NYT: "Universal....Takes Aim at Disney"

flavious27

I don't think Transformers would be that exciting.

Lord of the Rings? Now THATS exciting

If it occupied more than 10 acres. I also don't think that they will pay for another large license deal and the cost of construction, IOA would need another half or million plus on top of 2011's numbers.

Wasn't there talk at one time about bringing back Kong after the Potter expansion?

Where are they going to put it, or rather what are they going to close to put it in?

yes disney is trembling with fear...they have roughly a worldwide theme park average of what 80 million a year compared to the maybe 18 million that all the universal parks pull in. I would be hiding in the fetal position if i were mickey mouse...

give it up universals...yes teenagers might want to spend a few years at your parks but they are not spending any money other than to get in...everything universal does has an expiration date and the clock is ticking on a few of them right now. Harry potter is the only thing they've done that will still be around in 20 years. Its a fun park but it will never beat disney because they lack vision...how crappy is the transformers show going to be...umm how crappy were the 2nd and 3rd movies..ok then that crappy. Special effects do not warrant a ride...and universal has built a whole theme park on movies that were not that good just had good special effects. The simpsons? really..the mummy? are you kidding me...still pushing the movie twister...that nobody under 30 even knows about? way to keep on top of things.

80 million, think 50% more than that. Disney had a little more than 120 million in 2010.

IoA has also underperformed its entire history due to a myriad of reasons. This is it getting to it's desired and designed attendance capacities, and 2012 hasn't seen any drop offs from last year. It's obviously not going to rise 30% every year, as it can't handle that kind of growth.

And again, the Studios situation is being handled. They know there's been no growth. Which is why Harry is moving in.

Comcast has seen these numbers, and is investing. These aren't fluke numbers.

Myriad? I would have said 10+ years of no new attractions. I am still hesitant of this being long term and what happens when attendance drops to 6 million or less guests annually.

My employer spent a billion plus on the theme park, they don't want it to be wasted. I look at the past with a leering eye.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
.....No. Not at all actually. I am not talking about the technical details like mist or the yeti. So unless the line for the ride is broken....then I am confused as to what your spinning my words into.

Your confused period. You pontificate about attention to detail then dismiss it when its pointed out that the details dont work.

flavious27

Who says USF has to close attractions anymore? DM maybe the last attraction to close for a new one.

And Jaws is closing for hp p2. USF has a small footprint, they could put something in the parking lot but they would need to theme a few hundred feet of a pathway to it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Wait which parking lot?!

Long term plans for this park include expanding into the backstage area behind Potter 2 and Disaster. Decked parking has been suggested when relocated facilities take up cast member parking.

There's also the option (finally) of the unused plot between MiB and Simpsons (not the pyro compound) and probably eventually the Fear Factor stage.

Also, repurposing some of the stages has been discussed. As has the parking lot west of Twister as a minimal, self contained single use option.

cbconglom

Long term plans for this park include expanding into the backstage area behind Potter 2 and Disaster. Decked parking has been suggested when relocated facilities take up cast member parking.

There's also the unused plot between MiB and Simpsons (not the pyro compound) and probably eventually the Fear Factor stage.

Also, repurposing some of the stages has been discussed. As has the parking lot west of Twister as a minimal, self contained single use option.

Thanks very much!!! (runs to google maps to daydream)

Still don't get why they turned that land near hp2 into apartments..

maxairmike

It was originally supposed to be used for a Universal version of the College Program, but the plans for that program fell through. I had closely followed the plans for that since about late '07/early '08. Even as recently as two years ago it was at least alive as an idea, but it seems to have died off completely for now.

JT3000

It's technically not impossible, but I don't see them ever attempting this. There's just too much important infrastructure back there to try to jam it all someplace else. On top of that, if they were to axe any significant portion of team member parking, a parking deck large (read: tall) enough to make up for the lost space could probably be seen from the park, ruining sightlines (something Universal has already done enough of.)

They would use the large plot behind World Expo, and even retheme entire sections of the park, loooong before any mentally stable exec would even toy with this possibility.

Still don't get why they turned that land near hp2 into apartments..

Team member housing. There's something to be said about living next door to your employer.

flavious27

It's technically not impossible, but I don't see them ever attempting this. There's just too much important infrastructure back there to try to jam it all someplace else. On top of that, if they were to axe any significant portion of team member parking, a parking deck large (read: tall) enough to make up for the lost space could probably be seen from the park, ruining sightlines (something Universal has already done enough of.)

They would use the large plot behind World Expo, and even retheme entire sections of the park, loooong before any mentally stable exec would even toy with this possibility.

Team member housing. There's something to be said about living next door to your employer.

Don't the neighbors complain about dueling dragons all of the time, would moving closer to them create even more problems than for parking? If they need to build a parking garage, they can just use the land that was intended for Citymark of Orlando.

JT3000

Don't the neighbors complain about dueling dragons all of the time, would moving closer to them create even more problems than for parking?

Are you asking about the new apartment complex? It isn't really anywhere near the coasters, but I believe they aren't "allowed" to complain about their proximity to the parks. I'm sure there's limits though. They actually used it as a joke in Bill & Ted a couple years ago, regarding toning down the pyro, since the complex is right behind the Fear Factor theater.

The other neighbors have always been a problem, and are the reason why Universal is hesitant about doing nighttime shows, and also why they close the coasters in the middle of HHN.

If they need to build a parking garage, they can just use the land that was intended for Citymark of Orlando.

Where was this?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It's technically not impossible, but I don't see them ever attempting this.
Never say never but I know. They are certainly aiming high at least with this and other ideas, but I dare say we will finally see the B before this :animwink:

maxairmike

It is not actually designated as team member housing that I am aware, and the rent is very high (smallest 1/1 is listed at $1,015), even with roommates. As I said in my other post, it was originally supposed to be controlled housing for a Universal college program type system, but that was abandoned and it was turned into an open development. The UOTeam site does list it in their apartment deals guide, but no real information on the discount is given. I suppose if it's a big discount like 10% or more some might consider it "team member housing."

misterID

Where is Potter phase 2 going, exactly?

I remember Whylightbulb talking about the train taking you from phase one to phase two, or something. If HP2 is going into UO where Jaws is... how are they going to swing that train ride?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Where is Potter phase 2 going, exactly?

I remember Whylightbulb talking about the train taking you from phase one to phase two, or something. If HP2 is going into UO where Jaws is... how are they going to swing that train ride?

Potter phase 2 is indeed going where Jaws was. An elevated backstage train track will link the 2. With some nifty outside-but-not fx for the train windows.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom