Sorcerers of the MK (video)

Magenta Panther

I have to say that I'm a little disappointed that the game's plot revolves around Yzma, and seems rather silly. I thought it'd be a little cooler, given the game's logo. Oh well...

jjnshane

I have to say that I'm a little disappointed that the game's plot revolves around Izma, and seems rather silly. I thought it'd be a little cooler, given the game's logo. Oh well...

The overall plot does not revolve around Izma (at least when I played it didn't). Hades is trying to take over the Magic Kingdom by collecting magic crystal shards and is recruiting villains to help him collect them. Each adventure in each land you are fighting a villain from a disney movie that fits that land (Ratcliff from Pocahontas and Dr. Facilier in Liberty Square, Jafar & Scar in Adventureland, etc) but each time you are sent back to that land you fight a different villain and when you have defeated all of the villains that Hades has recuited (which can take a while since there are multiple adventures in each land) then you will take on Hades himself in a final battle.

WDWGoof07

How is anyone finding this exciting? All you do is watch a video and half way through it you hold up a random card. That's it. Nothing more. The only interaction is you putting your arm out with a card. Your even told exactly where to stand! How is this Kim Possible 2.0? Nothing about it seems to improve on the idea. Atleast KP has physical props!

My enthusiasm for this is very low now. Kim Possible was integrated within the world showcase exceptionally well with unique themed elements, this is just generic tv screens in obvious locations. Not impressed at all. Very big step back IMO. It just gets worse and worse...

My feelings exactly. The Kim Possible game is much cleverer than this. While some of the locations are well hidden (e.g. the "Wanted" poster in Frontierland), some of the others are glaringly obvious (the fireplace in the tavern). Worse yet, I fail to see how this is engaging at all. This is essentially an expensive version of the old Pokemon games for Game Boy. There is essentially nothing tangible at stake, and the payoff for accomplishing anything is underwhelming. The spy/detective angle and the ability to manipulate physical props makes the Kim Possible game in Epcot more believable and fun.

To be fair Kim Possible uses screens to tell its story, it's just on a cell phone.

That's one advantage Kim Possible has over the new MK game. It's a lot less obtrusive that way. The volume is way too high here, and the whole experience is so theatrical that it calls unwarranted attention to itself at the expense of the theme of the surrounding lands.

Kim Possible in Epcot was good, but this attempt to bring a similar experience to the Magic Kingdom is one expensive failure.

FigmentJedi

More videos here.
[YOUTUBE]UEHiCmMat9w[/YOUTUBE]
Jafar in Adventureland. Genie's helping you here and has Robin Williams' voice again apparently

[YOUTUBE]VQDF3rn_eGQ[/YOUTUBE]
Ursula in Fantasyland

[YOUTUBE]yfBImbAqYg8[/YOUTUBE]
Maleficent in Fantasyland

HMF

Worse yet, I fail to see how this is engaging at all. This is essentially an expensive version of the old Pokemon games for Game Boy. There is essentially nothing tangible at stake, and the payoff for accomplishing anything is underwhelming.

The Pokemon analogy is very applicable, The game is too easy and really does not seem challenging or satisfying. Not to mention it's over-use of video screens and convoluted back stories. As I said before I feel there should be separate games for each land with separate experiences that have nothing to do with each other.

FigmentJedi

The Pokemon analogy is very applicable, The game is too easy and really does not seem challenging or satisfying. Not to mention it's over-use of video screens and convoluted back stories. As I said before I feel there should be separate games for each land with separate experiences that have nothing to do with each other.

Please, it's not complicated at all. It's just Merlin and a bunch of guests fighting Hades and pals over magic crystals scattered around various Disney locations linked to parts of the park. This has absolutely nothing on Kingdom Hearts

In Kingdom Hearts, you have a villain that constantly body-snatches at every given point, whole light darkness and nothing dimensions and monsters applying to each, the main character having a bunch of freeloaders in his head and carrying the heart of another hero within him, and all sorts of crazy JRPG stuff you need flowcharts and wikis to decipher that all started as a simple "Let's romp through a bunch of Disney movies and fight villains as a Square-esque teenage boy"

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
You know that Wonders of Life wasn't an original pavilion, right? It opened in 1989.

Yes in a way it is. You can't say Test Track is an original pavilion because it replaced World of Motion. WoL never replaced anything. If a new pavilion was built in an empty space today, then that would be the newest original pavilion. When it opened doesn't matter.

-WondersOfLife

The last original pavilion. :king:

JimboJones123

Another bashing by people that are not the target audience of a Disney Parks product......ugh......

Seriously, I don't expect everybody to love The Country Bears, but for me, no trip is complete without it.

We all have different expectations for a Disney visit. I don't enjoy Food and Wine one bit. None of the food is good. I don't drink. I don't dismiss the enjoyment that a huge percentage of guests get out of it. Heck, Epcot sees more guests on a weekend F&W night than a summer night by a long shot. I don't say it is a terrible idea though. Or worse a failure.

Looks more than enjoyable enough for the general public to get quite the kick out of. Disney guests really must get over their "why wasn't this designed more for me" mentality.

jjnshane

Another bashing by people that are not the target audience of a Disney Parks product......ugh......

Seriously, I don't expect everybody to love The Country Bears, but for me, no trip is complete without it.

We all have different expectations for a Disney visit. I don't enjoy Food and Wine one bit. None of the food is good. I don't drink. I don't dismiss the enjoyment that a huge percentage of guests get out of it. Heck, Epcot sees more guests on a weekend F&W night than a summer night by a long shot. I don't say it is a terrible idea though. Or worse a failure.

Looks more than enjoyable enough for the general public to get quite the kick out of. Disney guests really must get over their "why wasn't this designed more for me" mentality.

:sohappy: Well said! My daughter and I will enjoy this -- my husband will roll his eyes and think that it is stupid and will refuse to run around from location to location. Not everything is for everyone.

GLaDOS

I think it has more to do with money being spent on a throw-away experience with little involvement or heart while rides in the park continue to rot away.

WDWGoof07

If there is a ride I do not like, I can choose not to ride it, and, as long the show building upholds the integrity of the theme and aesthetics of the areas surrounding it, I can live with it.

Now, refer to any of the videos posted here that show the Sorcerers station inside Tortuga Tavern. The whole experience is so loud that it calls unwarranted attention to itself away from the theme of the restaurant. It destroys the atmosphere. There is no attempt to make any part of it fit the theme of that area of Adventureland. Kim Possible was better designed in this regard because the events players initiate are a "blink-and-you'll-miss-it" affair for outsiders. That inspires curiosity without obtruding on the atmosphere for people who don't care for the game. Likewise, the temporary stations for Food & Wine, in addition to fitting the theme of a showcase of countries, are usually not in the pavilions themselves, which upholds the experience for people not interested in the festival.

The problems of the Tortuga Tavern station are a microcosm of the whole. What you're saying is that it is okay to abandon the ambient integrity of entire swaths of cleverly designed spaces just because the kiddies will like it. I even take issue with that premise. Had this stuff been in place when I was a kid, I wouldn't really be interested. For an experience that advertises doing battle with Disney villains and tries (and fails, from what I've seen) to instill some suspense and urgency to the affair, the gameplay is so easy it is stupid. Pokemon and whatever games kids play on their iPhones nowadays are more challenging. Kim Possible gets around this by playing up the "covert agent" aspect of the game and focusing on exploring the nooks and crannies of the parks. If Sorcerers was more of a scavenger hunt-type game with physical props and subtler effects, it would be something I could enjoy.

But, hey, what do I know? As you said, I'm not in the target audience for Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom, so I guess my opinions aren't valid (unless, of course, I said I loved it).

bullsforthewin

If there is a ride I do not like, I can choose not to ride it, and, as long the show building upholds the integrity of the theme and aesthetics of the areas surrounding it, I can live with it.

Now, refer to any of the videos posted here that show the Sorcerers station inside Tortuga Tavern. The whole experience is so loud that it calls unwarranted attention to itself away from the theme of the restaurant. It destroys the atmosphere. There is no attempt to make any part of it fit the theme of that area of Adventureland. Kim Possible was better designed in this regard because the events players initiate are a "blink-and-you'll-miss-it" affair for outsiders. That inspires curiosity without obtruding on the atmosphere for people who don't care for the game. Likewise, the temporary stations for Food & Wine, in addition to fitting the theme of a showcase of countries, are usually not in the pavilions themselves, which upholds the experience for people not interested in the festival.

The problems of the Tortuga Tavern station are a microcosm of the whole. What you're saying is that it is okay to abandon the ambient integrity of entire swaths of cleverly designed spaces just because the kiddies will like it. I even take issue with that premise. Had this stuff been in place when I was a kid, I wouldn't really be interested. For an experience that advertises doing battle with Disney villains and tries (and fails, from what I've seen) to instill some suspense and urgency to the affair, the gameplay is so easy it is stupid. Pokemon and whatever games kids play on their iPhones nowadays are more challenging. Kim Possible gets around this by playing up the "covert agent" aspect of the game and focusing on exploring the nooks and crannies of the parks. If Sorcerers was more of a scavenger hunt-type game with physical props and subtler effects, it would be something I could enjoy.

But, hey, what do I know? As you said, I'm not in the target audience for Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom, so I guess my opinions aren't valid (unless, of course, I said I loved it).

You have no idea what you are talking about....one poster who ACTUALLY played it said that the volume is not TOO LOUD...so you fail on that...

Your opinions are not valid because you have no idea what you are talking about...back to Universal for you...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom