Polynesian DVC?

Tom

Beta Return
Yeah, I mean, it's all relative. By that point in time, to stay at the Polynesian will probably be over $550 per night (if not more). My only point is, as we all know, Disney's resort rate increases don't jive with what most of us increase in salary. As time goes on, Disney is going to either have to start discounting the heck out of their rooms, or there will be a lot of empty rooms. That's where the future of DVC becomes interesting. What's the cost now - $18,000 to join for 150 points? In 5 years, figure what, $22,000? It's a big leap of faith on Disney's part, especially in this tricky economy and not knowing where we'll be in just a few years time.

Disney increases prices because they can though. If points weren't selling at the current rates the they would be the price that they are. So time will tell how Disney prices their rooms, points, etc.

Both sides of this coin are true. Disney DOES increase costs, because demand continues to support it. But they could also be doing so to offset the lost revenue on their continued lack of "No Occupancy".

Eventually, though, they will hit the ceiling.

captainkidd

Eventually, though, they will hit the ceiling.

I often wonder about that. Just how high can rooms at the Polynesian and Grand Floridian go? At what point will people say, "Enough is enough?"

Speaking for myself, I love both resorts, but I'm done staying there. $500-$600 per night. No thank you.

tikiman

I often wonder about that. Just how high can rooms at the Polynesian and Grand Floridian go? At what point will people say, "Enough is enough?"

Speaking for myself, I love both resorts, but I'm done staying there. $500-$600 per night. No thank you.

I think a lot of people have said enough is enough but Disney knows there are people that don't have to worry about money like I do and they will pay what ever they ask.

Sharkreef11

Original Poster

Yeah I agree. That kind of money is just too hard to swallow. I think that's why my parents decided to go DVC because of the family size, and love of staying at Deluxe resorts; Knowing that we will be going annually. I have dreamed of staying at the Poly and make a point to check it out every time we are in WDW. I plan on jumping at the Poly when it comes available knowing with my growing family we will utilize our points to the max.

Annielkd

I already have a DVC program with enough points... but, I'd probably want to purchase the minimum shares in order to have my "home" resort so I can book early. I've never stayed there, but would love to. This would be the only way I ever would. Let's hope it is done by 2017.... that's a long way away :)

tjkraz

Yeah, I mean, it's all relative. By that point in time, to stay at the Polynesian will probably be over $550 per night (if not more). My only point is, as we all know, Disney's resort rate increases don't jive with what most of us increase in salary. As time goes on, Disney is going to either have to start discounting the heck out of their rooms, or there will be a lot of empty rooms. That's where the future of DVC becomes interesting. What's the cost now - $18,000 to join for 150 points? In 5 years, figure what, $22,000? It's a big leap of faith on Disney's part, especially in this tricky economy and not knowing where we'll be in just a few years time.

DVC has been burned in the past...most obviously with Bay Lake Tower. BLT started selling in September 2008, just a few weeks after the stock market collapse and banking crisis.

In the lead up to BLT sales start there were rumors of $150+ price points. They announced at $120 with modest incentives. Within 6 months prices were down around $90 per point with incentives because they were so desperate to keep selling.

Selling DVC isn't like selling a churro or a t-shirt. Disney can't change prices on those items on the fly. But they can with DVC points.

The economy is too unpredictable to provide any real obstacle. No they really don't know what things will look like in 3 or 4 years. But it's a "hope for the best" situation.

As for things like hotel room rates and park tickets hitting a ceiling, that's a completely different matter. And your guess is as good as mine. :(

I do think that as time goes on, we constantly reach a point where new guests "discover" the Disney parks, see the current prices and really don't know anything other than what it is at that point. You and I may have a frame of reference that dates back to sub-$100 Deluxe rooms and $25 ticket books. Others will never know anything other than $400 rooms and $300 MYW passes. And if they're willing to pay the prices, the turnstiles keep clicking.

Tom

Beta Return
DVC has been burned in the past...most obviously with Bay Lake Tower. BLT started selling in September 2008, just a few weeks after the stock market collapse and banking crisis.

In the lead up to BLT sales start there were rumors of $150+ price points. They announced at $120 with modest incentives. Within 6 months prices were down around $90 per point with incentives because they were so desperate to keep selling.

Selling DVC isn't like selling a churro or a t-shirt. Disney can't change prices on those items on the fly. But they can with DVC points.

The economy is too unpredictable to provide any real obstacle. No they really don't know what things will look like in 3 or 4 years. But it's a "hope for the best" situation.

As for things like hotel room rates and park tickets hitting a ceiling, that's a completely different matter. And your guess is as good as mine. :(

I do think that as time goes on, we constantly reach a point where new guests "discover" the Disney parks, see the current prices and really don't know anything other than what it is at that point. You and I may have a frame of reference that dates back to sub-$100 Deluxe rooms and $25 ticket books. Others will never know anything other than $400 rooms and $300 MYW passes. And if they're willing to pay the prices, the turnstiles keep clicking.

Good points.

Since Uni keeps their ticket prices in line with WDW, there's no way to argue the cost, unless you argue against both of them.

And with visits to the parks, numbers of meals eaten on property, and the amount spent on souvenirs varies based on the economy, DVC provides a steady stream of income no matter what. It's sort of like their Plan B for Cash Flow.

captainkidd

See, I've never had a problem with ticket prices. Even AP's, at over $500, aren't a bad deal for what you get. For me at least, Disney is reaching a breaking point with the Deluxe Resorts. Like I said, already have with the GF and the Polynesian.

wdwfan100

2017. Well thats 5 years to save. There is an upper limit of cost though. I do already have DVC so my need to buy at the poly would be tempered by the price point. If its $175/pt I would have to think long and hard as to the benefits I would receive from such an investment. Either way. I am excited at the possibility. :)

Tom

Beta Return
2017. Well thats 5 years to save. There is an upper limit of cost though. I do already have DVC so my need to buy at the poly would be tempered by the price point. If its $175/pt I would have to think long and hard as to the benefits inwouod receive from such an investment. Either way. I am excited at the possibility. :)

Yeah, after buying 200 SSR points on clearance for $94/pt, it's hard to even consider what some of these new ones will run. I'd love to own Poly DVC, but I think it's a pipe dream for me.

Annielkd

I wish they didn't have a manditory amount of points you need to buy. I think 5 years ago you could purchase 50 points if you wanted. I think now it's 100 or 120 points. I already have 220 points, I don't really need that many more. But, I'd love to get some from the Poly (when/if they have it) so I could go. Since we already have DVC we don't purchase packages even when they are on sale. I wished I had stayed there a few years ago... but, we picked Beach Club. The point conversion to stay at the Poly is way, way too high.... so the only way to go is if they build a vacation club there.

Pioneer Hall

I wish they didn't have a manditory amount of points you need to buy. I think 5 years ago you could purchase 50 points if you wanted. I think now it's 100 or 120 points. I already have 220 points, I don't really need that many more. But, I'd love to get some from the Poly (when/if they have it) so I could go. Since we already have DVC we don't purchase packages even when they are on sale. I wished I had stayed there a few years ago... but, we picked Beach Club. The point conversion to stay at the Poly is way, way too high.... so the only way to go is if they build a vacation club there.

Those large mandatory amounts are only for new buyers. If you are adding on then I believe the minimum is only 25 points.

Sharkreef11

Original Poster
Those large mandatory amounts are only for new buyers. If you are adding on then I believe the minimum is only 25 points.

Isn't it true though that if you had say 200 points at Saratoga, then; buy 25 from Polynesian, that the only points you'd be able to use at the 11 month booking mark for the Polyneisan is the 25? Then when the 7 month mark comes around, you get to use the remaining 200 that are from Saratoga for the reservation at the Polynesian?

Tom

Beta Return
Isn't it true though that if you had say 200 points at Saratoga, then; buy 25 from Polynesian, that the only points you'd be able to use at the 11 month booking mark for the Polyneisan is the 25? Then when the 7 month mark comes around, you get to use the remaining 200 that are from Saratoga for the reservation at the Polynesian?

That is exactly true....which is what makes my decision even more difficult.

I would only be able to afford a useful Poly contract if I could unload my SSR and not take a loss. I'd put that toward a new Poly contract. Granted, at 200 pts (assuming that's what I'd buy again), I'd never be able to stay a week at the Poly unless I went every 2 years, but I could still stay anywhere else at 7 months.

Phonedave

Disney increases prices because they can though. If points weren't selling at the current rates the they would be the price that they are. So time will tell how Disney prices their rooms, points, etc.

Well, they increase them to earn an acceptable return on construction expenses, land usage, and non-member reimbursed administration.

Yes, they are going to get the price per point as high as they can nd still hit their target of roughtly 3 years to sell out a resort. But construction prices do move around.

The other thing that DVC can do is adjust the total number of points in the resort (within reason). They can make an average night 15 points and sell the points for $100 each, or make the average night 10 points and sell the points for $150 each. Of course they can't vary too far, otherwise it screws up the other resorts when people trade. No fair making a resort 1,000 points a night, and selling them for a buck each and then making those points equal to other DVC properties when they stay in a non-home resort.

I'm sure the financial wizards at DVC have all of this modeled and can run different sceanrios involving interest rates, cost of capital, GAPP, inflation, and a host of other metrics whenever they want and have it spit out a recommened number of points and price per point. (Of course the Aulani model was broken)

-dave

PhilharMagician

Yeah, after buying 200 SSR points on clearance for $94/pt, it's hard to even consider what some of these new ones will run. I'd love to own Poly DVC, but I think it's a pipe dream for me.

The pricing has increased sooooo much. I paid $71 per point for SSR and I thought that was high at the time.

I look at the $130 per point mark now and just do not understand how they sell at those prices. Then look at people in Grand Villas for a week and just wonder. :rolleyes:

PhilharMagician

I would only be able to afford a useful Poly contract if I could unload my SSR and not take a loss. I'd put that toward a new Poly contract. Granted, at 200 pts (assuming that's what I'd buy again), I'd never be able to stay a week at the Poly unless I went every 2 years, but I could still stay anywhere else at 7 months.

Booking @ 7 months out many times does not get you where out want to stay. BCV & WLV are the toughest ones that I have found to book. It has gotten much worse booking over the past 6 - 7 years now that there are a lot more VDC owners out there fighting for the best resorts and it will only get worse.

If you really want to stay at the Poly every trip, then buy points there. At $94 per point, I unfortunately do not think you will be able to break even since resales are selling around the $65 mark right now.

Sharkreef11

Original Poster
Booking @ 7 months out many times does not get you where out want to stay. BCV & WLV are the toughest ones that I have found to book. It has gotten much worse booking over the past 6 - 7 years now that there are a lot more VDC owners out there fighting for the best resorts and it will only get worse.

If you really want to stay at the Poly every trip, then buy points there. At $94 per point, I unfortunately do not think you will be able to break even since resales are selling around the $65 mark right now.

Yeah my parents are members through Saratoga. Luckily they still allow my wife and I to tag along on their wdw trips. Saratoga isn't really our favorite so we do everything possible to stay at either Beach or Boardwalk. One thing we found is time of year changes availability. We have been finding Beach club available at the 7 month window for trips in November since it is a slower time.

Sharkreef11

Original Poster

That is a tough situation. At least we have about five years to do some planning. :animwink:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom