NYT: "Universal....Takes Aim at Disney"

GLaDOS

If you read the article, all of universal's us gates pulled in 18 million last year, MK pulled in almost that many.

As for IOA gaining 30% over the previous year, they did but studios had no growth over the previous year. Along with that, IOA's attendance has always bounced in and around 6 million guests. Until we see this year's full figures, we can see if last year was just a backlog of guests or a real trend.

IoA has also underperformed its entire history due to a myriad of reasons. This is it getting to it's desired and designed attendance capacities, and 2012 hasn't seen any drop offs from last year. It's obviously not going to rise 30% every year, as it can't handle that kind of growth.

And again, the Studios situation is being handled. They know there's been no growth. Which is why Harry is moving in.

Comcast has seen these numbers, and is investing. These aren't fluke numbers.

Buried20KLeague

IoA has also underperformed its entire history due to a myriad of reasons. This is it getting to it's desired and designed attendance capacities, and 2012 hasn't seen any drop offs from last year. It's obviously not going to rise 30% every year, as it can't handle that kind of growth.

And again, the Studios situation is being handled. They know there's been no growth. Which is why Harry is moving in.

Comcast has seen these numbers, and is investing. These aren't fluke numbers.

This shouldn't be overlooked.

puntagordabob

This article is just wishful thinking, Universal will never be considered a close competitior to Disney other than on the internet, this article is amusing, but not factual.

You can knock out both Universal parks in Florida in one day, and thats even during the busiest time of year. You cannot do that at Disney World. Universal is only a minor player with dreams of the big leagues, dreams which will be unrealized, as long as they have that small patch of land their parks sit on.

Jimmy Thick-Disney will always be king.

Spoken like the American Automakers back in the 1980s when those "inferior" Japanese cars were coming to America.... Today the American Automakers are on the ropes and some of them are simply a long lost memory..... Toyota in this case in Universal (a small insignificant competitor), and Disney os one of the Big 3....

QualityRanksDetroitBig3VsJapanBig3byOverallReliability.jpg

Laugh if you like Jimmy...but the analogy is sound... of course Disney can and hopefully will never be as blind and stupid as our American Auto industry's leaders were when they could have changed their course.

katarn112

While I can appreciate Universal fanboi's and the doom and gloomers constant bashing of the state of Disney World, the fact remains.

Magic Kingdom will out draw both of Universal Orlando's parks combined. Epcot and Disney Studios might as well.

Now if I was in charge of Disney World, and I knew my flagship park was out drawing the so called competition's combined parks, even thought they are within walking distance of each other, no how could I take them seriously as true competition?

Here is the fact, Disney don't, nor should they. Universal Orlando is a niche park, it tends to appeal to teenage boys, which is not a bad thing at all, but Disney World appeals to families, which, of course, is where the money is, and why Disney World will always be the king.

Also, after my visit to both resorts last week, Disney World and Universal, its very, very hard to see what Universal apparently does better than Disney, other than be this radiant experience talked about on the internet. The reality is, both parks are fun, both parks have their strengths and weaknesses, and both parks are clean.

Disney is just a better experience.

Jimmy Thick-Had a hard time seeing this declining by degrees bullwanka...

It almost sounds like you went to Universal just looking for flaws. When you appreciate both Uni and Disney as much as I do, you can see what Disney does better and what Uni does better clear as day.

Disaster Studios makes the backlot tour look like a joke. Terminator and Shrek knock all of WDW's 3d shows out of the water (EO, philhar magic, tough to be a bug). Kali River Rapids pale in comparison to Universal's equivalent. Harry Potter's theming is better than any themed land at Disney World. Spider-man doesn't even have a comparison.

To someone like me, comparing the two for how much money they make or how many guests they attract to the parks each day mean nothing. All I compare about is the guest experience and the attractions. And in that front, Universal is currently giving Disney a spanking IMO. More isn't always better, and I think that's Disney's problem right now. Stop all the expansions and improve what they have. Cancel Avatarland (as much as I would love to see it someday, yeah I'm in that minority who loved Avatar). If I could go back in time, I'd cancel the fantasyland expansion too. Then either do massive Star Tours/Test Track style refurbs or outright replacements of the following attractions:

-Stitch
-Universe of Energy
-Figment
-Captain EO
-Dinosaur
-The Seas with Nemo and Friends
-Everything in fantasyland (I did not grow up "back in the day", I have no nostolgia for the ancient rides there)
-tomorrowland speedway
-Buzz Lightyear
-Monsters Inc laugh floor
-Do something with the wonders of life pavilion!

This may seem extreme, but I'm a strong believer in quality over quantity. What Disney did with Star Tours and Test Track, I like that! I want more of that! And by the way, this is coming from a young person (I'm 21). This situation is a lot more dire than you might think, not in the short term, but in the long term... More and more people in my generation are growing up with a preference to Universal, and it's going to show once they're old enough to take their kids to one of the parks...

bubbles1812

Then either do massive Star Tours/Test Track style refurbs or outright replacements of the following attractions:

-Stitch
-Universe of Energy
-Figment
-Captain EO
-Dinosaur
-Everything in fantasyland (I did not grow up "back in the day", I have no nostolgia for the ancient rides there)
-tomorrowland speedway
-Buzz Lightyear

This may seem extreme, but I'm a strong believer in quality over quantity. What Disney did with Star Tours and Test Track, I like that! I want more of that! And by the way, this is coming from a young person (I'm 21). This situation is a lot more dire than you might think, not in the short term, but in the long term... More and more people in my generation are growing up with a preference to Universal, and it's going to show once they're old enough to take their kids to one of the parks...

Wow. I agree about quality over quantity and I'd love to see them do some of the things you suggested but I do think you are a bit to the extreme, as you admitted, especially when it comes to some of the things in the Magic Kingdom. I'm 24...so not much older than you and I have nostalgia for those rides. I know others my age and yours who feel the same way so I think you are generalizing a bit. But maybe your experience has been different. I think with regards Fantasy Land, if they just did a massive overhaul of the whole thing and got rid of the older rides...I don't think many people would feel Disney was Disney anymore. Some of those rides define Disney World to many people and if Disney announced all that was going away, I think shi* would hit the fan from the majority of people. And don't take away my Figment ;) (I'm in the minority I know but it's one of my favorites...I loved the old version before they overhauled it too). But yeah, a ton of stuff at Epcot could be reworked though I think Nemo is so popular that will never go away.

That being said, I do agree with you about Universal being more innovative recently with regards to rides. I love their rides and love what they've been doing since Potter 1.0 opened. I've said before and still maintain that the biggest mistake Disney has made in recent years was not bidding enough for the rights to Potter. They are taking a bigger chunk out of Disney's profits than they have previous. I had an earlier post in this thread saying Disney needs to do more to bring in the older crowds. Disney is always going to be about families but I don't think they want to be known as 10 and under only. I suspect that eventually (if the management aren't morons...that might be a big if), Disney might eventually consider building a 5th park more centered on thrill rides. Or at least if I were running the parks, that's what I'd be doing. And in the mean time, yes definitely they should be looking to put in new rides in some of the least popular attractions that no one would miss and dead spaces in the parks, of which there are quite a few.

**I also am one of the minority who wouldnt mind seeing Avatarland. I didn't think the movie was the best movie ever by any means but what I saw on screen has the potential to generate some really cool rides.

Epcot-Rules

Universal is playing it really smart right now. Who can compete with Disney when it comes to young kids liking their Mickey Mouse and Princesses? So why compete with them for this crowd. Instead what happens when the kids get a little older and say Disney is a little too cute for me, I want action and high thrill. They turn to Universal and Six Flags. I know I don’t let my young kids watch Harry Potter, Transformers and Spiderman yet, but once they are old enough there is no way they are going to choose Disney over Universal. I’ve already seen this in other families going to Disney for older kids is almost embarrassing for them to tell their friends. A lot of families don’t like traveling with the 0-8 year olds and preteens to teens is a great time to take memorable vacations. Universal can steal this market right now and Disney will have no way to catch up because it is ingrained in everyone’s mind that Disney is the cute, magical place for little kids and Pixie Dust. There is only one thing Disney can do if it wants to compete and it’s not to add more high thrill rides to its existing parks, those parks are already branded little kids (with the exception of Epcot which is branded old person). They need to start fresh with a new type of park that is all about high thrill and goes after the preteen/teen crowd or just not worry about it and be content knowing that new families will go to Disney, progress to Universal and it starts over again when the Kids grow up to have their own kids.

This is so accurate, I have 3 boys, 17, 16, and 13. They want to go to Universal, Busch Gardens, Sea World, and Six Flags. Disney is for little kids, thats what they tell me. It's me and the wife that like Disney. Uni is defiantly on the right track marketing to the older kids.

djkidkaz

This is so accurate, I have 3 boys, 17, 16, and 13. They want to go to Universal, Busch Gardens, Sea World, and Six Flags. Disney is for little kids, thats what they tell me. It's me and the wife that like Disney. Uni is defiantly on the right track marketing to the older kids.

Do you guys not see what your saying? Basically your praising Uni for getting the teen market. Look what that did to Six Flags. You even said yourself Disney is for you and your wife. Uni will eventually lose those teens as they get older and can't ride the coasters like they used too and have kids, etc. Uni gets their guests at the worst time of their lives. Teens generally don't have money to blow, they'll share meals, etc.

John

It almost sounds like you went to Universal just looking for flaws. When you appreciate both Uni and Disney as much as I do, you can see what Disney does better and what Uni does better clear as day.

Disaster Studios makes the backlot tour look like a joke. Terminator and Shrek knock all of WDW's 3d shows out of the water (EO, philhar magic, tough to be a bug). Kali River Rapids pale in comparison to Universal's equivalent. Harry Potter's theming is better than any themed land at Disney World. Spider-man doesn't even have a comparison.

To someone like me, comparing the two for how much money they make or how many guests they attract to the parks each day mean nothing. All I compare about is the guest experience and the attractions. And in that front, Universal is currently giving Disney a spanking IMO. More isn't always better, and I think that's Disney's problem right now. Stop all the expansions and improve what they have. Cancel Avatarland (as much as I would love to see it someday, yeah I'm in that minority who loved Avatar). If I could go back in time, I'd cancel the fantasyland expansion too. Then either do massive Star Tours/Test Track style refurbs or outright replacements of the following attractions:

-Stitch
-Universe of Energy
-Figment
-Captain EO
-Dinosaur
-tomorrowland speedway
-Buzz Lightyear

I dont think these comments should be over looked or dismissed. Although IMO a few of the comments maybe over the top. But he is absolutely correct in his statement about when "he has children" This generation is what Disney should be focused on. The demo that will be paying the bill come 10-15 yrs from now.

AEfx

I think it's great there will be more competition down in Orlando. As a child, we used to go to Disney/UNI/SW at least once a year (early 90s-2000) and Disney was always light years ahead of the Universal.

Fast forward 2010 - I took my own children down to Disney for Christmas. I was a little disappointed there were no real significant changes in a decade other than pricing and a few attractions. Although the kids enjoyed it, and we had a blast (enough to go back for Star Wars weekend in 2011, and Christmas 2011). I think we will be spending significantly more time @ other parks. I just don't think there's enough investment going towards new attractions to justify dropping thousands for repeat visits.

Hopefully Disney will step their game up soon and make the parks more exciting again!

It's so true.

WDW has been relatively stagnant since the turn of the century.

Now, some one will post, "What about TSM??!! What about Everest??!!" like they are programmed by Disney PR, who thinks a new parade overlay or Meet & Greet is some new exciting attraction. I mean, this is the company that hasn't had anything new to peddle in so long the last marketing campaign had to do with "memories" - of back when Disney used to be the top dog in surprising and impressing.

I love WDW, always will. But it's starting to feel like a big giant time capsule. The stuff they do add, either isn't impressive or doesn't work. The only real large-scale attraction added (Everest) is an embarrassment.

As much as I adore what Fantasyland is getting, as we will finally have a real Fantasyland, nothing is singularly impressive. It's all neat, I can't wait for it all - but in terms of theme park rides, there is nothing that is going to win "Theme Park Ride of the Year".

It's really sad that Disney has let itself slide like that - say what you will about Eisner, but the man made sure there was a consistent flow of state-of-the-art attractions, which the current management has not brought us anything remarkable since the dawn of the century.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom