Little Mermaid Ride Adjustments

Pixiedustmaker

Here's another. The buildings have the same overall dimensions, with a little extra room in the back corner of the MK's building.

lm-+dca-mk.png

The rides with have the same layout, at the same size.

Well . . . there is a good chunk of extra space in the WDW version, and WDW's is clearly "wider" according to the other photos, maybe by about 6-10 feet, and the dimensions are different in terms of shape, though maybe because they needed to keep the 20,000 subs wall. The lengths are comparable.

However . . . the loading area for WDW's LM may be significantly closer to the front of the show building, LM in DCA has a couple rows of lines, this might not be needed in WDW due to the presence of the massive outside interactive queue, part of which is clearly air conditioned, if so, then yes, that would add to the total area available for the ride, another chunk of unused space.

I'll see if I can sketch the area from the different photos at the same scale and then compute the area, that would help give an idea of how much space is available for the ride.

In the extra space you could add something about as big as Ursula's lair in DCA. Even with DCA's layout, there is an unused chunk of space, perhaps used for maintenance of the ride, this might be housed elsewhere in MK.

If the rides turn out to be different . . . you can see why Disney isn't advertising this, less DLR think they got the short end of the stick.

*You missed the wall on the right of the WDW photo as some rock work is piled on top of the MK's mermaid . . .

Prototype82

Another widely-criticised element of The Little Mermaid ride has been its use of computer-generated animation in two places, depicting Ariel and Flounder swimming overhead near the beginning of the ride and later showing Ariel’s transformation from having a mermaid tail to legs.

This week these sequences will be replaced by traditional 2D animation, matching the style of the original film.
Isn't the point of making the characters 3D animation to make them look three-dimensional like the animatronics?

RAXIP

Well . . .

You must be related to jt04.

The two buildings are "clearly" the same width. The load area is located at the very edge of both buildings. The "extra rows" at DCA are under the blue roof. The space to the right at WDW (under the rockwork) is for Ariel's M&G

Here you can see how everything lines up exactly the same way in both buildings.
lm-+dca-mk2.png

lm-+dca-mk3.png

Pixiedustmaker

The two buildings are "clearly" the same width. The load area is located at the very edge of both buildings. The "extra rows" at DCA are under the blue roof. The space to the right at WDW (under the rockwork) is for Ariel's M&G

Here you can see how everything lines up exactly the same way in both buildings.
lm-+dca-mk2.png

lm-+dca-mk3.png

Looking at your photos, you can see that the MK's show building is about five feet wider. It may not look like much, but added up given the length, its extra square footage. The buildings are not exact duplicates. The red lines are wrong for the length on MK's LM building as well as there is rock work on the show building, you can see the line where the wall of the show building is between the rocks. Not trying to be rude, just pointing out what looks like is obvious in the photos.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating . . . when the ride video for MK's LM is put online, I think there will be a lot of interesting comparisons.

Mike730

I hope all of the people who made informative and very convincing arguments to disprove the theories made by pixiedustmaker simply ignore the thread at this point. We're not disagreeing because we want to, we're disagreeing because we know its not true.

The buildings are nearly identical, the ride has been proven within concrete blueprints to be exactly the same, and the extra space being used from a break room or whatever is no where near the end of the ride (where everyone was hoping we'd get an extra scene). Also, on the scale of the ride building the 'extra five feet' would make very little difference. (maybe we'll get an extra cardboard fish or two....). As much as I had hoped this thread would bring to light the possibility of a better ride, and I applaud you for bringing it up, it just isn't going to happen.

All of us here are showing you a duck. It LOOKS like a DUCK. It QUACKS like a DUCK. It has a BEAK like a DUCK. AND it WADDLES like a DUCK. IT EVEN HAS LITTLE DUCKLING BABIES. ALL OF US HERE MAY WANT IT TO BE A SWAN, BUT IT'S A FREAKIN DUCK!!!!
If you want to start calling ducks swans, then to each his own I suppose.

Good job at proving him right, that the MK building is bigger. How about not claiming you know what the space is for, when it's absolutely not clear? No attraction between DL and WDW has been the same yet. So how about saving the doom and gloom for when you actually know what they're going to do with it?

Yes, they ORIGINALLY said it would be the same, but plans change. If we went by what they said originally, they wouldn't be building a 7 Dwarves rollercoaster.

ChristianG

Good job at proving him right, that the MK building is bigger. How about not claiming you know what the space is for, when it's absolutely not clear? No attraction between DL and WDW has been the same yet. So how about saving the doom and gloom for when you actually know what they're going to do with it?

Yes, they ORIGINALLY said it would be the same, but plans change. If we went by what they said originally, they wouldn't be building a 7 Dwarves rollercoaster.

Actually, the Mine Train coaster was in the very very original plans of the FLE, back before an official concept was released. Just Sayin'.

Anyways, as much as I wish they could use that extra space for an additional small scene, such as an improved Ursula death scene, the chances are slim to none with that. C'mon guys, I thought we were familiar with TDO's ways (CTRL + C + CTRL+ V)

Enchantâmes

Omg its going to be the same from after the loading area till you return to the loading area. Nowhere has it said they are changing the ride layout or adding scenes, so quit acting like they are.

Pixiedustmaker

I hope all of the people who made informative and very convincing arguments to disprove the theories made by pixiedustmaker simply ignore the thread at this point.

I guess we'll all see when the ride opens, though one scene we already know will be different—at least according to concept art, Scuttle will be in the queue, so presumably he won't be in a scene like in DCA where he's blabbering against a sunset, which is kind of a nice effect. In Florida, the interactive queue will have Scuttle's scavenger hunt, so what replaces Scuttle's opening scene in the ride, does it get scuttled? (Pun intended)

Even if the track layout/length is the same (which I have my doubts), what will replace Scuttle? Just a view of the beach at sunset?

I know it was reported in the papers that LM in Orlando wil be "identical", but who knows where that quote came from . . . I'm sure some PR folks in Disney would describe the HMs in the two parks as being identical, but with different queues, yet there are subtle differences.

A lot of the ending scenes in DCA's LM look . . . unfinished, or incomplete, and I can't help but wonder if a more complete version of the ride were be constructed in WDW as DCA's looks like the Cliff's notes version of something bigger and better.

If they do use it for a break room/storage, it's a pretty good sized chunk of real estate with a very tall ceiling.

*Edit, oops . . . found a story saying Scuttle book ends the ride in Florida and DCA. . . http://www./2011/07/scuttles-scaven...the-little-mermaid-ride-at-walt-disney-world/

The article hints/postulates that guests will also see Scuttle in the queue before getting in the clam shell . . . so would that be three total Scuttle AA's? Maybe just making a carbon copy was a bad idea as guests in line will see Scuttle, an then perhaps a couple minutes later . . . Scuttle overload.

SaolSona

In the LM ride at Disneyland.. does Ursula say, "Now sing" with Ariel's voice singing? Or is her voice just at the end? If not then it's a shame because I think the the moment where she gives up her voice should be depicted in the ride because it would give *a little* bit of credit towards the disappointing ending where the gets it back again.
I mean, clearly we all know the story.. it just doesn't flow as well in the ride.

Actually, the Mine Train coaster was in the very very original plans of the FLE, back before an official concept was released. Just Sayin'.

Anyways, as much as I wish they could use that extra space for an additional small scene, such as an improved Ursula death scene, the chances are slim to none with that. C'mon guys, I thought we were familiar with TDO's ways (CTRL + C + CTRL+ V)

Exactly what I'm talking about. DOOM AND GLOOM. DOOM AND GLOOM. Instead of a rational unbiased argument, it's capped off with a swipe at the TDO.

Lee

Adventurer
The small amount of extra space in the MK building is backstage.
The ride layout is he same for both rides. Any changes will be show related and relatively minor.

Ginzuishou

I haven't ridden the Little Mermaid ride, but I did watch it on YouTube.

Looks as though it just plunks you into different scenes from the movie leaving us to figure out what is going on.

If the ride was a lot longer it would have helped, in my opinion.

Buried20KLeague

In the LM ride at Disneyland.. does Ursula say, "Now sing" with Ariel's voice singing? Or is her voice just at the end? If not then it's a shame because I think the the moment where she gives up her voice should be depicted in the ride because it would give *a little* bit of credit towards the disappointing ending where the gets it back again.
I mean, clearly we all know the story.. it just doesn't flow as well in the ride.

The ride is definitely put together with the understanding you've seen the movie before and know the plot line. If you hadn't seen the movie and had only ridden the ride, there would be no way to tell what happens.

It's apparent to me they designed this more as a "greatest hits of The Little Mermaid" than to tell the whole story.

That doesn't bother me too much though... They're playing to the masses, which are by far going to be completely familiar with the movie.

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
The ride is definitely put together with the understanding you've seen the movie before and know the plot line. If you hadn't seen the movie and had only ridden the ride, there would be no way to tell what happens.

I agree with you. I don't think that's a bad thing necessarily though, since that is not unusual for Disney's dark rides.

Buried20KLeague

Exactly what I'm talking about. DOOM AND GLOOM. DOOM AND GLOOM. Instead of a rational unbiased argument, it's capped off with a swipe at the TDO.

I've seen quite a bit of rational, unbiased facts given to show the attractions will be the same... Including Disney being quoted as such. I'm not sure how that's "doom and gloom".

Instead, I would label it "realistic expectations".

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
I've seen quite a bit of rational, unbiased facts given to show the attractions will be the same... Including Disney being quoted as such. I'm not sure how that's "doom and gloom".

Instead, I would label it "realistic expectations".

Hey, I'm a (labelled) 'pixiedusted' person on here who believes there are a few (very few) 'doom and gloomers' on these boards who are constantly negative, but this thread is nothing like that...at all. As Buried20KLeague rightly points out, there has never been any indication from any reliable sources on here that the ride will be any different than at DCA, save a couple minor tweaks.

And although I appreciate all the photos, square foot calculations, and other math done on this thread, the truth is, it just doesn't add up to anything different than the DCA version.

devoy1701

It's apparent to me they designed this more as a "greatest hits of The Little Mermaid" than to tell the whole story.

That doesn't bother me too much though... They're playing to the masses, which are by far going to be completely familiar with the movie.

Isn't that true of virtually all of the classic dark rides though?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom