Virgin Megastore signage removed and replaced with Celebrate Today

TheDisneyMagic

To be fair, the Virgin Megastore closing had little to do with Disney... and mostly due to the fact that nobody buys CDs anymore, especially not at music store prices.

The signs are better than just having plain boarded up windows and construction walls.

Exactly right, these signs will only be there until someone eventually moves in to the store, or the building is converted in to something else. Disney could of simply left the building as it was but chose to remove the signage th attempt to avoid confusion for guests.

Surely you guys would rather see some colorful decorative doors opposed to being able to see inside an empty building.

SirNim

As a temporary stopgap measure which will allow more time to court or develop a new enterprise for that space, the "billboards" are OK.

If they're still there in 3-4 years, then we may just have a problem, though.

Jimmy Thick

Virgin had to go. If they didn't have any deals going on, the place was way over priced.

Something will fill it up shortly I'm sure.

Missing20K

"Oh look honey, let's go see the West Side, and go shopping at Marketplace, and then maybe get a drink at Pleasure Island."

"Where the heck is Pleasure Island?"

Maybe it's just me, but logic would suggest that, 1) The Virgin store closing was known for far longer than was let on, and 2) Pleasure Island closing must have not been planned for.

My reasoning is thus. The signs must have been created when PI was still thought of as a viable, money-making area, hence them promoting it with the signs that must have been known to take over the Virgin signs. The timing is just all out of whack. They know Virgin is closing so they create signs to cover up the empty store, yet the signs made are promoting an area that they are trying to "forget." Is TDO dropping the ball this much?? Did the PI closure really take them by surprise? You think management would know that an entire area would be closed by the time Virgin's signs needed replaced.

When did they make the new signs? If they made them months ago, PI closing caught them by surprise. If they made them last week, someone is an idiot. Neither option makes TDO look very good.

CaptainMichael

"Oh look honey, let's go see the West Side, and go shopping at Marketplace, and then maybe get a drink at Pleasure Island."

"Where the heck is Pleasure Island?"

When did they make the new signs? If they made them months ago, PI closing caught them by surprise. If they made them last week, someone is an idiot. Neither option makes TDO look very good.
Pleasure Island is very clearly labeled by a large neon sign at the Westside entrance, a much bigger sign on the back of a building facing the parking lot, and another lit up sign on the Marketplace sign.:D

I don't think it was ever planned for all of Pleasure Island to close at once. It was originally supposed to be staggerd and Adventurers Club and Comedy Warehouse were allegedly safe.

jt04

Pleasure Island is very clearly labeled by a large neon sign at the Westside entrance, a much bigger sign on the back of a building facing the parking lot, and another lit up sign on the Marketplace sign.:D

I don't think it was ever planned for all of Pleasure Island to close at once. It was originally supposed to be staggerd and Adventurers Club and Comedy Warehouse were allegedly safe.

Think of the remnants of PI (signage etc) as giant pacifiers. But it will all eventually be headed to Mouse Surplus or Disney auctions one piece at a time. Cause that is the way the mouse rolls.

dznygirl64

They never should have built the west side or pleasure island.Just what Walt would have wanted.I loved the village (downtown disney) back in the late 70s early 80s quiet and quality shopping and food.

What is funny is that the day they were closing I was there. I had no clue that it would be the last day. It was kinda sad to be honest walking and running around that area West Side DTD. We went to DisneyQuest and I probably will never do that again either. They really need to reconsider stuff there for sure. They should kinda make it like city walk at Universal or something like that maybe without the booze and stuff.

jonnyc

I miss it already! :cry:

It's sad to know that next time i'm there I can't go and spend all of my rents money on cds!

dazzer68

the market place was fine but beyond the trex restarant (which is way overhyped and overpriced) the whole thing seems to be a back alley to know where, with the caffine fed dj in the middle 'trying' to get people to dance in the middle of the alleyway, virgin has left a huge gap at dtd, la nouba was closed foe the 2 weeks i was there, so that whole area was deserted.
ps disney quest really needs to go, it needs ripping out, opening up, feeling less sleazy and dirty, brightning up and makeing it a family destiantion and not just for pubescent spotty boys., we were there for about 10 minutes and when we could eventually find the exit, we lft and never returned.

jt04

Am I the only one that's thinking :veryconfu after this post??

jt, care to elaborate (or am I reading WAY too much into your :drevil: ?)

It's not unusual for a company to want their competition to be in the dark about what they are doing or even have them think they are mired down even if they are not. Pure conjecture by me.

However, Disney just announced two new contracts for the DL version of DTD and LaNouba just extended their contract. So things might not be as chaotic as they appear. Could be the "bold new vision" for DTD is hidden away behind cypher locks and non-disclosure agreements. Could be.

EPCOT Explorer

It's not unusual for a company to want their competition to be in the dark about what they are doing or even have them think they are mired down even if they are not. Pure conjecture by me.

However, Disney just announced two new contracts for the DL version of DTD and LaNouba just extended their contract. So things might not be as chaotic as they appear. Could be the "bold new vision" for DTD is hidden away behind cypher locks and non-disclosure agreements. Could be.

Doing what, may I ask?

protiius

i haven't been to dtd since last september but i imagine it looks pretty deserted now! shame...hope the future is brighter than the present...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom