Say Cheese! Mickey Is catching you with Red Lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

menamechris

There are comments made here that hint at an answer to my question. Does anyone know if Disney does in fact hold some type of influence regarding the ticketing of tourists on their local roads? (Again, this question comes from someone with no "Disney" related traffic tickets.)

Hhhhmmm...I'll put it this way. If a call is made to the Sheriff's office to increase their presence on the roads into and onto property, the Sheriff's office seems happy to oblige... This was clear when there was a deputy sitting at the entrance to enforce the "No Stopping" signs as you enter property. And they were writing tickets.....

rsoxguy

Hhhhmmm...I'll put it this way. If a call is made to the Sheriff's office to increase their presence on the roads into and onto property, the Sheriff's office seems happy to oblige... This was clear when there was a deputy sitting at the entrance to enforce the "No Stopping" signs as you enter property. And they were writing tickets.....

Do you believe that they have influence toward the other direction? (As in, "Hey guys, leave the tourists alone, lest they grow to hate us because of our police presence")

menamechris

Do you believe that they have influence toward the other direction? (As in, "Hey guys, leave the tourists alone, lest they grow to hate us because of our police presence")

To be honest (and I have no proof of this other than observation) - I think law enforcement understands what Disney wants from them when they are there. And believe me, you rarely see a tourist driving like a maniac through the resort. Most are going too slow because they have no idea where they are going. Cast members, on the other hand, drive like bats out of hell. I have no problem identifying who is a confused tourist and who is speeding to get to work on time - so I am sure the cops don't either.

rsoxguy

To be honest (and I have no proof of this other than observation) - I think law enforcement understands what Disney wants from them when they are there. And believe me, you rarely see a tourist driving like a maniac through the resort. Most are going too slow because they have no idea where they are going. Cast members, on the other hand, drive like bats out of hell. I have no problem identifying who is a confused tourist and who is speeding to get to work on time - so I am sure the cops don't either.

That's funny, and it makes sense. I'm a fairly careful driver, so I don't worry about these things, but I am curious as to how much influence Disney has over the tickets given on their adjoining roads.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There are comments made here that hint at an answer to my question. Does anyone know if Disney does in fact hold some type of influence regarding the ticketing of tourists on their local roads? (Again, this question comes from someone with no "Disney" related traffic tickets.)
No idea, and if they did it would have to be kept seriously hush-hush which would lead me to believe that they don't. Could you imagine the back lash if one of the union attorneys got wind that the OCS and Disney got together to target CM's for traffic violations while letting tourists go? I think the most they could legally do is put the speed traps, red light cams, etc in locations that CM's would frequent and guests would rarely go. When I use to stay at a friends house off property we would come in the back way form 535 to E Buena Vista and there was almost always a speed trap set up just past SSR.

boufa

There are 2 answers to the influence question... Broad and specific. Does Disney have any influence over specific tickets... Absolutly not. Once the ticket is written it is in the court system and well out of reach of Disney. Broad.. like selecting locations for enforment, absolutly yes. Imagine if someone ran a red light at an intersection where Disney told the sherriff to not enforce... How much would that suit err settlment be for.

From a liabilty point of view disneys best practice would be to leave the cops make the decision. As for targetting cast members. The constitution specifically prohibits selective prosecution. That's another if they get caught they are screwed moment. Now the cops may give the edge in an appeal to a tourist.

motueka68

There is a way around this.....

HAIRSPRAY.....

Spray a couple of coats on your license plates....
Will reflect the flash I am told... camera won't be able to show the plate...

Simple Enough...
:goodnevil

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
HAIRSPRAY.....

Spray a couple of coats on your license plates....
Will reflect the flash I am told... camera won't be able to show the plate...

Simple Enough...
:goodnevil

That's a myth which has been busted on more than one occasion. Best bet is simply not try to burn through the light.....

motueka68

Not sure about myth or not.. it's just what I heard from a bunch of Australian friends ... there they have speed cameras all over and such...

erasure fan1

All over America they are putting these cameras in. They say it cuts down head on collisions, but if you do your research rear end collisions have increased. All those people scared of getting a ticket slamming on their brakes.

Yes I see this all the time by me. With plenty of time to make the yellow (without gunning it) people jam on the brakes and you often hear tires squealing because of being over cautious.

I wouldn't complain about it, nor do I think it's a conspiracy, but I do think it's lazy law enforcement and more of an excuse to make $ than for actual safety.

Oh wait, that would be a conspiracy, right? :)

In any case, I drive myself around Disney every time I am there, and as I don't run lights, I think I'll be OK. :)

I agree, I see it as a "well heres a great way for us to make some extra cash and not really do much." The most recent intersection by me to get one is more dangerous now for the reasons I stated above.

Now for the serious question?

Can I get the photo added to my photopass CD? Are there any magic shots you can get with it? Maybe they could add an image of Stitch somewhere.
Nicely done! :lol:

GenerationX

We've got red light cameras all over the place in Chicagoland. There has been quite the backlash, but mainly over the right turn on red cameras. Many have since been removed, due to the outrage over the frequent ticketing of people for not waiting a full three seconds before starting their turn.

Given the horrible public opinion of right turn on red cameras, I doubt Disney would bother with them. The red light cameras are less despised, though the jury is still out as to whether they truly make the roads much safer.

I see more negatives here for Disney than I see positives. The roads may be slightly safer, but the loss of goodwill from confused tourists and underpaid CMs getting tickets tips the scales to the "will ultimately be removed" direction.

gators11

Legally, no. In reality, I am sure they were consulted. The roads I believe are actual public roads. That is why they are patrolled and enforced by the local sheriff. There is no difference between one of the main disney roads, and US 192. A public road is a public road from a legal view.

The deal in most Ohio cities that use the cams is that it is a $100 civil fine (so no points) similar to a parking ticket. It is split where the city receives approx $65 and the rest goes to the camera company. In our cases the city cannot lose (except in court) because they don't pay the camera company.

** Watch on rental cars!!!! Recent articles indicate that the major rental companies will turn over your credit card number and ATS (the biggest traffic cam company) will simply automatically charge your credit card for the fine AND an administrative fee. This is not a conspiracy, this is the program. There are several lawsuits to stop this practice, but as of an article from March 2011, it is still going on.

All the road within Disney's property line are owned and maintained by WDW. They are defined as there own "city" and therefore the Orange County Sheriff's Office does not have jurisdiction over it. Disney has made a agreement to both the OCSO and the Florida Highway Patrol to assist them because they do not have their own police force. FHP is called to any traffic related incidents on property and OCSO is called for any other crimes, shoplifting, fights, creepy guys at Typhoon Lagoon etc.
OCSO and FHP can't patrol or conduct traffic stops (unless they witness a felony) because it's not in their jurisdiction. The only expection I've seen is along World Dr north between Vista and Timberline Dr during high CM shift-change times because of the amount of accident that have happened along that stretch including at least one fatal MVA.

As for the red light cameras they are a scam. To begin with the municipality that has them install does not keep all of the fine the violators pay. They only keep 50% of it. The other 50% goes to the Arizona company that installs them because the municipality does not own them but technically rents them. If you were to get pulled over by a deputy for the same violation you would receive a higher fine as well as more points. It is not right at all.

boufa

Traffic cameras are NOT lazy Law Enforcement.....because they are not really law enforcement. Rarely if ever has a cop (except for political positions like chief) actually supported or called for traffic cameras. There has never been an accident that people have screamed "where was the traffic camera!" The decision on placement is strictly based on where the most violations occur, not where the greatest safety need is. The police have nothing to do with them.

trr1

I wonder if Disney busses will get the device that police cars and ambulances do? The one that switches the light from red to green on a traffic light

boufa

I wonder if Disney busses will get the device that police cars and ambulances do? The one that switches the light from red to green on a traffic light

Around here those are called Opticom. There are difeent systems, some listen for the siren others (like the opticom) use either visible or infrared strobes. Those systems are illegal in most states except on emergency vehicles.

Some public transportation systems use traffic signal priority devices to influence when the light changes, but they activate he light more like the road sensors that detect any other car.

acishere

We have lots of those where I live. How they work here (VA):

There are sensors at the intersection lined up with the white stop bar. As soon as the light turns red the sensor is active and a couple of things are done: 3 pictures (I think it's 3, but it may be 2) are taken and a 15 second video is taken. When the camera goes off there is a HUGE flash; you'll know you've been caught; at night it lights up the intersection practically.

Each ticket is reviewed by a person, so if you're behind a big tractor trailer which you may not be tailgating, but you can't see around, and you cross the line you won't get a ticket. Or if there is construction or an accident and the police wave you through the light you won't get a ticket. Or if you roll just a little onto the line and trigger the sensor, but you don't really run the light you won't get a ticket.

There are a lot of what if's involved which is why, here at least, each one is reviewed by a person.

My friend has a job working with the red light cameras; her and I had a long discussion about the logistics when they first started putting them up.

That's actually rather useful for me to know since a few days ago I stopped a little bit over the line and a flash went off. I spent the rest of that drive doing :brick: this against my steering wheel muttering a 4 letter word and I've been going to the mailbox everyday expecting to find my ticket. Hopefully it is like VA and films the incident so it shows me stopping.

Putting up camera's in WDW is less about safety and more about taking advantage of tourists who have no idea what they are doing. Its easy to accidentally run a red light when you are lost (and dealing with an obnoxious GPS), driving in a car that is unfamiliar to you, your kids are in back screaming that they have to use the bathroom/want to go on the rides/want to swim in the pool/hungry/want to know why they haven't seen Mickey Mouse yet, you might be from a country where everything in the car and on the road is on the opposite side so this is very foreign to you, now you are hungry/have to use the bathroom too, you aren't sure if the GPS is giving you the correct turn because that sign up there says Magic Kingdom is the turn after so which do you listen to, the light is yellow, the kids are STILL complaining, oh heck straight I'll go straight, and oh [string of expletives] you just went through the red light and a flash went off. Even better since the rental company will just automatically charge the driver's credit card (unless that is changed). Quick revenue.

Figment1986

interesting, I would wonder is one of the cities on the property connected to these new cameras, or did orange county decide to get in on the action since Orlando has so many.

AEfx

Traffic cameras are NOT lazy Law Enforcement.....because they are not really law enforcement. Rarely if ever has a cop (except for political positions like chief) actually supported or called for traffic cameras. There has never been an accident that people have screamed "where was the traffic camera!" The decision on placement is strictly based on where the most violations occur, not where the greatest safety need is. The police have nothing to do with them.

I think you are misunderstanding. :)

Some of us think it's "lazy law enforcement" because...it's a lazy (and often flawed) enforcement...of the law.

I don't think anyone was directing comments like that to Police Officers themselves when they mention "Law Enforcement", but are talking about "law enforcement". Subtle but very different. ;)

KevinYee

Question: what about "reversing charges"?

A tourist from, say, Ohio, might find a red light ticket charge slapped on his rental car VISA the next month... and then he might call Citibank and say "that wasn't me!!" (whether he is lying, mistaken, or just unwilling to pay is beside the point).

The VISA holder kind of holds all the cards, here (metaphorically speaking), right? There's no way to force payment if they reverse the charges at the credit card level, as far as I know.

majortom1981

here on long island these cameras have helped in a lot of accidents because it shows who ran the light.

Also(here on long island) the red light cameras are only a $50 ticket. They do not get reported as points on your license or the insurance company. For points they would have to prove that the owner of the car was driving and things like that so most of these cameras are only a fine.

You are supposed to COMPLETELY STOP for 3 seconds before making a turn on red. So if you get a ticket because of turning right on red you did not stop for 3 seconds. HEre they have been fixing this by making red light camera corners no turn on red.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom