How does the dining plan work with kids under 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

musketeer

Original Poster
We're planning a trip with our 1 1/2 year old girls in December. We are considering the dining plan, but my question is, since the girls are free for the parks, how does the dining plan work. Obviously they don't eat free, but they also don't have park tickets, so it isn't clear to me how you have the dining plan without park tickets. Or maybe they really do have park tickets, but they are just free??

I'm not quite sure how this whole thing works with kids under 3.

lilclerk

Well the dining plan is attached to your hotel room stay, not your park tickets (you could stay in the hotel for 8 nights but only have 3 days worth of park tickets, and you'd get 8 dining credits) so your daughters would not have tickets if they're under 3.
They also don't get the dining plan. You'd need to share your meals with them or maybe purchase one kid's meal and split it between the two of them.

sbkline

Kids under 3 don't get the dining plan. I think most people, with kids that age, just feed their kids off of their own plates, since they don't eat very large portions, or they pack baby food in the diaper bag for the child. I suppose if you wanted to order a seperate entree off the kiddie menu, you can, but you would just pay out of pocket for it. But even with the buffets, I think they tell you that if you want to get a little extra for the child, that it's okay, and they don't charge for that.

musketeer

Original Poster
Kids under 3 don't get the dining plan. I think most people, with kids that age, just feed their kids off of their own plates, since they don't eat very large portions, or they pack baby food in the diaper bag for the child. I suppose if you wanted to order a seperate entree off the kiddie menu, you can, but you would just pay out of pocket for it. But even with the buffets, I think they tell you that if you want to get a little extra for the child, that it's okay, and they don't charge for that.

People with 1 1/2 year olds just feed them off their own plates or bring baby food????? HUH????? Have you ever had a 1 1/2 year old????

My kids right now are 14 months old, they're done with baby food, and have been for a few months, and we don't feed them off our own plates, we order them stuff off kids menus.

dizzney

People with 1 1/2 year olds just feed them off their own plates or bring baby food????? HUH????? Have you ever had a 1 1/2 year old????

My kids right now are 14 months old, they're done with baby food, and have been for a few months, and we don't feed them off our own plates, we order them stuff off kids menus.

We did dining plan when we were there with our twins when they were 18 months, we ordered one child meal and split it between them, there was enough food for both and it didnt cost us much.

They will even give you a second plate so you can split it.

musketeer

Original Poster
I'm still confused about the statement about 1 1/2 year olds just eating from their parents plates or just eating baby food.

lilclerk

I'm still confused about the statement about 1 1/2 year olds just eating from their parents plates or just eating baby food.
:shrug: I'm sure kids all have different eating habits, maybe some just eat smaller meals and don't need the full kid's meal.

It's just a suggestion, and one that's brought up a lot.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Children under 3 are "Guests of Mickey". They stay free, get into the parks for free and eat free at buffets or sharing from their parents' plates at other dining locations [free kids' drinks will be provided]. If your child eats more than you're willing to share from your plate or simply doesn't like what you like, you have the options of feeding them food you bring with you or paying out of pocket to order from the children's menu.

Ultimately even if you buy them children's meals most places, it's still cheaper than buying them the DDP, since they can eat free at buffets.

sbkline

Okay, so 1 1/2 year olds don't eat baby food anymore, my bad. I have a 4 year old and a one year old. It's been a while since the 4 year old was 1 1/2 so I can't remember what he was eating at that age and the 1 year old still eats baby food. Well, she actually turns 1 in a couple of weeks.

But my original point still stands, as other people have said. At that age, you either feed them from your plate or feed them food you brought with you.

musketeer

Original Poster
But my original point still stands, as other people have said. At that age, you either feed them from your plate or feed them food you brought with you.

No it doesn't. I know lots of people with kids my age. When they go to a restaurant, they always order off of the kids menu.

durangojim

We just let our 2 y/o crawl around the floor of the restaurant and eat whatever she finds. Free and delicious!

musketeer

Original Poster
Here's another question then. Can I still buy the dining plan for my kids who are under 3? Because I'll be buying each of them a meal every time we eat, so why can't I do the dining plan for them? How is it different than a 5 year old. My kids will be ordering off the same menu, but I need to pay for it each time instead of being able to buy the dining plan. Why is that?

durangojim

Here's another question then. Can I still buy the dining plan for my kids who are under 3? Because I'll be buying each of them a meal every time we eat, so why can't I do the dining plan for them? How is it different than a 5 year old. My kids will be ordering off the same menu, but I need to pay for it each time instead of being able to buy the dining plan. Why is that?

I don't think you can, but you could also lie about your child's age and say he/she is 3 so then you could buy the plan.

DisneyJoe

Because I'll be buying each of them a meal every time we eat

Are you eating at any buffet meals? You don't need to pay for them there. That will save you $13.99 at Chef Mickey's, for example.

but I need to pay for it each time instead of being able to buy the dining plan. Why is that?

Many parents will look for the savings and share the food from their plates - or from the plates of other children in the family.

musketeer

Original Poster
Then you would need to buy them theme park admission too.

This contradicts someone else's post in this thread. Someone else said the dining plan is associated with your room, not your tickets.

So which is it? I'm getting more confused as time goes on.

DisneyJoe

This contradicts someone else's post in this thread. Someone else said the dining plan is associated with your room, not your tickets.

Dining IS associated with the number of nights of your room stay.

My point was if you told Disney that they were age 3 or older to get them dining, then they would also need theme park tickets since they are age 3 or over.

DisneyJoe

What is the logic of not allowing kids under 3 to not have the dining plan?

Hold that question for just a minute.

Have you looked at the kids menus on this site or allears? For lunch/dinner, most of them limit kids to either chicken, macaroni and cheese, and possibly pizza or pasta, if you are lucky - is this what your kids eat?

Do you plan on eating at any buffets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom