Polynesian DVC?

Sharkreef11

Original Poster
This may have been asked before, but is there any talk if the Polynesian will ever join DVC? Or any thoughts? I know if that went on sale I'd buy in right away.

llrain

there are no rumblings about it but mark my words, it will happen.
Its just a matter of time. Its now the only lake resort without dvc.
they will do it.
I think more people will be more interested in Poly DVC than GF dvc.
I know I am

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The only problem is where to put it. GF had room for an expansion. The Contemporary had to demo a garden wing and build a second high rise. Neither option seems to be viable at the Poly.

goodanu

The only problem is where to put it. GF had room for an expansion. The Contemporary had to demo a garden wing and build a second high rise. Neither option seems to be viable at the Poly.
Looking at the resort on google maps, you can get a good idea of the layout and space available. The right side there is none, the left side looks like a small wing could be do-able but would affect the present layout, taking rooms from the resort and affecting Luau Cove.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Looking at the resort on google maps, you can get a good idea of the layout and space available. The right side there is none, the left side looks like a small wing could be do-able but would affect the present layout, taking rooms from the resort and affecting Luau Cove.
Correct. There is just no "good" place. The other thing to consider is aesthetics. The height of the existing buildings is fairly low. Anything over 4 -5 stories would look incredibly out of place next to the existing resort.

dizzney

Probably why it hasnt been done yet. They cant figure out where to do it, of course they may be able to carve out some space at T&TC by the Poly to do it, but it would have to be small and low to fit with the rest of the Poly.

Sharkreef11

Original Poster
Is there a possibility of them just converting a current block of rooms they have into DVC? Not sure if that is logical or not. I just can't see them not turning the Poly into DVC, but like many have pointed out there truly is a space issue.

bgraham34

Is there a possibility of them just converting a current block of rooms they have into DVC? Not sure if that is logical or not. I just can't see them not turning the Poly into DVC, but like many have pointed out there truly is a space issue.

That certainly could be a possibility. But how many rooms would it get them is the question.

goodanu

I certainly hope they don't do this for the sake of having DVC at the poly.
My hope is if they do something here it is done as Yoda said, to keep it in line with the rest of the resort. To me this resort is the Disney GEM. Do it right (if possible) or just leave it alone.

tjkraz

The Poly is consistently at 100% occupancy and cash rooms are still far more profitable in the long run than DVC. IMO, that makes any conversion unlikely. Disney's historical trend has been to either build a new structure for villas or to use the conversion / replacement approach at resorts where occupancy was lagging (Disney Institute, Contemp Garden Wing, Animal Kingdom Lodge.)

Complicating matters is the age of the Poly. The only direct conversion was Animal Kingdom Lodge, which was less than 10 years old at the time. Poly is 40+ years old and 50-year DVC contracts would make the facility nearly 100 by the time ownership ended.

Personally I think the most sensible approach is to essentially re-build the entire Poly over the course of several years. They could come up with a better resort design which makes more economical use of the land while adding DVC villas. It doesn't have to be a 16-story high rise like Aulani in Hawai'i. With a virtually blank slate and the distinctive Hawaiian theming, the possibilities are endless.

But given the 9-figure investment it would take to re-build, who knows if Disney is even considering such a plan. Disney invested millions in a renovation of the Disneyland Hotel without a complete tear-down. Of course, at DL they don't have 20+ other resorts to handle guest traffic during a significant closure...and they didn't put any 50-year DVC villas at the DLH either.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The Poly is consistently at 100% occupancy and cash rooms are still far more profitable in the long run than DVC. IMO, that makes any conversion unlikely. Disney's historical trend has been to either build a new structure for villas or to use the conversion / replacement approach at resorts where occupancy was lagging (Disney Institute, Contemp Garden Wing, Animal Kingdom Lodge.)

Complicating matters is the age of the Poly. The only direct conversion was Animal Kingdom Lodge, which was less than 10 years old at the time. Poly is 40+ years old and 50-year DVC contracts would make the facility nearly 100 by the time ownership ended.

Personally I think the most sensible approach is to essentially re-build the entire Poly over the course of several years. They could come up with a better resort design which makes more economical use of the land while adding DVC villas. It doesn't have to be a 16-story high rise like Aulani in Hawai'i. With a virtually blank slate and the distinctive Hawaiian theming, the possibilities are endless.

But given the 9-figure investment it would take to re-build, who knows if Disney is even considering such a plan. Disney invested millions in a renovation of the Disneyland Hotel without a complete tear-down. Of course, at DL they don't have 20+ other resorts to handle guest traffic during a significant closure...and they didn't put any 50-year DVC villas at the DLH either.
This is about the only thing that seems feasible to me as well. Ultimately, I think it will all come down to the math. The resort demo and reconstruction will cause them to loose X in profit. If that profit can be made back over an acceptable length of time and additional revenue be generated by the rebuild then it might happen. If not, then the Poly will remain as is.

disneyeater

This is what I think is the most likely scenario for a DVC Poly.

tikiman

They are expanding the resort toward the Wedding Pavilion and DVC will be going in. I expect to see it open by 2017.

tikiman

Since your sources there have never let us down, then I pretty much say this is near confirmation.

Thanks D.I.
I can't say how or who but it was confirmed that DVC is in the planning stages at the Polynesian.

They did look at putting it into Tahiti and Rapa Nui years ago and decided it would not work. The Test balloons reported on WDWMagic were part of evaluating the area for new construction and I am told it will be DVC.

Master Yoda,

I wondered the same thing. In all the discussions I have had I don't remember anyone mentioning anything happening to Luau Cove except to use it for serving food while the GCH was under construction but looking at the usable area over there it looks like it would have to move or be incorporated into the new structure.

Just me speculating, I see the Luau Cove going away and I would think that not only a building for the DVC rooms would have to go in but a lobby and maybe even another pool area. There is actually quite a bit of land over there. Things would just be split by the monorail line. They could also fill in part of Peepete Bay and even relocate Aotearoa towards the beach. Im just guessing now. I was asked for a few ideas and it will be interesting to see if they use any of them.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thanks D.I.
I can't say how or who but it was confirmed that DVC is in the planning stages at the Polynesian.

They did look at putting it into Tahiti and Rapa Nui years ago and decided it would not work. The Test balloons reported on WDWMagic were part of evaluating the area for new construction and I am told it will be DVC.

Master Yoda,

I wondered the same thing. In all the discussions I have had I don't remember anyone mentioning anything happening to Luau Cove except to use it for serving food while the GCH was under construction but looking at the usable area over there it looks like it would have to move or be incorporated into the new structure.

Just me speculating, I see the Luau Cove going away and I would think that not only a building for the DVC rooms would have to go in but a lobby and maybe even another pool area. There is actually quite a bit of land over there. Things would just be split by the monorail line. They could also fill in part of Peepete Bay and even relocate Aotearoa towards the beach. Im just guessing now. I was asked for a few ideas and it will be interesting to see if they use any of them.
I would tend to agree. Once you eliminate the luau cove you have a good size chunk of land to work with. Reclaim some of the lake and you have even more. Incorporating a new luau cove in to the new construction would also solve the problem of the shows being canceled due to bad weather.

bgraham34

I would tend to agree. Once you eliminate the luau cove you have a good size chunk of land to work with. Reclaim some of the lake and you have even more. Incorporating a new luau cove in to the new construction would also solve the problem of the shows being canceled due to bad weather.

That seems like the best thing to do, but that will also drive up the cost of construction and of course the cost to buy into the Poly DVC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom