What's going on with Epcot Future World?

RSoxNo1

Which is exactly why FP should also be taken off Buzz Lightyear. They did it at DL and it runs far more efficiently, with lower wait times, than WDW’s version. Similarly, DCA’s version of the Little Mermaid rarely gets more than a 10-15 minute wait (WDW’s version will have longer waits because of…Fastpass!). Even Toy Story Mania at DCA has bearable 45-60 minute waits at busy times instead of ridiculous 120-150 minute waits at WDW due to the absence of FP. The two resorts could not be further apart in terms of how they operate.

Buzz Lightyear should also go seasonal for Fastpass, but that does generate waits fairly quickly as well. It's also a little easier to manage for Fastpass because it doesn't have the pre-show room that Haunted Mansion has.

As for Toy Story Mania, obviously Fastpass makes the standby line longer, but considering that DHS has 50% more attendance than DCA, a crappier attraction lineup, and the location of TSM is a 5 minute walk from the entrance (compared to 15-20 in DCA) it's not a fair comparison. The problem with Toy Story Mania is that it is a wildly popular, and wildly inefficient attraction.

Count me amongst those people that think Fastpass should be available for any attraction that regularly has more than a 20 minute wait, as such Toy Story should definitely have it. However, the issue in that park is that it's the only totally family friendly ride, and it only accommodates 1000-1200 people per hour. That's just bad planning.

This is why I keep insisting that the next addition to DHS shouldn't be something like the Monster's Inc Coaster, but rather another family friendly attraction that is also relatively low capacity (Under 1500) to help create a high demand, and help take the strain off of Toy Story.

steamboat wil

I was just thinking about future world. When TT goes down the whole left side will be pretty lame. Think about it. To a first timer there would be 2 pavilions closed (counting WOL). The worn out UOE show with 90's Ellen and Bill Nye, and M:S which to most people is hit or miss. What a shame!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I was just thinking about future world. When TT goes down the whole left side will be pretty lame. Think about it. To a first timer there would be 2 pavilions closed (counting WOL). The worn out UOE show with 90's Ellen and Bill Nye, and M:S which to most people is hit or miss. What a shame!

When Test Track was infamously late opening and Ellen went behind schedule, Horizons reopened. Shame WOL is in no fit state to do the same. Soarin will be a nightmare this summer.

RunnerEd

When Test Track was infamously late opening and Ellen went behind schedule, Horizons reopened. Shame WOL is in no fit state to do the same. Soarin will be a nightmare this summer.

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm all for updates and upgrades and the one on Test Track will be most welcome. However, when the Wonders of Life pavilion sits unused most of the year and underused when it is open and the Imagination pavilion is horribly lacking in imagination, TT can wait. I know they have a sponsor......

Question for people who are in the know on these things: Does Disney actively seek sponsors for attractions? There seem to be so many potential sponsors for both of those pavilions that having them sit like they is depressing.

aladdin2007

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm all for updates and upgrades and the one on Test Track will be most welcome. However, when the Wonders of Life pavilion sits unused most of the year and underused when it is open and the Imagination pavilion is horribly lacking in imagination, TT can wait. I know they have a sponsor......

Question for people who are in the know on these things: Does Disney actively seek sponsors for attractions? There seem to be so many potential sponsors for both of those pavilions that having them sit like they is depressing.

Ive wondered this too. I get the feeling they dont, its a weak department probably not even a department at all. Either that or their fees are just so outrageous from the getgo it scares off potential companies and prospects. They really need to retool the system, especially for World Showcase. This is why we dont have a new country by now, no one wants to pay Disneys requirement of millions of dollars for a pavilion plus fees and various shares of profit etc.

RSoxNo1

Actually the added FP to future world attractions may help Soarin' a little bit during the Test Track overhaul.

disney fan 13

Ive wondered this too. I get the feeling they dont, its a weak department probably not even a department at all. Either that or their fees are just so outrageous from the getgo it scares off potential companies and prospects. They really need to retool the system, especially for World Showcase. This is why we dont have a new country by now, no one wants to pay Disneys requirement of millions of dollars for a pavilion plus fees and various shares of profit etc.

hence why the only thing Epcot gets are interactive games, revived 3D shows and PIXAR...

Omnispace

the seas was great before nemo. ok, it needed some love, but it didn't need nemo. i was shocked when we went in after the refurb. such a shame. if they'd have just updated it but kept the original theme, it would have been much better.
i guess they just wanted to make use of that omnimover again huh?

When I heard of a omnimover "pre-show" being planned for The Seas and hosted by the Nemo characters I was very hopeful. There were some incredible scenes in Finding Nemo that did an amazing job of capturing the essence of the of the vast oceans. Going on a "field trip" with Mr Ray would have been a perfect introduction to the pavilion and would have updated it while maintaining the original concept. Instead we get a re-hash of the Finding Nemo story. While it might have been a pleasant diversion in Fantasyland, it's out of place in Future World.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The issue with the attraction is the length, not really the content. Theme park audiences have changed. Most don't want a 45 minute movie with a short ride thrown in. I bet if most were surveyed the dino part still polls well.

If they fixed it so it was good for the whole time the length wouldn't be an issue. If people can sit for 90-120mins for a movie, they can sit for 40+ mins in an incredible sensory adventure.

People complain about the length because they get bored and feel trapped. If they didn't neuter the damn thing it wouldn't be the same issue.

steamboat wil

I wonder if the disney execs have ever considered opening another attraction in the former WOL spot? Are they happy with just the spotty usage for festivals and private parties, or do they realize this pavillion would make EPCOT function a whole lot easier when there is a need for a refurb/rehab of the rest of future world?

WDWGoof07

M:S and UOE are two of the best attractions in Epcot, so I wouldn't go that far. (Though Test Track is even better...)

Admiral01

Premium Member
When I heard of a omnimover "pre-show" being planned for The Seas and hosted by the Nemo characters I was very hopeful. There were some incredible scenes in Finding Nemo that did an amazing job of capturing the essence of the of the vast oceans. Going on a "field trip" with Mr Ray would have been a perfect introduction to the pavilion and would have updated it while maintaining the original concept. Instead we get a re-hash of the Finding Nemo story. While it might have been a pleasant diversion in Fantasyland, it's out of place in Future World.

Agreed!

Gregoryp73

M:S and UOE are two of the best attractions in Epcot, so I wouldn't go that far. (Though Test Track is even better...)

UOE is a pure snooze....plus with a 45 minute show time, it eats up too much of ones day. I would love to see an updated ride go in there...lets see some emerging energy technology...The show building is huuuuuge so they can really do something special here.

And I would kill for a climate/weather pavilion (love to see this in wonders of life).

I'll be breaking open the champagne if/when disney finally puts this park back together.

NoChesterHester

UOE is a pure snooze....plus with a 45 minute show time, it eats up too much of ones day. I would love to see an updated ride go in there...lets see some emerging energy technology...The show building is huuuuuge so they can really do something special here.

And I would kill for a climate/weather pavilion (love to see this in wonders of life).

I'll be breaking open the champagne if/when disney finally puts this park back together.

It isn't like Energy isn't a relevant topic. They can do so much better.

aladdin2007

I wonder if the disney execs have ever considered opening another attraction in the former WOL spot? Are they happy with just the spotty usage for festivals and private parties, or do they realize this pavillion would make EPCOT function a whole lot easier when there is a need for a refurb/rehab of the rest of future world?

Im sure Imagineering has, but TDO could care less. They would rather have it for conventions and festival space etc and make money, instead of spending money on a grand new pavilion. :brick:

ctxak98

I personally would Like a updated energy show (with ellen) and then some new stuff in their. People say its a big waste of space but not everything has to be intense or moving. especially at epcot. Its more for educational experiences and I can say educational movies that have humor are awesome. And UOE does this pretty well. Its also a nice place to sit and relax when you get really hot. Im all for updated but the conept is fine....as for nemo....pixar doesnt fit with the future.:)

TropicalFig8

I'm just curious on how they'll handle the summer crowds when TT is closed and Soarin' is crazy. There's no way they'll reopen WOL. I'm planning a trip in June but I don't think I'll go near the Soarin' madness. :p

With UOE,it's an okay ride with Ellen but I still have love for the original. Do any of the kids of this generation know who Bill Nye is? I was on the ride one day and a kid next to me asked his mom who the guy in the lab coat was like a hundred times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom