Orange Bird Back at Sunshine Tree Terrace in the Magic Kingdom!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TalkingHead

See above. No, the comments haven't suggested that the choice was Orange Bird or E-ticket, but they have said that we shouldn't be happy about this, and should hold out for something big (e.g., an E-ticket) instead, as if happiness/excitement is limited, and shouldn't be wasted on something so trivial.

I never said you shouldn't be happy about this.

Be happy about it. Be thrilled. Schedule your meet-and-greet with the Orange Bird six months in advance.

But temper the praise. Realize that when it comes to WDW, it's either budget-slashing underachieving or pandering to the die-hard fans. This is an example of the latter.

And it's the sort of thing that, for most people, is frivolous and does nothing to justify the price of a ticket to MK.

Strangeling

I will say that I have a very nice "control mouse" in my husband, whose experience with Disney parks did not begin until our 1990s era honeymoon in Disneyland, CA (it has since greatly expanded since then, particularly with our move to Celebration, FL). He was not familiar with the Orange Bird or any nostalgia behind him. Upon seeing Orange Bird, his response was basically "wow! That is adorable, I want him!" - and then after I filled him in it was "Hey, lets go get a sippie cup!" immediately thereafter. So - at least a few folks must be liking Orange Bird now first time around, with no connection to childhood memories, 1970s, etc. whatsoever =)

PS - anybody else notice that Orange Bird is "trending" on Twitter today for the Orlando area?

TalkingHead

So the "Disney Details" are not a big deal? Walt Disney World's history is not a big deal?

Details are great, when they're meaningfully added.

A new sign, merchandise and sippy cups hardly qualify as "meaningful" to me. Is there something else that I'm missing?

As for WDW history -- I guess I'm in the minority. I'd rather see a cutting-edge 21st century park than a watered-down 2012 pastiche of the 1970s MK.

jt04

I forgot to add that the new Legoland water park opens in less than 40 days so I think we can see clearly now why the Casey water play area is in test mode as we speak.

Seems everything really is connected.

I love that the orange bird is back but there is a way to please the theme park purists. Have the character around during the day and then allow Adventureland to be true to the theme in the evenings. Of course those flying carpets need to go at some point I think. And there are many places where they would be a better fit.

lazyboy97o

I really do see where you’re coming from. Not to derail, but isn’t Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom one of the most crazy examples of exactly the sort of thing you’re cautioning against? Characters out of place, video screens, people lined up looking at a wall, I could go on and on. The thing is, in context of what we’re discussing, whether or not the game is any fun or not (and I haven’t played it, so who knows, I might like it), there is the larger question of whether the parameters of design at WDW “permit” it.

I’d say, no, they really don’t. So SOTMK is a bigger issue than Orange Bird. At least Orange Bird has a bit of the gravitas of history behind it. You rightly point out that during his original tenure, there was more “meaning” behind it. There was a reason for him to be there, and that reason organically flowed from the actual building of the park. In this instance the reason flows from Nostalgia, and as I’ve said “meta-theming”, where self-reference becomes a sort of sub-theme in and of itself. At what point does the park become an Escher-loop, an endless topology? Why is Orange Bird there? “Well, Johnny, once there was a reason, now he’s just there to reference that reason. Mostly so Disney Nerds will stop and buy a shirt. They’ll explain what it used to mean to others, and we’ll sell more shirts.”
I agree that Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom is a huge thematic issue. It essentially dismisses the very notion of the lands, and even the idea of a magic kingdom. It only works by recognizing that the Magic Kingdom is an artificial construct of The Walt Disney Company. Nothing special or unique, just another cog in a monolithic media machine.

But, the extent to which that approach is folded in to the current environment is an interesting debate, one that has actually spilled out into Suburban America as shopping malls and new developments try to “inhabit” architectural tropes from the cultural zeitgeist and create new places that aren’t new. Beyond New Urbanism, we’ve got malls trying to look like Italy, or the seaside, or other places. And again—this debate points itself squarely back at WDW and what they decide is appropriate. Or does it? I don’t know that people look to Disney any more for leadership in these matters.
I think the greater meaning is what distinguished places like Walt Disney World from the typical themed shopping center. At the mall, it is there as mere decoration. It is skin deep and goes no further. For those who have been to wherever, it may remind them of it, but that is just an extra. At Walt Disney World the story (in its broad sense, not a specific narrative) pushed beyond the skin and into something more meaningful.

What we’re seeing happen with CarsLand, Wizarding World,—and, probably AvatarLand represents, I think, where things are heading, entire lands thematically unified in this way. They’re the junior stepchildren of the approach taken in Asia and Africa. So, that sort of thing is happening.
I see the Wizarding World of Harry Potter as completely in line with the sort of theming that I hold paramount. One does not need to know the details of the series to understand what the world. I am concerned about CarsLand because of things like the Radiator Springs Racers costume. It comes across as just a giant toy set. Why does the Cast Member wear a shirt with all of the townspeople on it, because the land was built on toy sales and is one. This is by big criticism of Lasseter. I think he sees the parks as the same sort of fun he sees with toys, and likewise I think he ends up viewing the parks as toys, fun but entirely dependent on an external source of meaning.

So, it seems, I’ve come to the idea of Nostalgia as a theme. The idea is—rather than think “I’m in a jungle”, when sitting and looking around Adventureland, I’d think “wow, I’m in . . . Walt Disney World, as it was in 1971!” A strange—and yet in some ways for me, compelling thing to consider. What I wouldn’t give to see the subs in the lagoon again, for example. Or Horizons. I am yearning for a past that is receding as fast as Main Street was when Walt built Disneyland. Something odd and yet comforting to consider.
This is essentially what the Disneyland Hotel has become, but I do not think it makes for a lasting legacy. It may be neat and fun at first, but at some point it falls apart. It is what happened with architecture in the late-18th century through the rise of Modernism. The Renaissance's study of Classical principles devolved into the copying of forms. I think similarly, Cypress Gardens is a better example of what can happen. In its last years, it was all about being a walk down memory lane, to relive those prior trips to Florida, but eventually its loop as memories on memories fell apart. The connections to Cypress Gardens had becomes tenuous and people stopped coming. The site was only saved by doing something completely different, and even then the Gardens remain due to contractual stipulation, almost entirely untouched by Merlin and visitors.

It may not be physical, but it is like making photocopies of a photocopy, the quality slowly but surely degrades and eventually your better off with nothing. It may be fun and appealing, it may even work for years or decaes, it may even work forever, but it is a path I think is not worth risking.

puntagordabob

This! :wave:

Details are great, when they're meaningfully added.

A new sign, merchandise and sippy cups hardly qualify as "meaningful" to me. Is there something else that I'm missing?.

Seriously? Read this blog (not sure who's it is, but it tells a lot and shows a lot) http://www.omniluxe.net/wyw/stt.htm

4341967642_c7c6afa8cc_b.jpg

puntagordabob

Of course those flying carpets need to go at some point I think. And there are many places where they would be a better fit.

Yeah they do make the area seem so clausterphobic..... and agreed they could be moved somewhere else...perhaps to even one of the other parks...

Atomicmickey

I have thought about Cypress Gardens lately as WDW has been spinning its wheels with slogans like "Remember the Magic" and such. At some point, stop telling us to remember what a great time we used to have and start building a new legacy.

I think we'd agree that New Fantasyland goes "a little ways" in that direction, and I like what I'm seeing so far. But I, like you, am not sure that the company is committed to thematic continuity like they ought to be.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I have thought about Cypress Gardens lately as WDW has been spinning its wheels with slogans like "Remember the Magic" and such. At some point, stop telling us to remember what a great time we used to have and start building a new legacy.

I think we'd agree that New Fantasyland goes "a little ways" in that direction, and I like what I'm seeing so far. But I, like you, am not sure that the company is committed to thematic continuity like they ought to be.

MK has pretty well fallen off on that front, particularly in Tomorrowland. But the new FLand stuff seems promising, so perhaps they are returning to the theming some, in fits and starts.

I've said this in other threads, but the Orange Bird predates me. To some, his return to Adventureland may seem to be a cheap pacifier for die-hards in order to sell cups and retro souvenirs. For some, you may not see how he "fits" into Adventureland. But frankly, he was created in the beginning to be a sales icon. The Florida Citrus Commission (I believe that was the name) used the Orange Bird to sell oranges and juice, and the character became a spokesperson for not only the fruit but for The Florida Project. It's not like there's a ride or legitimate attraction inside Adventureland featuring this character, nor was there ever. I personally don't think such a character is anything less than the characters for Tropical Serenade/Enchanted Tiki Room. He was a relatively small icon for a snack counter. He sold stuff back then, so why not re-introduce him to a new generation and sell more stuff? Disney likes to sell stuff, you know. Even if they slapped Aladdin or Simba on everything, it'd be with the purpose to sell stuff. The fact we're getting a mascot with no established franchise but instead represents classic Disney theme park storytelling is a wonderful, thrilling thing.

How much effort, both financially and creatively, did it take to bring this icon back? Minimal, I'm sure. The Orange Bird is part of WDW history--whenever DL history is restored, does anyone complain? MK is already expanding with new attractions; are they as exciting or as plentiful as we'd like? Perhaps not. But griping over a historical sales gimmick which actually has a unique and creative background (Sherman Bros, people) unique to Florida's MK is pretty sad.

Communicore

They apparently put up the Orange Bird poster underneath the railroad. That poster obviously is from the 70's as there are no annoying carpets in the way of the area.

misterID

I'm sorry, who's telling people not to be happy? Who's griping that it's returned.

I know one poster said people were whining, but actually was refering to people who weren't in this thread, weren't talking about anything in this thread, and had absolutely nothing to do with this thread. They didn't "make up" something to argue about... They transferred comments from other threads, posters, boards, websites so they could specifically complain about negative whiners. OKay...

BrerJon

Yeah they do make the area seem so clausterphobic..... and agreed they could be moved somewhere else...perhaps to even one of the other parks...

They would be a great fit for DHS, which desperately needs attractions for young kids (see Toy Story Mania lines). Put it in the Animation Courtyard next to Voyage of the Little Mermaid and Disney Junior and you've got a real winner that fits into the theme too.

Tigger1988

I'm sorry, who's telling people not to be happy? Who's griping that it's returned.

I know one poster said people were whining, but actually was refering to people who weren't in this thread, weren't talking about anything in this thread, and had absolutely nothing to do with this thread. They didn't "make up" something to argue about... They transferred comments from other threads, posters, boards, websites so they could specifically complain about negative whiners. OKay...

You seem to be the one intent on "arguing." I wasn't aware we could only reference comments made in this specific thread and not comments made on this subject elsewhere. Thanks for enlightening me, you must be a new mod.

misterID

You seem to be the one intent on "arguing." I wasn't aware we could only reference comments made in this specific thread and not comments made on this subject elsewhere. Thanks for enlightening me, you must be a new mod.

No, I just can't figure out why people need to make up, erm, I mean, bring in comments from seperate threads just to complain about them. You weren't talking about the comments in this thread, or the debate going on. You made up an argument.

Not only are words being twisted around, there are fake arguments being made. This thread was actually very respectful, until fake whining posts started showing up. You know, you could actually respond to those when and where they actually happen.

People love the bird, great! have fun with that. No ones saying it shouldn't be there, which is where this conversation has been hijacked to, even though no one is "arguing" about it.

Expo_Seeker40

I have mixed feelings. Yes it's great that the little prop has been found and restored, but the actual sunshine tree prop was removed in 2000 I believe and was scrapped. They also used to be projection effects of happy orange thoughts above the orange bird. It has now come to the bird sitting static on a crate of oranges. Yes the birdie is back, but nothing to the extent it was.

As for the poster, there never was a sunshine terrace poster. It's just various artwork meshed together to make one fluid, "new" poster.

I just don't know...on hand I'm happy to see the bird back, on the other I see it as making a quick buck off fans. :shrug:

Kuhio

I think the two comments below, taken together, best represent my thoughts on the re-introduction of the Orange Bird: it was a relatively low-cost addition to the park that has the potential to really pay dividends in a number of different ways.

Despite the large volume of discourse on this board, I think the majority of visitors to WDW have no idea what the Orange Bird is. Certainly guests younger than 20 or so would not have any direct recollection of the character, and even most guests in the right age range won't have the built-in familiarity that most die-hard Disney fans have.

Of the thousands of people who pass through the Magic Kingdom each day and who come across the Orange Bird for the first time in the Sunshine Tree Terrace's signage, background, and merchandise, are these small additions likely to be a net positive, neutral, or negative effect? Frankly, I can't imagine that it would be negative to very many people -- most are either going to find it to be a cute and charming character, wholly consistent with the flavor of the characters and themes they've come to WDW for, or, at worst, neutral.

The fact we're getting a mascot with no established franchise but instead represents classic Disney theme park storytelling is a wonderful, thrilling thing.

How much effort, both financially and creatively, did it take to bring this icon back? Minimal, I'm sure.

He was not familiar with the Orange Bird or any nostalgia behind him. Upon seeing Orange Bird, his response was basically "wow! That is adorable, I want him!" - and then after I filled him in it was "Hey, lets go get a sippie cup!" immediately thereafter. So - at least a few folks must be liking Orange Bird now first time around, with no connection to childhood memories, 1970s, etc. whatsoever =)

Orange Bird is turning into the likable-but-unnecessary "Duffy" of the Magic Kingdom. I think its great for those who enjoy him. It also washes away some of the generic feel of a snack stand. But I do not and will never understand how many people obsess over a glorified advertisement. Orange Bird is not my cup of tea, but I wouldn't consider it a negative addition as long as some people like it. I'd rather see an obscure character tossed in somewhere rather than endless floods of Fab 5, Stitch, Tinker Bell, and princesses.

JWG

This is great for many reasons. But, most of all, it's nice to see some differentiation coming back to the parks. A food stand that has something unique to offer :eek:. Some theming that is not having a Pixar character crammed down our throats :eek:.

Yup, Disney hopes to make money of of it, duh. But, it brings a little unique fare both to the park and area and the offerings to guests. Nothing wrong with that.

What separated Disney from the competition was the details. Bringing back the details is what will keep them separated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom