SSE Paperboy

ChrisE405

Original Poster
Just got back from the 2010 edition of my annual Disney Vacation. Has the paperboy on SSE always faced the wall and not the time rovers? His back was to the rovers and I could swear it hasn't always been that way. Figured someone here would know for sure.

Rob562

Ahh yes...Time Machine. How could I forget? Anyways does anyone know why they moved him?

When SSE first reopened after the refurb, he was missing for a while, then he reappeared in static form where he is now, facing away from the vehicles, with his audio playing. They also quickly added a "street" backdrop behind him to make it seem less like he's shouting at a wall.

The rumor/theory was that the AA was damaged in some way during the refurb, hence his static stance when he returned. Eventually he was fixed and put into motion where he still stands now, facing away from the cars.

I've always hoped that they'd go back in and move him back to his rightful place, but I presume they haven't had the budget/manpower to do it.

Maybe when they get back in there and fix the descent... :lookaroun

-Rob

TuffyCatt

Since we're talking about the paperboy anyway, mind if I ask a little bit about his history? My dad loves SSE, and the paperboy is his favorite animatronic, so I'd love to know a little more about some of the changes that have been made to him over the years. This seems like the perfect place to ask.

Anyway, main thing I'm interested in learning about is the change in his dialogue from "Extra, extra, New York Daily!" to the more generic "Extra, extra, read all about it!" Does anyone know why this change was made (I know this was done long ago, not with the last refurb but with earlier ones, but I'm still interested if anyone knows why it was done)? I also remember some talk on here about there being quite a lot of change in the deepness of his voice over the years.

My poor dad is still a bit sad about the paperboy being moved to face the wall since the last refurb. It figures that the one thing he always talks about in that attraction would be something that would be changed around rather dramatically. But, we're quite thankful that our favorite paperboy is at least still present and accounted for.:)

LucyintheSky

I'm not sure why, but the paperboy facing the wall sort of creeps me out. It's like I feel if I could go look at him, he wouldn't have a face!:lookaroun

I know-that's weird. But I wish he'd face the cars again.

Foolish Mortal

I'm not sure why, but the paperboy facing the wall sort of creeps me out. It's like I feel if I could go look at him, he wouldn't have a face!:lookaroun

You're not the only one !! Your no face scenario sounds like something out of Twilight Zone.

the-reason14

I remember before this refurb he was facing the vehicles and had a deep teenage boy voice. It never really made sense, but it 'worked' I guess because I got used to it. Him facing the wall is kinda strange, but at least he sounds the way he looks. :shrug:

Last time I saw him he was still moving. I always thought his "face" looked too much like an adult and had heard that many people found it disturbing which led to him facing the wall.

RSoxNo1

Since we're talking about the paperboy anyway, mind if I ask a little bit about his history? My dad loves SSE, and the paperboy is his favorite animatronic, so I'd love to know a little more about some of the changes that have been made to him over the years. This seems like the perfect place to ask.

Anyway, main thing I'm interested in learning about is the change in his dialogue from "Extra, extra, New York Daily!" to the more generic "Extra, extra, read all about it!" Does anyone know why this change was made (I know this was done long ago, not with the last refurb but with earlier ones, but I'm still interested if anyone knows why it was done)? I also remember some talk on here about there being quite a lot of change in the deepness of his voice over the years.

My poor dad is still a bit sad about the paperboy being moved to face the wall since the last refurb. It figures that the one thing he always talks about in that attraction would be something that would be changed around rather dramatically. But, we're quite thankful that our favorite paperboy is at least still present and accounted for.:)

His voice/speech changed when they re-did the narration from Walter Cronkite to Jeremy Irons. I miss the "Extra, extra New York Daily" line as well.

ryno1982

The paperboy facing the wall is just another example of the bizarre things the imagineers changed during the last refurb that make no sense.

disneypearl

I agree. I wish they would put him back to facing us. It is just a little too creepy with his back to us.

WDW Monorail

He turns his head sideways to look in the direction of the ride vehicles. Sort of a look over his shoulder.

t3techcom18

The paperboy facing the wall is just another example of the bizarre things the imagineers changed during the last refurb that make no sense.

It was a force of hand, not their fault.

Now, the missing Roman carriage horse animation...yes, you can blame them for, haha.

t3techcom18

The rumor/theory was that the AA was damaged in some way during the refurb, hence his static stance when he returned. Eventually he was fixed and put into motion where he still stands now, facing away from the cars.

I've always hoped that they'd go back in and move him back to his rightful place, but I presume they haven't had the budget/manpower to do it.

Bingo, right altogether.

ChrisE405

Original Poster
I hear ya...I have been there many times since the refurb but did not notice the paperboy until now. Seems very strange to have him facing away from the time machine. Why even have him or the voice at all if he isn't going to face the time machine? I'd like to see the descent finished as well because the "Jetsons" game is getting old fast.

Also, is it me or is UoE really getting old as well? The whole attraction is stale and needs attention! But with so many other things that need help over at Epcot I doubt we'll see anything happening there anytime soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom