Should Pinocchio get more love in Fantasyland?

EPCOTPluto

I always thought that there should be a dark ride either to replace the Village Haus or to be added to it behind the restaurant.

While all the other parks have such a ride, we technically are the only park to not.

MKCP 1985

No, Pinocchio gets a featured restaurant and music from his movie gets played at various areas and events all through the Magic Kingdom. A Jiminy Cricket sighting is a happy and somewhat rare character event but a Gepetto sighting is kinda creepy.

The movie Pinocchio was a commercial disappointment at the time, despite being scored with some of the all time best music of any Disney feature animation film, and the highest level of hand drawn detail ever attempted. The failure to recapture those expenses put the company's future at risk.

I'd say movies such as Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland and Fantasia get just the right amount of exposure within the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World.

If you want to ask me about Jungle Book or Robin Hood or even Hercules getting the proper amount of exposure, well, that answer may be different! :lol:

DisneyParksFan1

I think the expansion should have gotten a Pinnochio land somewhere with a dark ride incorporated but I am still happy with what we are getting. If we were to get one in the future, I think they should replace Philharmagic or something for it. It could use the trackless ride system that is in use in TDL's Pooh ride.

tirian

No, Pinocchio gets a featured restaurant and music from his movie gets played at various areas and events all through the Magic Kingdom. A Jiminy Cricket sighting is a happy and somewhat rare character event but a Gepetto sighting is kinda creepy.

The movie Pinocchio was a commercial disappointment at the time, despite being scored with some of the all time best music of any Disney feature animation film, and the highest level of hand drawn detail ever attempted. The failure to recapture those expenses put the company's future at risk.

I'd say movies such as Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland and Fantasia get just the right amount of exposure within the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World.

If you want to ask me about Jungle Book or Robin Hood or even Hercules getting the proper amount of exposure, well, that answer may be different! :lol:

Its recent restoration was one of the best-selling DVDs of the year. Pinocchio's initial release is meaningless. Many classic movies were either disappointing or outright bombs on their first release: Wizard of Oz, Pinocchio, Blade Runner, Citizen Kane...

MKCP 1985

Its recent restoration was one of the best-selling DVDs of the year. Pinocchio's initial release is meaningless. Many classic movies were either disappointing or outright bombs on their first release: Wizard of Oz, Pinocchio, Blade Runner, Citizen Kane...

I was one who rushed out to purchase the Pinocchio on Blu Ray! I wanted to see that detail in all of its richness displayed in high definition wide screen. It is a beautifully crafted movie and the story is well told and it is a treasured addition to my movie library. :)

That doesn't mean I agree existing prime Fantasyland real estate should be converted to add space to Pinocchio.

How did the Pinocchio DVD sell as compared to any Pixar movie of your choice?

Going forward, the children of today and tomorrow (and their parents) would probably rather have a new ride based on something not already in the park and other than Pinocchio. :shrug:

jakeman

Additionally, I would not want to risk a clone of the Pinocchio ride from DL. It really isn't good.

Now Alice in Wonderland wouldn't be bad.

Figment632

Agreed!

Additionally, I would not want to risk a clone of the Pinocchio ride from DL. It really isn't good.

Now Alice in Wonderland wouldn't be bad.

Yea I love how Alice goes outside for part of the ride!

tirian

I was one who rushed out to purchase the Pinocchio on Blu Ray! I wanted to see that detail in all of its richness displayed in high definition wide screen. It is a beautifully crafted movie and the story is well told and it is a treasured addition to my movie library. :)

That doesn't mean I agree existing prime Fantasyland real estate should be converted to add space to Pinocchio.

How did the Pinocchio DVD sell as compared to any Pixar movie of your choice?

Going forward, the children of today and tomorrow (and their parents) would probably rather have a new ride based on something not already in the park and other than Pinocchio. :shrug:

Pixar films wouldn't go in Fantasyland anyway; FL is a mostly Euro-centric land of fairy-tales and children's stories, which makes Pinocchio fit. Plus, current DVD sales don't matter compared to a movie's long-term influence and importance.

I do understand what you're saying, and in today's WDI, you're correct in assuming that's what would be done. But that doesn't mean it's a good decision.

Matt and Kelly

Completely agree about Robin Hood!

You also made some good points about Pinocchio being featured in the park without an actual attraction but personally, I would love to see a little more.

_Scar

Pixar films wouldn't go in Fantasyland anyway; FL is a mostly Euro-centric land of fairy-tales and children's stories, which makes Pinocchio fit. Plus, current DVD sales don't matter compared to a movie's long-term influence and importance.

I do understand what you're saying, and in today's WDI, you're correct in assuming that's what would be done. But that doesn't mean it's a good decision.

Pixar isn't allowed in Fantasyland at all. Only DAS creations.

DisneyParksFan1

Pixar isn't allowed in Fantasyland at all. Only DAS creations.

DAS?

Oh and Pixar wouldn't really fit in Fantasyland. Although, if they were to incorporate some Pixar into Fantasyland I would have no problem it would be really interesting in my opinion. Remember when they had The Lion King in Fantasyland? Yeah, it didn't really fit but it was interesting to see those characters in FYL and I didn't mind.:shrug: Same goes for Pixar IMO.

_Scar

DAS?

Oh and Pixar wouldn't really fit in Fantasyland. Although, if they were to incorporate some Pixar into Fantasyland I would have no problem it would be really interesting in my opinion. Remember when they had The Lion King in Fantasyland? Yeah, it didn't really fit but it was interesting to see those characters in FYL and I didn't mind.:shrug: Same goes for Pixar IMO.

Disney Animation Studios. No Pixar or any other non Disney Animation aloud. The only one to break this is HM at Tokyo which is a huge :veryconfu

I've never seen a talking lion, have you? So it's fantasy. May it have been the best fit? Nah... but it still fit. :lol:

MKCP 1985

DAS?

Maybe not anything currently out, but never say never. I'll be surprised if Pixar doesn't legitimately find a place in Fantasyland after this comes out:

from http://pixarblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/brave-is-bear-and-bow.html

Bear_and_Bow.png

you may have to click on the link to see it. From Disney/Pixar: The Bear and the Bow

DisneyParksFan1

Disney Animation Studios. No Pixar or any other non Disney Animation aloud. The only one to break this is HM at Tokyo which is a huge :veryconfu

I've never seen a talking lion, have you? So it's fantasy. May it have been the best fit? Nah... but it still fit. :lol:

HM=Haunted Mansion? A huge what? :confused:

Have you ever seen a Rat talk, and cook food? That's fantasy as well.(On a side note, a Ratatouille ride would be awesome IMO). This could fit pretty well if it's well executed.

harryk

With the forcast renovations at Fantasyland a Pinochio ride would be a great addition especially for boys. Almost everything in FTL is aimed at girls. A dark ride through Monstro and Pleasure Island with the boys turning into donkeys would be just grand. I'm sure WDI could come up with a real exciting ride. With the closing of Mr Toad something more exciting needs to be added.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom