Sorcerers of the MK (video)

jjnshane

Played this with my daughter yesterday. We were both so excited that we noticed the sign that it was open that we spent a good part of the day running around playing it. I know that several people mentioned the noise level, but what I noticed is that the speakers are pretty focused on one spot -- the emblem on the ground where you need to stand to play. We had to wait for our turn at one of the stations, and stood off to the side a bit (about 4 feet away) and while we could sort of hear the characters' voices, we really could not hear what was being said since we were not right in front of the screen. Also, depending on crowd level, I think they can turn off some of the locations that you are sent to. For example, one of the locations is in a restaurant seating area that is not used most of the time, but I would think that in the busy seasons when that area is open as a quick service they will make that station inactive.

As for the interactivity, it is more than just holding up a card to the screen. I liked it as a parent because it teaches map reading skills -- while my daughter knows The Magic Kingdom like the back of her hand, when given a map and had find a symbol on the map to go to next, she got a little turned around. Also, as the game is implemented fully, it will become a little harder (or maybe different difficulty levels that you can ask to be set to?) Right now any spell card you use will defeat the villain you are fighting (My daughter's favorite was Mr. Incredible’s train throwing spell) -- in the future I think you will have to choose your cards wisely – or be defeated. At the end of the day we had to turn our cards back in (only since it is still testing) but I can’t wait until it is fully open and we can keep our cards – My daughter is really excited to start collecting them. Can also see this being easily updated to add in new adventures (the information gets stored on your key card as to what adventures you have done) since it is all video screens. Unlike Kim Possible, where the effects are pretty permanent, this can change and grow over time.

As a local (and a VERY frequent visitor) I am thrilled to see that there is something new for us to do at the park. We don’t go on the rides very often as it is and generally just go to watch the parades and visit friends, so I think this is pretty cool. Will everyone get into it? Not likely – Like Kim Possible you can continue the journey and complete all of the adventures and that can take HOURS (there is more than one adventure in each land) and many may not want to spend all day going from place to place. Although I am told that te information gets stored on yor key card and you can pick up the adventure where you left off the next time you come back to the park.

Tip Top Club

Tomorrowland and Main Street's games have yet to come online, it sounds like Main Streets will be ready for grand opening with the rest, and tomorrowland will be the last to come online.

Sigmundooze

My enthusiasm for this is very low now. Kim Possible was integrated within the world showcase exceptionally well with unique themed elements, this is just generic tv screens in obvious locations. Not impressed at all. Very big step back IMO. It just gets worse and worse...

CountryBearFan

My enthusiasm for this is very low now. Kim Possible was integrated within the world showcase exceptionally well with unique themed elements, this is just generic tv screens in obvious locations. Not impressed at all. Very big step back IMO. It just gets worse and worse...

No. It just gets better and better! :)

zooey

To be fair Kim Possible uses screens to tell its story, it's just on a cell phone. It would be nice if your battles somehow changed or affected the scenery around you in some physical way, and who knows, that might be coming later down the line. Right now, I'm glad they went to as much trouble themeing and hiding the portals as well as they did.

disney fan 13

No. It just gets better and better! :)

I really can't tell of your being serious

I know will I do it, no will someone else do it and have fun, yes so I will hold my judgement
To be fair Kim Possible uses screens to tell its story, it's just on a cell phone. It would be nice if your battles somehow changed or affected the scenery around you in some physical way, and who knows, that might be coming later down the line. Right now, I'm glad they went to as much trouble themeing and hiding the portals as well as they did.

As I said, as long as MK doesn't turn into sorcerer kingdom with all the screens then I am ok

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
How is anyone finding this exciting? All you do is watch a video and half way through it you hold up a random card. That's it. Nothing more. The only interaction is you putting your arm out with a card. Your even told exactly where to stand! How is this Kim Possible 2.0? Nothing about it seems to improve on the idea. Atleast KP has physical props!

As I said, as long as MK doesn't turn into sorcerer kingdom with all the screens then I am ok

Ahh... people who don't like change. :cool:

(jk)

It looks GREAT!! Def. can't wait to do this!!!

-WondersOfLife

The last original pavilion. :king:

HMF

As I was expecting, I don't really like it. I feel that each individual land should have it's own individual game based on thematically appropriate Franchises without some overall backstory. This comes across as too silly and gimickey to me.

FigmentJedi

As I was expecting, I don't really like it. I feel that each individual land should have it's own individual game based on thematically appropriate Franchises without some overall backstory. This comes across as too silly and gimickey to me.

But they did pick thematically appropriate movies for the lands. Besides, not that gimmicky seeing as they've done villains uniting stories for the last twenty years. This is basically another direction of that with a "Kingdom Hearts without the tacky belts and zippers or Final Fantasy crap" route.

HMF

But they did pick thematically appropriate movies for the lands. Besides, not that gimmicky seeing as they've done villains uniting stories for the last twenty years. This is basically another direction of that with a "Kingdom Hearts without the tacky belts and zippers or Final Fantasy crap" route.

Yes but they really should have made each a separate game and used more appropriate land fits (franchises like POTC or National Treasure etc.)

zooey

The lands work their way into the story, though. Think of it as the villains visiting the lands all the same as the guests. It's not like Scar is somehow locked out of Tomorrowland just because a lion doesn't "belong" there. He can visit it just like anyone else. I honestly think they did a nice job implementing this for what it is.

HMF

The lands work their way into the story, though. Think of it as the villains visiting the lands all the same as the guests. It's not like Scar is somehow locked out of Tomorrowland just because a lion doesn't "belong" there. He can visit it just like anyone else. I honestly think they did a nice job implementing this for what it is.

Isn't that the same excuse they mad for Monsters Inc?

zooey

Isn't that the same excuse they mad for Monsters Inc?

Yeah, but that has actual real estate IN Tomorrowland, more permanent, prominent, and signage as well. I get what you're saying and I agree with you on a macro, major attraction level, but I don't have a problem with Disney villains in lands they don't necessarily blend with, especially when the actual story does make an effort to use Tomorrowland or wherever as a backdrop. Kind of like with any Disney fireworks show. All the Disney properties come together. Fantasmic in Disneyland does this big time, and that's right in the middle of the park.

A few more leaps have to be made for Monster's Inc. Why are the Monster's in Tomorrowland? They never really say. Or are we as guests somehow teleporting to Monstropolis? They never really say. The fact that Sorcerer's is meant to be a game within the Magic Kingdom itself, and not treating each land as being bigger or an entire world, or something more spectacular, but simply what it is: a land in the MK, I have less problem with that. It's a weird "meta" game. I'm guessing "Kingdom Keepers" was some inspiration for the game, since all of WDW is treated the same way in those books, with some real "magic" and mysticism thrown in, though I've never read them myself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom