'Tough to Be a Bug' and Tree of Life trails closed due to urgent Tree of Life work

pax_65

Sometimes, things just happen and it doesn't have to be the end of the world.

This is true, and with the high winds in the area recently it's entirely possible this was weather-related and nothing more.

But the reason it's a question is because many of us have noticed maintenance cuts around the parks. Personally, I doubt they would go out of their way to do any maintenance to the tree (or anything else) unless it clearly affected safety or was obvious to the point where it affected guest satisfaction.

I notice a lot of things out of place in the parks but I don't remember ever looking up and staring at the tree (although I will the next time I go). Most other guests are probably the same way. So it would take a lot for something to get noticed - like a branch falling and hitting me in the head, for instance.

HMF

No kidding! Attractions just keep on getting knocked out one at a time. First big thunder mountain railroad, then test track, and now this... I really hope they reopen it before we go in May. :shrug:

Maybe they would not need to be knocked out if TDO would spend the money to maintain them.

Pioneer Hall

This is true, and with the high winds in the area recently it's entirely possible this was weather-related and nothing more.

But the reason it's a question is because many of us have noticed maintenance cuts around the parks. Personally, I doubt they would go out of their way to do any maintenance to the tree (or anything else) unless it clearly affected safety or was obvious to the point where it affected guest satisfaction.

I notice a lot of things out of place in the parks but I don't remember ever looking up and staring at the tree (although I will the next time I go). Most other guests are probably the same way. So it would take a lot for something to get noticed - like a branch falling and hitting me in the head, for instance.

I think there is a distinct difference though between an animatronic or effect not working over a structural failure like the tree.

Pioneer Hall

Maybe they would not need to be knocked out if TDO would spend the money to maintain them.

Even in the golden age that people like to speak so much about, attractions would close for months at a time for major refurbishments. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

JIMINYCR

Waiting to see new signage to appear at the beginning of the trail that leads to the Tree of Life : Hard Hat Area, Look up for Falling Branches .:cool:

HMF

Even in the golden age that people like to speak so much about, attractions would close for months at a time for major refurbishments. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Exactly and that's why they were always in top shape. Refurbs are good,

Pioneer Hall

Exactly and that's why they were always in top shape. Refurbs are good,

But your statement was saying that if TDO maintained them they wouldn't have to go down. So what are you actually trying to say? Or do we just have to get shots in at the company regardless of whether they are factual or not anymore?

G00fyDad

Wow. A branch fell off of the Tree of Life. That's it. Probably due to the weather. It did get to freezing temps and snow too this past winter right? Maybe a freeze/thaw fracture then high winds? These things happen. Does this conversation need to be this intense? :shrug:

TestTrack

But your statement was saying that if TDO maintained them they wouldn't have to go down. So what are you actually trying to say? Or do we just have to get shots in at the company regardless of whether they are factual or not anymore?

I believe he was saying that they generally didn't go down for "emergency" maintenance. Of course they went down for refurbs.

When you have BTM and TT down for refurbs and you still need to hit SM, EE, Dinosaur, Muppets, PoC, Soarin (New transfer) and a whole host of others if I really wanted to get picky then you know you've fallen behind.

Pioneer Hall

I believe he was saying that they generally didn't go down for "emergency" maintenance. Of course they went down for refurbs.

When you have BTM and TT down for refurbs and you still need to hit SM, EE, Dinosaur, Muppets, PoC, Soarin (New transfer) and a whole host of others if I really wanted to get picky then you know you've fallen behind.

You can see the response here...http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=4937800&postcount=42

The original post spoke about rides "being knocked out" like BTMRR and TT which are down for scheduled refurbs. There was no emergency that caused them to close. HMF then said that maybe they wouldn't get "knocked out" if TDO maintained them. However, rides have always been closed for lengthy refurbishments for as long as I can remember. Maintenance standards or not, these things have happened before and is nothing that has to do with the supposed monsters in TDO.

awhit066

Waiting to see new signage to appear at the beginning of the trail that leads to the Tree of Life : Hard Hat Area, Look up for Falling Branches .:cool:

Hey, the bugs would have had to hollow out the trunk of the tree to put the theater in there anyway right? Now you have to pick up a hard hat and a pair of glasses, no biggy, work it into the theming!

katarn112

Yeah, no kidding. I can handle an attraction or two being down every trip for maintenance, but they never are. Now for my May trip, 3 attractions are going to be down at once, and this is the last time I'll get to go for at least a few years. Oh well, I can handle this ride being closed.

ReganA

We were at AK Friday and it got pretty windy when the storm blew thru - the bamboo was clanking like wind chimes. On a maintenance note we were at MK Thursday when it was raining and I asked jokingly to the CM at the Frontierland train station if management was aware of the leaking gutters causing the huge puddle on the platform. He replied "yes probably, but they would just say it was part of the rustic theming and that would be their reason for not fixing it" along with the electrical tape wraped around the copper downspouts stopping the leaks. He was pretty funny and very nice, unlike the CM who was rude about us being 30 minutes past our FP window at SM earlier in the week. I understand the time is being strictly enforced now and to be honest it seems to be working well, but wow she was pretty unfriendly.

WEDMagic

I would say its a rare fluke, the structural design for high wind loads was/is very high. The tree itself made it through quit a few hurricanes in it short life... and has fared very well for that time.

captainkidd

Wow. A branch fell off of the Tree of Life. That's it. Probably due to the weather. It did get to freezing temps and snow too this past winter right? Maybe a freeze/thaw fracture then high winds? These things happen. Does this conversation need to be this intense? :shrug:

Shouldn't matter. It's not a real tree. You would think the symbol of one Disney's theme parks would be built strong enough to withstand hurricane force winds.

G00fyDad

Shouldn't matter. It's not a real tree. You would think the symbol of one Disney's theme parks would be built strong enough to withstand hurricane force winds.

Fair point. But... a bridge has expansion joints for alternating freezing and heat. I doubt they did this with the tree, especially the smaller tertiary branches. I even made the comment to my wife back when Florida did freeze up last winter saying that Disney better check things for stress fractures now since they may not have put much thought into the possibility of 20 degree weather. You cannot freeze something and then heat it back up again quickly without consequences. If you doubt me then take a glass mug and put it in your freezer for a couple of days. Then take it out and run it under hot water. Remember to not cut yourself on the pieces that fall into the sink.

However, the tree is 15 years old. Maybe there were enough gaps in the right places for simple corrosion to eat away at the supports for the branch. Whatever the case may be I'd like to think Disney is getting up there and checking the other branches.

wdw71fan

Fair point. But... a bridge has expansion joints for alternating freezing and heat. I doubt they did this with the tree, especially the smaller tertiary branches. I even made the comment to my wife back when Florida did freeze up last winter saying that Disney better check things for stress fractures now since they may not have put much thought into the possibility of 20 degree weather. You cannot freeze something and then heat it back up again quickly without consequences. If you doubt me then take a glass mug and put it in your freezer for a couple of days. Then take it out and run it under hot water. Remember to not cut yourself on the pieces that fall into the sink.

However, the tree is 15 years old. Maybe there were enough gaps in the right places for simple corrosion to eat away at the supports for the branch. Whatever the case may be I'd like to think Disney is getting up there and checking the other branches.

We never got THAT cold here over the last winter... Not once did I have to 'wrap my pipes'... only had one 'protect your plants' type of days.... I would be surprised if recent weather had anything to do with it..

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Thankfully it's just about a broken metal branch and not a branch landing on a guests head.

Probably doesn't come into it.

The trees stood for 14 years. So why drop now?

pax_65

I asked jokingly to the CM at the Frontierland train station if management was aware of the leaking gutters causing the huge puddle on the platform.

This is a good example of the kind of stuff I notice in the parks these days. It's just little junk, nothing earth-shattering - definitely not enough to ruin my trip. But IMHO there are a lot more of them today than there used to be. This is why I was curious to hear a cast member perspective - is it just my imagination, or is it a real trend?

I'm heading down in a few weeks... I wonder if the gutter will be fixed by then? If I happen to be there on a rainy day I'll check.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom