Tomorrowland Speedway to make it look something like this.
autocon.jpg

Updated Space Mountain and make this for the inside of Space Mountain
tomorrowland%252520concept%2525202.jpg

Put a fountain like this.
art9.jpg

Remove the arcade.
wdw_video_arcade.jpg

Build a small gift shop and use the rest of the space for a new ride. Maybe a Tron roller coaster? Hmmmmmm???
1d5ae800d8b0a8460166e0f8e7cfa874.jpg

Also, remove Stich and put in a updated ExtraTERRORestrial so there something for Teens except Space Mountain
stitchsgreatescape.jpg

Remove the Laugh Floor and replace it with some kind of UFO ride.
Alien%252520world.jpg

Make the Terrace an ACUTALLY restaurant again.
DSC09807.JPG

Remove all the clutter in front of Buzz.
P01-0001.JPG

Updated the People Mover with new audio and add new cars.
enclosed%252520Peoplemover%252520cars.jpg

Update COP with a newer ending and fix the AAs and remove the gear sign in fornt of it.
IMG_1222.JPG

For expansion they could add a Meet the Robsions ride
WDW%252520Tomorrowland.jpg

That's all I would do to Tomorrowland.

I almost completely agree.

Personally, I really like the "future that never was" idea. Future World at Epcot can be cutting edge and have the purpose that Walt originally wanted in Tomorrowland, while Tomorrowland is a great area for the fantastical ideas and stories of the future. I know some people argue that Tomorrowland shouldn't be a sci-fi themed Fantasyland, but isn't when you look at Adventureland isn't is just an adventure themed Fantasyland. Disney's Animal Kingdom serves a better purpose of real life adventures while Adventureland has more of the fantasy behind it.

The Deco-Tech and Googie futuristic styles will always have some classic look to them. I think that old Tomorrowland became dated more quickly than our new Tomorrowland has. I think some clutter should be removed revealing some sleek classic design, while other clutter can remain. Surely there is a way to combine futuristic styles from the 1930s, 1950s/1960s, and 1980s with some technology for today for a overall cohesive theme.

I don't want the huge towering waterfalls to return to the entrance of Tomorrowland, but I think something could replace the rocks. Avenue of the Planets may seem cluttered to some, but it has lots of eye candy. The sleek clean lines of old Tomorrowland are beautiful in their own way, but perhaps not as something to draw people into the land. Tomorrowland is very much a futuristic city and needs to be cast as such. Adventureland has it's market feel, Main Street is small town America, Frontierland and Liberty Square are towns as well, and even Fantasyland is a castle village in a sense. I think some asthetics could be improved upon with our new technology like LEDs, flat-screens, etc. I think our lighting and signage should rely less on neon more on how our electronic devices are designed today with glowing buttons and sleek blacks and whites. Very Tron-esque.

As far as attractions, Stitch fits in Tomorrowland, but his attraction is horrible. It needs to be removed for something else. I think the attraction that replaces it should have some appeal towards teens or adults, but not to the intensity of Alien Encounter, despite me wishing it would return. Monster Inc is great, but doesn't blog in Tomorrowland. If Studios gets another Monsters attraction, then this one can finally be replaced. Astro Orbiter needs to be updated. I like when they added the spinning planets and such, but those no longer work. It needs a refurbishment that not only addresses that issue, but also a capacity issue. I wish we had flying saucers like at Hong Kong Disneyland. The Peoplemover deserves updated trains. Those are the same trains from 1975. I think the spiel needs to return to something themed like we had in 1994 too perhaps. Buzz Lightyear fits perfectly in Tomorrowland in my opinion, but I would rather it be less toy set and more actual Star Command Headquarters. As much as I love Space Mountain's track as is, it could be rebuilt with some exciting enhancements, new exterior lighting package, onboard sound, new track, and increased seating capacity. I miss the old television broadcasts they had in there. They were cheesy, but were in good fun. Despite many who would strongly disagree, I think Carousel of Progress needs to be completely redone. Send the historic stage sets to the Smithsonian for a proper exhibit there, and update the attraction to appeal to today's audience. Rather than following the history of electricity, why not focus on the history of computers and their integration into the home and electronics. The scenes would start around 1950s/1960s and progress every 30 years or so. All brand new scenes, all brand new animatronics, all keeping with Walt Disney's original concept, and by sending the pieces to the Smithsonian it still preserves an important part of history. I think generations of today would better identify with it and add some renewed interest in its attendance. Speedway on the other hand has seen it's better days. As much as kids love the chance to drive a car, the attraction should be removed. A new sub-land or major attraction could be built there instead.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom