Say.... What if Avatarland got cancelled?

WDW1974

Dang, I'd like to read that!

It's a shame Disney invests so much effort into controlling the spin. If they just delivered the product, they wouldn't have to worry about spinning things. Disney fans are loyal to a fault. If Disney fixed what was broken, fans would gush all over the internet with no need for hand-outs.

Heck, a lot of fans do just that even with things falling apart and no hand-outs. So just imagine what they would say if Disney actually invested in their parks.

THIS!!!

Just live up to your marketing MAGIC and then there's no need to use subversive means to try and control/lie to your most loyal of fans!

~Change is coming. BIG, SPIRITED change!~

WDW1974

I would really appreciate it if posters would leave their baggage from other websites behind. I really don't care about what is being discussed on other sites, and I'm sure they don't want threads carried over from here. Each website is run differently, and if you do not like the way one is being moderated, you have the option to go elsewhere, or even better, start your own and run it any way you please.

I REALLY had a very lousy day with a friend who is dying of overian cancer and asked for my help in planning her memorial and writing her obit. Usually, I keep my private life just that, but I want you to understand where I am coming from because I am going to be quite blunt 'Mom' ... I just don't care about such trivial crap as what seems to be brewing here. And I don't want to be painted as the one dredging up my past in the Laughing Place.

It appears to me that you are targeting me on this point without saying it. I have no desire to discuss what has (or hasn't) transpired on other websites, but I'm also not going to have an imbecile like JT poke and prod and lie about what went down and simply not respond when his posts sit for hours or days. I don't see why you have an issue with it being discussed period, but that's your discretion (if Steve and the other mods agree) and I respect that fully. But the issue of my alleged 'baggage' was brought up by someone else, who perhaps needs to take his focus off of me.

No one is complaining about your moderating, including myself (and I see you've taken some of my back and forth with JT out of the discussion).

You'll soon have things very easy as I won't be posting much more than another week before I head off for my five-week/top one percent European vacation ... I hope that gives you a bit of a vacation as well.

WDW1974

I still think that the question of social media and how it is used by TWDC is incredibly interesting. I read on the Adventurers Club thread here the other day about a post on the Disney Park Blog about the 5 top "adult night life" experiences at Disney Parks and Resorts (and they had to stretch it really as they included the cruise ships too to get 5) and how people were trying to get comments through they were making about Pleasure Island. Of course they didn't appear!

It is hugely interesting. We're all part of it every day. We can choose to be pawns or active paticipants. I tend to stay away from the Parks Blog unless someone points out some absurdity that way.

And it tells you how bad they are at their jobs if they had to include a cruise ship venue or venues ... how disengenuous?!?! You're staying at the Pop Century and looking for a night spot. How does it matter that 1,200 miles away there's a nice night club on a cruise ship ... really, what a freaking joke.

But this is the point of drowning out dissenting voices. D23 had a better quality, more newsworthy fanzine in Tales From the Laughing Place and just decided to get it shut down down.

That's the same thing as Duncan Wardle proudly touting that for every negative comment in cyberspace, Disney gets 18 positive ones ...

And they tried to play the social media game with Avatarland - a huge announcement on the blog and then that q&a opportunity with Tom Staggs for the people on the blog - which was so pre-scripted that it was embarrassing.

Now we have the reports about Iger looking less than pleased when asked about Avatarland during the Annual Meeting. Maybe he will learn that you can't just try to create happy emotions with your blog - people will expect you to deliver on your promises (even if personally I would not mind if Avatarland would never happen).

Nah, when I think Disney Parks Blog, I think DREAMS, WISHES AND MAGIC ... oh, and lots of spin ... lots and lots of spin ... getting dizzy ...:ROFLOL:

Hey, it sounds like you would have been able to add a really interesting perspective to that discussion! :) I lurk way too much as well (until a topic really gets to me), but intelligent discussion lives on people participating in it!!

I think some of the most intelligent posters often are afraid to wade into the crazy waters of discussion boards, but they should. They really should.

WDW1974

Are you alluding to the new Western River Expedition restrooms that have been greenlit for Frontierland?

For years I've savored the Tony Baxter artwork for those cowboy-boot-shaped toilets!

How'd you know?

BTW, have you seen the great tile work in the cowboy-themed Pioneer Hall restrooms?

One of my fave locales to conduct ... bizness.

The Mom

Premium Member
I REALLY had a very lousy day with a friend who is dying of overian cancer and asked for my help in planning her memorial and writing her obit. Usually, I keep my private life just that, but I want you to understand where I am coming from because I am going to be quite blunt 'Mom' ... I just don't care about such trivial crap as what seems to be brewing here. And I don't want to be painted as the one dredging up my past in the Laughing Place.

It appears to me that you are targeting me on this point without saying it. I have no desire to discuss what has (or hasn't) transpired on other websites, but I'm also not going to have an imbecile like JT poke and prod and lie about what went down and simply not respond when his posts sit for hours or days. I don't see why you have an issue with it being discussed period, but that's your discretion (if Steve and the other mods agree) and I respect that fully. But the issue of my alleged 'baggage' was brought up by someone else, who perhaps needs to take his focus off of me.

No one is complaining about your moderating, including myself (and I see you've taken some of my back and forth with JT out of the discussion).

You'll soon have things very easy as I won't be posting much more than another week before I head off for my five-week/top one percent European vacation ... I hope that gives you a bit of a vacation as well.

Excuse me, but I DID NOT target you, as you were not among those dragging things over from another website. If anything, I deleted posts that were attacking your behavior elsewhere. I am quite aware that you did not bring any baggage here, and someone else saw fit to do so. I was not blaming you in any way.

Yes, I did delete posts were the two of you seemed to be continuing an argument started elsewhere, but my actions were not specifically directed at you. Had I known of the problematic posts earlier, I would have dealt with them before an argument ensued. I do not have the time to read every post on every forum, so appreciate it when posters alert me to any trouble brewing.

Again, if you, or anyone, have a problem with the way this site is moderated, no one is forcing you to post here. But just as you do not like being falsely accused of certain behavior, neither do I.

I am sorry for your having to deal with the painful loss of a loved one...been there, done that too many times. Very recently, in fact.

WDW1974

Excuse me, but I DID NOT target you, as you were not among those dragging things over from another website. If anything, I deleted posts that were attacking your behavior elsewhere. I am quite aware that you did not bring any baggage here, and someone else saw fit to do so. I was not blaming you in any way.

Yes, I did delete posts were the two of you seemed to be continuing an argument started elsewhere, but my actions were not specifically directed at you. Had I known of the problematic posts earlier, I would have dealt with them before an argument ensued. I do not have the time to read every post on every forum, so appreciate it when posters alert me to any trouble brewing.

Again, if you, or anyone, have a problem with the way this site is moderated, no one is forcing you to post here. But just as you do not like being falsely accused of certain behavior, neither do I.

I am sorry for your having to deal with the painful loss of a loved one...been there, done that too many times. Very recently, in fact.

I am sorry too, I literally just received a note about what actually transpired so I realize what you were doing. Wish it would have arrived before I posted, but such is life and typical for today. I've just had a very $hitty day (sorry for that, but there ain't no nice word to describe it ... and I was hoping for some relaxing fun Disney discussion ... had no idea what little bizarre soap played itself out today).

You wanna come to Europe with me? :animwink:

The Mom

Premium Member
I am sorry too, I literally just received a note about what actually transpired so I realize what you were doing. Wish it would have arrived before I posted, but such is life and typical for today. I've just had a very $hitty day (sorry for that, but there ain't no nice word to describe it ... and I was hoping for some relaxing fun Disney discussion ... had no idea what little bizarre soap played itself out today).

You wanna come to Europe with me? :animwink:

Unfortunately, I have too many prior obligations - it's my busy "moderating" season IRL. :lol:

lebeau

There was drama?
And I missed it?

Damn.

~An agent of change?:cool:~

All you missed was a rerun. A very old and petty rerun carried over from another network. Mom's deletions were like changing the channel from one of my wife's reality show's on Bravo to a new episode of Mad Men.

(I really milked that TV thing for all it was worth!)

~Mad Men Land, anyone? And can I be Don Draper?

TalkingHead

~Mad Men Land, anyone? And can I be Don Draper?

Get there early for a meet and greet with Joan. Grab an Old Fashioned at lunch. Spend the afternoon at the Carousel of Advertising with important moments in Madison Avenue history.

Sounds better than DHS, already.

NoChesterHester

Twitter isn't the answer. (I find it an inane invention that likely is a sign of the upcoming zombie apocolypse):eek:

No one has real conversations in 140 characters. And to watch people (generally under 30 crowd) attempt to is mindnumbing.

The problem with Twitter and FB and all of these Disney Lifestyle sites/blogs is they do kill sites like this and they keep people from discussing legit issues ... they remove debate (it's sorta -- and PLEASE MODS CAN WE LEAVE THIS COMMENT AS A COMPARISON?! -- like when people on the far left get all their 'news' from MSNBC and people on the far right get all their 'news' from FOX. Neither side is hearing anything other than what they chose to believe to begin with.) ... You need discussion and, yes, debate and arguing. That's how people learn and grow and make decisions.

Being patted on the back and told how you're right all the time isn't really good for anyone.

With that said, I sure wish all the kiddies who got ticked off here and ran away in a huff to form their own dying site came back here (just be nice to Steve!:)) because nothing is gained by the fan community splintering ... the only winner -- and make no mistake about it, this is what they want -- is TWDC.

Your buddy Merf has adopted Twitter with a vengeance.

I think you are wrong here. The limit forces you to be succinct. Also, it isn't a one and done type deal. Intelligent conversations are really easy to have and track using the interface.

One can support the other...

asianway

Your buddy Merf has adopted Twitter with a vengeance.

I think you are wrong here. The limit forces you to be succinct. Also, it isn't a one and done type deal. Intelligent conversations are really easy to have and track using the interface.

One can support the other...

My favorite is when he brutalizes bloggers or unsanctioned CMs who think they are helping Duncan out...

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
There was a time, not so long ago, that I thought I knew everything about WDW. Friends and families wouldn't dream of planning a trip without my input. I know realize that I know NOTHING.
Thank you to 1974, Lee, NoChesterHester and others for your insightful, spirited discussion. Sometimes the bickering gets to me, but mostly I love it. It's going to be a quiet five weeks. Have a great trip 1974.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Disney isn't my life. I don't wish to blog about the Orange Bird ... or SotMK ... or the new rooms at Dixie Landings.
I get my opinions out just fine here and I get to interract with friends and other members of the Disney fan community. I enjoy that.

As to the mods ... well, I don't always agree with how they do their jobs, but they do run the site a lot better than TDO runs WDW, so that's something!:D

Sounds like a put down to those (bloggers) that do....Others read that stuff (and you must have too, to reference it) and find it informative-mostly 'cause we are so far away from any Disney park. So, in essence, you're also implying to everyone (including me), that reads about Orange Bird....or SotMK....or the new rooms at Dixie Landings, that we must not have much of a life. Couldn't be further from the truth (at least when it comes to me). Yes, I'm a Disney fan and like to hear all the news (the good, the bad and the ugly), but I don't need to hear a condescending remark that takes down a large portion of the Disney loyalists (especially those on these forums). That portion of your first line didn't need to be posted here.

WDW1974

There was drama?
And I missed it?

Damn.

~An agent of change?:cool:~

You are one of the biggest drama queens I know ... I swear I don't know how DD takes it. She is truly amazing ... a beautiful Spirit!:wave:

(oh, and apparently I missed it and jumped to a very incorrect conclusion -- part of what happens when posts disappear and you never knew they were there ... but I just had me a chicken bowl on the patio and am a bit calmer!)

Lee

Adventurer
Sounds like a put down to those (bloggers) that do....Others read that stuff (and you must have too, to reference it) and find it informative-mostly 'cause we are so far away from any Disney park. So, in essence, you're also implying to everyone (including me), that reads about Orange Bird....or SotMK....or the new rooms at Dixie Landings, that we must not have much of a life. Couldn't be further from the truth (at least when it comes to me). Yes, I'm a Disney fan and like to hear all the news (the good, the bad and the ugly), but I don't need to hear a condescending remark that takes down a large portion of the Disney loyalists (especially those on these forums). That portion of your first line didn't need to be posted here.

You misunderstand.
No one is putting anyone down for what they report or what they read. The fact is, for some of us things like new DL rooms and the Orange Bird aren't significant. We prefer other types of discussion and "News and Rumors". It's simply a matter of different tastes, and to each his own.

Far too often it seems that people try to find/take offense where there is none.

~An agent of SPiRITED change?:cool:~

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom