NYT: "Universal....Takes Aim at Disney"

RSoxNo1

I was under the impression that the train would actually be phase 3 and the platform in USF would be where Disaster is now.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I was under the impression that the train would actually be phase 3 and the platform in USF would be where Disaster is now.

From what I'm told, the Express platform should be parallel to the kink in the Disaster ride tunnel, but north of it.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Wasn't it on this site somewhere that someone posted a map with highlights as to where the train would go>?

This was my GUESS at it:

jawshp.jpg

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That's pretty much it. Screamscape picked up on what a local news item had earlier this year, a rough indicative layout of the site.

d3034767.jpg

HenryMystic

From what I'm told, the Express platform should be parallel to the kink in the Disaster ride tunnel, but north of it.

I'm more curious about the IoA end. Are they going to work around Sinbad which is in the direct line of fire from the proposed track, or are they going to demolish Sinbad?

CJR

I'm more curious about the IoA end. Are they going to work around Sinbad which is in the direct line of fire from the proposed track, or are they going to demolish Sinbad?

From what I've heard from a few friends who work at Universal, they're trying to find a way to keep Sinbad there. Universal wants to keep the Lost Continent in place while expanding Harry Potter. Why? Not because of the rides, but the restaurant. I found the interesting. They could still close Sinbad, but that would leave only one attraction in the land, which is apparently why they want to avoid it, if possible. It looks like they might have found a way, but no one seems to know for sure since they're not that high up on the chain.

HenryMystic

From what I've heard from a few friends who work at Universal, they're trying to find a way to keep Sinbad there. Universal wants to keep the Lost Continent in place while expanding Harry Potter. Why? Not because of the rides, but the restaurant. I found the interesting. They could still close Sinbad, but that would leave only one attraction in the land, which is apparently why they want to avoid it, if possible. It looks like they might have found a way, but no one seems to know for sure since they're not that high up on the chain.

There is a parking lot behind Sinbad and Dragons that may work.

And yeah, Mythos always comes up when people talk about doing something with the Lost Continent.

RSoxNo1

I can't read that map particularly well - I assume this would still mean that Disaster would be removed?

Permits were filed last week for the Hogwarts Express with the City of Orlando. Parkscope discovered them:

http://parkscope.blogspot.com/2012/06/uor-permit-update-6112.html

Does "Project 7689" mean anything to anybody?

RSoxNo1

The number looks like it's irrelevant. But the projects seem to be construction of the two stations for the train as well as the "connector". What that is, I have no idea.

I have some documents associated with Project 7689 but they're borderline indecipherable. It's definitely associated with the area but it seems like it has more to do with the removal of the Jaws area than any new construction.

As for Disaster sticking around, glad to hear it. It's a very underrated attraction.

misterID

I don't think Disaster! will be sticking around for all that much longer, though.

The one thing I've never understood is why in the world UNI never built a Sponge Bob dark ride. Seeing what they did with Cat In The Hat, it could be fantastic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom