NYT: "Universal....Takes Aim at Disney"

maxairmike

I'm not a big Transformers fan (that's for my brothers, lol...one brother just adored the cartoon movie when he was young) but I found the first movie ok...though the next two were horried. But the ride looks great! I'd go on it in a heartbeat even while not being the biggest fan of the franchise. And it is good for the park so I say ok, bring it!

Bingo. I was hardly a huge fan of Harry Potter before they built the land, but man, I caught Potter mania "park style" the closer the place got to opening and I got it bad. I feel similarly about Transformers. I'm not a fan of the movies, but I am very, very excited for the ride version.

menamechris

Yup. 2 100-million-dollar e-ticket rides under construction at once, a land, a transportation/dark ride connecting 2 parks, a D ticket, and a resort all being constructed at once. And that's only the major projects.

I am seriously more excited about Universal's future than anything that is happening in all of WDW. And that is depressing... It seriously makes me want to swap annual passes now. I could have a Universal annual pass for 2-3 years starting January 1- and not miss out on anything groundbreaking at Disney. It will pretty much be like time stood still when I returned...

HMButler79

LOTR as teh 3rd park would TRULY put WDW in the ER. My god...For Uni. to have THE two premier literary fantasy properties of our time sans Narnia. The theming possibilties and experiences would be endless....

djlaosc

They are looking at either Seuss or Jurassic Park for a 2014 attraction. That's the extent of my knowledge of it. Was hoping someone else would elaborate if I threw it out there.

The way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually got both - it's probably just a case of which first!

I don't know which land I would prefer get a new ride first, but I really want them to bring back the Triceratop Encounter - I never got to do it and it was something that I always wanted to do (got excited when it was brought back last year but it was gone again before our trip) - is there any chance that it could be brought back permenantly?

GLaDOS

The way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually got both - it's probably just a case of which first!

I don't know which land I would prefer get a new ride first, but I really want them to bring back the Triceratop Encounter - I never got to do it and it was something that I always wanted to do (got excited when it was brought back last year but it was gone again before our trip) - is there any chance that it could be brought back permenantly?

TE is gone for good.

But to be honest, it wasn't all that special. It was a nice diversion, but you didn't miss much.

djlaosc

TE is gone for good.

But to be honest, it wasn't all that special. It was a nice diversion, but you didn't miss much.

That's a shame - obviously, I wasn't expecting it to be something incredible, but it was one of the things on the planning DVDs that I really wanted to do when I was younger - as you said, it would have been a nice diversion (I guess in Disney that would be an A-Ticket, like Narnia/new Pirates walkthrough at DHS) while in the Jurassic Park island.

Jurassic Park really does need another attraction (there's only really the River Adventure - lots of people can't ride the Pteradon Flyers (I've never been on), and the Discovery Centre is fine to look around once but it's not something that you have to do every trip!

But, then again, Seuss Landing only really has Cat in the Hat as a 'major' attraction, and so another family dark ride on that island would be useful as well!

As I said earlier, both islands need something, but's it's a question of which island needs it soonest!

Jedeye80

I like the sound of a jurassic park expansion, not sure what kind of attraction would work though. Don't think a dark ride or a show would fit, or a coaster. Think it's safe to say that all of universal could be getting expanded in the near future apart from the marvel land.

71jason

I like the sound of a jurassic park expansion, not sure what kind of attraction would work though. Don't think a dark ride or a show would fit, or a coaster. Think it's safe to say that all of universal could be getting expanded in the near future apart from the marvel land.

This is pure speculation but elsewhere I've seen suggestions that a rethemed version of this ride from Universal Singapore would work:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_Hunters_(Universal_Studios_Singapore)

Replace antique cars with Jeeps, jungle critters with dinos, would pretty much be a perfect fit.

GLaDOS

This is pure speculation but elsewhere I've seen suggestions that a rethemed version of this ride from Universal Singapore would work:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_Hunters_(Universal_Studios_Singapore)

Replace antique cars with Jeeps, jungle critters with dinos, would pretty much be a perfect fit.

They'd need to make the attraction much, much more impressive than a simple retheme, though. From what I understand the ride is less than impressive, and has low guest satisfaction numbers.

cheezbat

That ride looks like a smaller version of the Indy Speedway at MK...but this one is way better themed.

Personally, I hope they go the route of family coaster with show scenes...and the Lorax dark ride might be a great addition to Seuss Landing as well!

RSoxNo1

Yup. 2 100-million-dollar e-ticket rides under construction at once, a land, a transportation/dark ride connecting 2 parks, a D ticket, and a resort all being constructed at once. And that's only the major projects.
So Marni's list had a few more things listed. I'll try to condense this:
  • Diagon Alley: Gringotts Coaster, Hogwarts Express
  • Transformers - Is this suppose to go in Stage 44 at Universal Studios?
  • Something Mad - Is this the Madagascar ride from Singapore going into Feivel's area?
  • D/E-Ticket in IOA - Jurassic Park Jeep Ride or Lorax dark ride?
  • New Waterpark and 3rd gate? Is there any truth to this?
Are those the projects that are believed to be in development?

GLaDOS

So Marni's list had a few more things listed. I'll try to condense this:
  • Diagon Alley: Gringotts Coaster, Hogwarts Express
  • Transformers - Is this suppose to go in Stage 44 at Universal Studios?
  • Something Mad - Is this the Madagascar ride from Singapore going into Feivel's area?
  • D/E-Ticket in IOA - Jurassic Park Jeep Ride or Lorax dark ride?
  • New Waterpark and 3rd gate? Is there any truth to this?
Are those the projects that are believed to be in development?

Yes, Transformers will be on SS44. Look for an announcement sooner rather than later. "Mad", I would assume, is indeed Madagascar. Haven't heard anything about it coming to USF, but Martin is the expert, so I defer to him. I've heard one attraction for IoA to open in 2014. My source told me it was Seuss related, but the prevailing opinion of others seems to point to a JP family coaster d-ticket level attraction. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Seuss attraction open at some point in the near future as well, though.

As for the water park...it's got plans. It's ready to go. I heard it was a go over a year ago...but haven't heard anything since. So I don't know where it stands.

A third gate would hinge on them getting more land, I believe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom